Another Ram 3500 build...

blackdmax15

Observer
I've always done food in the fridge in the bed/camper and drinks/beer in a Yeti or soft Rtic in the back seat floor. I find I can reach back and grab stuff if I put the cooler right behind the console and it isn't in any one's way. Also, there is no comparing pulling a beer out of an ice slurry and pulling one out of the fridge at the end of the day. Every few days I drain some water and put a 10# block and a 10# bag of ice in and it will stay cold the better part of a week with the block holding down the fort. I've found blocks are fairly easy to find at grocery stores in the mountains.

Just something to think about.
That’s what we have been doing with the Yukon setup. I have a yeti roadie and that we use for small items, but when we go camping for a few days we bring full size orange/apple/fruit juice bottles so I may need to get a larger yeti to facilitate that. Gives me an excuse to get a tundra 50since they are discontinuing them! Great idea haha. Concur with block ice I just make my own and it works great.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I keep a Yeti Roadie 20 and an RTIC soft sided cooler for in the cab of both trucks. I agree that nothing beats a beer out of slurry ice, its the only way to go when it comes to drinks, leave the fridge/freezer for food and condiments.

Dalko43

Explorer
Asfir sliders? This is the first time I've heard someone hear mention using their stuff. I didn't know they made sliders for the 2500/3500, but I know they make skid plates. Really, they're the only ones who provide full coverage for all the major components underneath (engine oil pan, transmission, fuel tank, DEF tank). Otherwise you're looking at adapting PW skid plates, which involves some frame modifications, as I understand it.

How do you like the Aisin? Overall, most owners seem to love that transmission, but I've heard a small, but vocal, minority complain about shifting issues (something to do with pedal lag when accelerating).

Great build so far! Thuren seems to be one of the two preferred suspension setup's for these trucks (the other being Carli).

Kingsize24

Explorerinil

Observer
Asfir sliders? This is the first time I've heard someone hear mention using their stuff. I didn't know they made sliders for the 2500/3500, but I know they make skid plates. Really, they're the only ones who provide full coverage for all the major components underneath (engine oil pan, transmission, fuel tank, DEF tank). Otherwise you're looking at adapting PW skid plates, which involves some frame modifications, as I understand it.

How do you like the Aisin? Overall, most owners seem to love that transmission, but I've heard a small, but vocal, minority complain about shifting issues (something to do with pedal lag when accelerating).

Great build so far! Thuren seems to be one of the two preferred suspension setup's for these trucks (the other being Carli).
There is a software update for older Aisin trans which improves that. The Aisin is a true medium duty trans, behind the cummins it’s an awesome combo.

blackdmax15

Observer

My apologies I meant skid plates. I’m super happy with the WKO sliders. Super burly and while I had reservations about bolt on sliders, they should work for the mild wheeling I plan in doing in a large truck. I love the look of Randy Ellis sliders, but I don’t like the idea of mounting them to the pinch seam even though they have probably been tested and effective. With 3 kids 5 and under, the large step bars will come in handy for years to come.

I only have a little over 800 miles on the truck, and I have only found one quirk with the transmission. At 65mph indicated (about 72 actual via gps), I put the truck in tow haul mode and it was searching between 5th and 6th gear while on a 3% incline. It upshifted and downshifted about 5 times in 15 seconds before took it out of tow haul mode. Then it would just hold 6th gear and lug around 1400rpm. I’m 98% sure it was just due to the load shown vs speed and it couldn’t decide. But that’s about it. It is slightly laggy, but this isn’t meant to be a rocket ship. 4.30or 4.56gears would wake it up and solve the tranny searching issue under load, but that was a fairly steep grade. This is the first build I have been completely content with from the start. Buying it 90% of what I wanted helped. And for background info I have had 4x duramax diesels from 2002 to 2011 and loved the Allison. And the weeks before I received this truck I had been driving my dads 2017 F-350 king ranch. So far zero regrets going with modified work truck and saving 12-15 thousand over buying a new king ranch. His truck is wicked nice, but for my intended purpose this will do. I would totally consider going this route with a work truck ford and Carli 2.5 pintop. Neither would be a bad choice but figured i’d Try a Ram again. Last Ram was the 2001 24 valve that was great as well except the interior fit and finish.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
And the weeks before I received this truck I had been driving my dads 2017 F-350 king ranch. So far zero regrets going with modified work truck and saving 12-15 thousand over buying a new king ranch. His truck is wicked nice, but for my intended purpose this will do. I would totally consider going this route with a work truck ford and Carli 2.5 pintop. Neither would be a bad choice but figured i’d Try a Ram again. Last Ram was the 2001 24 valve that was great as well except the interior fit and finish.

I am blessed to have both, well a 2018 PW 6.4L Hemi and a 2017 F-250 FX4 6.7L PSD King Ranch. I agree that the Ford wins in the fit and finish and even the amenities department (for now) and the PSD and tranny are well sorted. If forced to choose I would have hard time choosing which to keep. I love the diesel, it's my preferred power plant, but the lockers, suspension, sway bar disco, and lower gears on the PW make for a better platform for an overlanding/off-road rig. If I had to do it all over again I likely would have ordered a F-350 XLT PSD 4x4 with vinyl seats and floors, Navigation, SYNC, and Quad Beam LED headlights. I would remove and sell the bed and then have a custom aluminum flatbed made with underside storage boxes and a FWC on top. Carli 2.5" suspension and 37's.

All of that said, I am becoming more and more pleased with the PW and I am slowly coming around to the idea of a gasser as my DD/main rig.

Explorerinil

Observer
My apologies I meant skid plates. I’m super happy with the WKO sliders. Super burly and while I had reservations about bolt on sliders, they should work for the mild wheeling I plan in doing in a large truck. I love the look of Randy Ellis sliders, but I don’t like the idea of mounting them to the pinch seam even though they have probably been tested and effective. With 3 kids 5 and under, the large step bars will come in handy for years to come.

I only have a little over 800 miles on the truck, and I have only found one quirk with the transmission. At 65mph indicated (about 72 actual via gps), I put the truck in tow haul mode and it was searching between 5th and 6th gear while on a 3% incline. It upshifted and downshifted about 5 times in 15 seconds before took it out of tow haul mode. Then it would just hold 6th gear and lug around 1400rpm. I’m 98% sure it was just due to the load shown vs speed and it couldn’t decide. But that’s about it. It is slightly laggy, but this isn’t meant to be a rocket ship. 4.30or 4.56gears would wake it up and solve the tranny searching issue under load, but that was a fairly steep grade. This is the first build I have been completely content with from the start. Buying it 90% of what I wanted helped. And for background info I have had 4x duramax diesels from 2002 to 2011 and loved the Allison. And the weeks before I received this truck I had been driving my dads 2017 F-350 king ranch. So far zero regrets going with modified work truck and saving 12-15 thousand over buying a new king ranch. His truck is wicked nice, but for my intended purpose this will do. I would totally consider going this route with a work truck ford and Carli 2.5 pintop. Neither would be a bad choice but figured i’d Try a Ram again. Last Ram was the 2001 24 valve that was great as well except the interior fit and finish.
That shifting issue will go away with gears, I had the same issue. Awesome build btw.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
If I had to do it all over again I likely would have ordered a F-350 XLT PSD 4x4 with vinyl seats and floors, Navigation, SYNC, and Quad Beam LED headlights. I would remove and sell the bed and then have a custom aluminum flatbed made with underside storage boxes and a FWC on top. Carli 2.5" suspension and 37's.

All of that said, I am becoming more and more pleased with the PW and I am slowly coming around to the idea of a gasser as my DD/main rig.

unfortunately Ford forces you to do a Lariat Ultimate package to even get the quad beam LED's unless you want to rig them aftermarket, which is notttttttt cheap.

Dalko43

Explorer

Awesome feedback! I think you're shifting issues will be resolved once you get re-geared.

How hard was the install of the Asfir skid plates? I know they're aluminum, but I figure for the usage a typical 3/4 ton will see (especially with an overland-oriented owner) they should be more than sufficient.
Also, how hard were they to get? Does anyone in North America distribute them or did you have to ship them from overseas?

ttengineer

Adventurer
For what it's worth the Randy Ellis Sleekster rails can be had with a step too. They will also work with amp power steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94