Another OVRLND Camper Build

Pshin

Hi, I'm relatively new to Expedition Portal. I came across a few other OVRLND build threads on this site and thought this would be a good place to share/document my build. Other OVRLND owners have been super helpful in bouncing around ideas and sharing their experiences. Most of this has been through Instagram, but this seems like a better place to get into more detail.

We have had the camper since January so this has been a few months coming. *Warning* this first post will be lengthy...

Truck: 2019 Chevy Colorado, V6, Z71 trim, with a short bed.
Camper: OVRLND camper with: 2 side doors, front and rear windows, standard rear door, and added 2 inch height to stow bedding while traveling.

Install day!
IMG_5010.JPG

Empty shell (except two small pieces of foam insulation on the sides)
IMG_5529.JPG

The first thing we did was insulate the walls and ceiling using 1 inch rigid foam insulation from Home Depot. We applied 3M spray adhesives to the backs and placed them into each spot. This process was fairly straightforward, though somewhat time consuming due to so many different pieces. Flat walls and 90 degree angles made this much easier.
IMG_5535.JPG

Then we added some white corrugated plastic as a finishing touch
IMG_5540.JPG

Next, we had to think of some storage options. Features we were looking for: access most storage from both inside and outside, maintain some interior living space, be easy/quick to remove for when we need the truck bed. With the short bed (5'2") we needed to utilize every inch, so I bought a few latching weatherproof containers from the Container Store and sized everything to fit them.

I should also mention, the OVRLND camper comes standard with an upper aluminum extrusion that the bed platform slides on. However, I needed to have a lower attachment point as well. I attached a strip of wood with rivnuts to the lower frame of the camper. This gave me a flexible lower attachment to work with. Another catch: we wanted to keep our Bedrug liner and not bolt anything to the actual bed of the truck.

After doing a lot of research, I was inspired by Goose Gear setups and particularly @crolison OVRLND camper builds. I looked into using aluminum extrusion, but frankly it was too expensive to get buyoff from my CFO. I decided to go with a lumber-based version of an "8020-like" frame design. The backbone of this was primarily 2x4's that I ripped with a table saw to create 8 foot length square dowels. These were notched on the ends to form rabbet joints that were screwed and glued together. I then cut some plywood for the shelves. The shelving unit is on the passenger side. For the driver side, I built a three sided box that sits over the wheel well and provides a bench/step for the interior space.
IMG_5641.JPG

After some paint, lacquer, and final assembly. If I did this again, I would buy decent plywood and a polyurethane finish. I used rough plywood thinking the sanding and lacquer would smooth things out. It was still splintery after tons of sanding. It took really heavy coats of lacquer to finally get something that wouldn't snag.
IMG_5659.JPEG

The two middle shelves are accessible through the side door and the bench/box is accessible through the other side door. The shelving unit is attached at both the upper and lower extrusions with the legs resting on the floor. The bench is attached to the lower extrusion and rests on the floor. Removal takes about 5 minutes and consists of removing 6 bolts. Re-installation takes a couple minutes longer just to line up the holes for the bolts.

Materials for insulation: 2 sheets one inch rigid foam, 1 sheet corrugated plastic (coroplast), spray adhesive, VHB tape
Materials for shelf and box: 7 2x4's, 2 sheets plywood, paint, lacquer
Other: We had a fair amount of tools already, but this project was my excuse for buying a table saw.
An aluminum extrusion build would certainly be stronger, lighter, and more awesome, but the extrusion alone would have cost more (2x or even more) than the entire build so far- even with a new (entry-level) table saw. I chose to go a more budget route and work with a medium that I'm a little more comfortable with. We'll see how it does over time, but so far it's holding up.

We have used this setup a few times now and it seems to work reasonably well. So far, there are a few small changes I want to make, but we'll see what happens.

I need to take better photos of everything loaded. Here's one from a recent outing.
InkedIMG_5963_LI.jpg

More updates and photos to come as I get time!...

Last edited:

bgraboyes

Love it man! I pick mine up on Monday. Psyched to get going on the buildout. Still cant decide if I am going to do a deck and drawers with a few taller cabinets vs all cabinets with a central galley like yours. We had a deck/drawer on our old tacoma setup and usually cook out the back hence why we may do the same this time.

Pshin

Love it man! I pick mine up on Monday. Psyched to get going on the buildout. Still cant decide if I am going to do a deck and drawers with a few taller cabinets vs all cabinets with a central galley like yours. We had a deck/drawer on our old tacoma setup and usually cook out the back hence why we may do the same this time.
Awesome! That’s exciting. You going to the shop to pick it up?

That’s funny you mention the drawers. I have been thinking about that recently as a way to open up some extra floor space. The main downside I could see is that you would lose a lot of headroom (unless you had them add extra height). I’m about 5’11” and I have about 7-8 inches of headroom with it all popped up. I think a combo setup could be really cool. Some shallow-ish drawers with some shelves on the side or something. Idk. So many possibilities... haha

bgraboyes

You going to the shop to pick it up?
Yup, on Monday!

I am interested to measure the actual headroom in an F150. I think even with a drawer system sitting on the wheel wells i would still have about 4" of headroom (i'm 5'10" tall) so i'll see if that feels too claustrophobia inducing. I really liked having just a flat platform to pack on when we were doing a rafting trip or have to haul a bunch of equipment. And yeah, the ability to build it how you like it is awesome!

Pshin

Yup, on Monday!

I am interested to measure the actual headroom in an F150. I think even with a drawer system sitting on the wheel wells i would still have about 4" of headroom (i'm 5'10" tall) so i'll see if that feels too claustrophobia inducing. I really liked having just a flat platform to pack on when we were doing a rafting trip or have to haul a bunch of equipment. And yeah, the ability to build it how you like it is awesome!
I’m not quite sure how tall the F150 one is but if you still had 4 inches of room even with drawers, that would be really cool. I agree that flat surface above the wheel wells would be really nice. My main motivation is that we just got a second dog so things are going to be a little tight in our little 5’2” midsize truck bed haha.
Have fun with the camper pickup. Those guys are great. Safe travels to/from Flagstaff.

djbkm

Nice build, just got my camper from them about 6 weeks ago. Just installed solar power in ours. Not sure if we're going to build anything shelving wise yet, need to get out in it more and see. Be following along for sure.

Pshin

Nice build, just got my camper from them about 6 weeks ago. Just installed solar power in ours. Not sure if we're going to build anything shelving wise yet, need to get out in it more and see. Be following along for sure.
Nice! What did you do for solar? Got any photos?

Pshin

I have a build thread under the midsize section of the forum if you want to check out pics. Don't want to clutter up your thread :)
Just checked it out. Love the color scheme! And looks like a great start to the solar/electrical setup. Happy to see another OVRLND on a Colorado, even better that it’s a ZR2.

dstefan

Nicely done build out! ? on the table saw vs 80/20. As a long time woodworker I can tell you it’s the most versatile tool you can have.

I have an Ovrlnd on order with Jay for a Dec/Jan delivery and I’m dithering on whether to build it for my '09 DCSB Tacoma that I have perfectly built out for the places we go or move up to a Tundra with the 6.5 foot bed. Have a bad back, and really need some interior room to work it out regularly (Including out of bed once during the night).

A big consideration, if I keep the Tacoma, is the room to get out of the bed to stand up while the bed is extended. Would you be able to post a couple of pictures with your bed fully extended and you standing in the truck bed? It would really help me understand the room limitations I might have to deal with.

Pshin

Nicely done build out! ? on the table saw vs 80/20. As a long time woodworker I can tell you it’s the most versatile tool you can have.

I have an Ovrlnd on order with Jay for a Dec/Jan delivery and I’m dithering on whether to build it for my '09 DCSB Tacoma that I have perfectly built out for the places we go or move up to a Tundra with the 6.5 foot bed. Have a bad back, and really need some interior room to work it out regularly (Including out of bed once during the night).

A big consideration, if I keep the Tacoma, is the room to get out of the bed to stand up while the bed is extended. Would you be able to post a couple of pictures with your bed fully extended and you standing in the truck bed? It would really help me understand the room limitations I might have to deal with.

Thanks! I'm still an amateur when it comes to woodworking. It's been fun though!

Given your needs, I think a larger truck with a bigger bed would definitely be beneficial. With our 5'2" bed we have about 20 inches from the end of the bed platform to the rear wall. It's enough to stand, climb up and down from the bed, and change clothes. But if we want to hang out in there, we need to have the platform stowed for more room. I think one of the benefits with OVRLND's design is that longer bed trucks get more open space beyond the bed platform-- not always the case with other designs I noticed. Also, the width of the bed is a little bit larger too. I can say that 16" of more open space, and a few more in width, would feel nice and spacious compared to ours.

I think you should go big lol. Easier said than done. Especially since your Tacoma sounds like it's pretty well sorted already. Sorry I've been slacking on photos. I'm heading out camping this weekend so I'll try to take a few!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz