Another Ram 3500 build...

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I believe Cole said that 1in 5 Ram trucks that they have their gear vendor modify has a Torsen style diff in the front. Said one can only find out when they open it?
Nice truck. I think there are no limited slips in any Ram front axles, but not sure why they would make it up? From my experience the Ram limited slip in the rear axle is a worthless turd, hopefully yours isn't.

blackdmax15

Observer
I am lucky enough to have both in the driveway and I appreciate both for very different reasons. The Ford is a KR and has every bell and whistle imaginable and while they aren't all necessary they sure are nice to have on long road trips and since it is used as the DD. The Ram cost nearly $20K less and it shows, but we bought it in a lower trim level on purpose. It is to be used as the camp rig, hunting truck, dog hauler, overland tool, etc. I prefer a simpler platform with less to go wrong for a vehicle that will be used in such a manner and it fits the bill nicely for that intended purpose. In all honesty, if it weren't for the PW I would have never purchased a Ram, we would have simply built an XL or XLT diesel 4x4 instead, but the PW goodies lured us in and in the end I am glad that we purchased it. It's also nice to not have two diesel maintenance bills as well.

Concur with both statements. I ended up with the truck modified as shown for about 12-15k less than a new KR. The purpose of the truck is to be a truck and not care if the kids or trees/rocks ding it now and again. I really just wanted a 4dr diesel Jeep on 37s/39s and one tons, but even with that I can’t tow anything nor fit my camping gear, so here I am. I love the vinyl seats and work truck look. I wanted the truck to look like a work truck on steroids. I think i was successful.

blackdmax15

Observer
Newest realization is that I don’t like the level look. I got the 1.75” front coils so the truck would still have a rake, but it’s fairly level. Now to find a 1.5” block or different springs. Carli has an add a leaf for 400$ and Thuren has the full leaf replacement for 1100, but I want 1.5” to get back to the stock ass end high look. May even consider a block so the valving of the Thuren kings still work. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I am at a loss as to why you would want the factory rake? Most people spend money right out of the gate just to get rid of that look, myself included lol. I am not saying it's wrong or anything of the sort, I am just trying to understand what you like about it so much that you are willing to spend money to retain that look.

Kingsize24

Newest realization is that I don’t like the level look. I got the 1.75” front coils so the truck would still have a rake, but it’s fairly level. Now to find a 1.5” block or different springs. Carli has an add a leaf for 400$ and Thuren has the full leaf replacement for 1100, but I want 1.5” to get back to the stock ass end high look. May even consider a block so the valving of the Thuren kings still work. Thoughts?

https://www.suspensionconnection.com/97094-ram-3500.html

Kingsize24

I am at a loss as to why you would want the factory rake? Most people spend money right out of the gate just to get rid of that look, myself included lol. I am not saying it's wrong or anything of the sort, I am just trying to understand what you like about it so much that you are willing to spend money to retain that look.

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer

I'm the same way. 1.75" Thurens on my 3500. Hook up my 21ft Yellowfin and it sits ass low. Looks like crap. I want another 1.5" in the back.

Dalko43

Explorer

Some would argue that the factory rake, while perhaps not cool-looking, serves an important purpose in that the rear end will sit somewhat level (rather than sagging) when under load. I'd prefer to have a factory rake rather have to deal with headlights titled towards the sky when towing or hauling.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I get that under load it can make the rear end sag, but the majority of us spend 90%+ of our time without a load behind the truck. My Alumiduty sits close to level and doesn't sag past level even with 17,000lbs behind it, it however, has leaves in the rear and not the softer coils of the 3/4-ton Ram. This is where I think air bags come into play, they allow you to keep a good stance and then provide the necessary lift in the rear for those occasions when its needed for work and play.

Dalko43

Explorer

I wonder if adding weight to the front end (bumper, winch) will bring it down a little bit.

It's interesting that Thuren offers some aftermarket leaves. I hadn't seen them previously on the website. Does the Carli add-a-leaf pack work with Thuren's suspension?

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I get that under load it can make the rear end sag, but the majority of us spend 90%+ of our time without a load behind the truck. My Alumiduty sits close to level and doesn't sag past level even with 17,000lbs behind it, it however, has leaves in the rear and not the softer coils of the 3/4-ton Ram. This is where I think air bags come into play, they allow you to keep a good stance and then provide the necessary lift in the rear for those occasions when its needed for work and play.

Assuming your 17000# boat has a triple axle trailer I think you'd be surprised how little tongue weight it has. Towing the last offshore boat I had with a triple axle trailer I could spin the tires from a stop with it hooked up because the tongue weight was so low. Also we are talking about leaf sprung 3500s here.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Assuming your 17000# boat has a triple axle trailer I think you'd be surprised how little tongue weight it has. Towing the last offshore boat I had with a triple axle trailer I could spin the tires from a stop with it hooked up because the tongue weight was so low. Also we are talking about leaf sprung 3500s here.

Yes, true! I've always wanted to try one of those Weigh Safe hitches so that I could see the actual tongue load of that particular boat/trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne