Another OVRLND Camper Build

socceronly

If you are going to have an external heater sitting outside like that, what is the advantage over a quiet small generator and an electric heater. You would at least get power out of the deal no?

Is the diesel heater more efficient / longer run time?

Pshin

if a time comes to cut in the heater hose, something like this may make the unused season appearance look okay: MARINE BOAT 4" round access Hatch cover lid, Screw out Deck - Black - $8.79 | PicClick

Thanks for sending that link. Something like that would work well to cover it up when it wasn't in use.

If you are going to have an external heater sitting outside like that, what is the advantage over a quiet small generator and an electric heater. You would at least get power out of the deal no?

Is the diesel heater more efficient / longer run time?

Good point! I have only used a couple gas generators before, but neither of them were quiet enough to be run all night. Especially if you had some friends/neighbors nearby.

To be honest, I don't know much about gas generators so maybe there are some really small and quiet ones. I'm also not too sure about their run time and fuel consumption. Sounds like a decent idea and power would definitely be a bonus!

socceronly

Good point! I have only used a couple gas generators before, but neither of them were quiet enough to be run all night. Especially if you had some friends/neighbors nearby.

To be honest, I don't know much about gas generators so maybe there are some really small and quiet ones. I'm also not too sure about their run time and fuel consumption. Sounds like a decent idea and power would definitely be a bonus!

Yeah, I definitely don't want to be a noisy neighbor.

The Honda / Yamaha / Generac 2200w genies are very quiet. That said, I think I would still build a box for it to live in that would keep the rain off and cut the sound even further (with a fan so it could breath).

Sounds like for those smaller ones vs the heater you would be adding fuel far more often. Not in one night, unless you were running it at full load, but almost certainly daily.

Pshin

Yeah, I definitely don't want to be a noisy neighbor.

The Honda / Yamaha / Generac 2200w genies are very quiet. That said, I think I would still build a box for it to live in that would keep the rain off and cut the sound even further (with a fan so it could breath).

Sounds like for those smaller ones vs the heater you would be adding fuel far more often. Not in one night, unless you were running it at full load, but almost certainly daily.
Yeah, the diesel consumption for the heater (on lowest setting) is really minimal. I'm guessing a gallon of diesel would last three nights or more. But then there is the 12v power consumption. My battery is only ~24 amp hours (293 wh). Two nights is easily doable to power just the heater. If I ran the truck a couple hours a day I could recharge a bit and stretch that awhile longer. If I lived somewhere with winter sun (not the PNW) then solar might also help.

If you had a 100 amp hour setup and carried extra diesel, you could run the heater for a looooong time.

socceronly

Yeah, the diesel consumption for the heater (on lowest setting) is really minimal. I'm guessing a gallon of diesel would last three nights or more. But then there is the 12v power consumption. My battery is only ~24 amp hours (293 wh). Two nights is easily doable to power just the heater. If I ran the truck a couple hours a day I could recharge a bit and stretch that awhile longer. If I lived somewhere with winter sun (not the PNW) then solar might also help.

If you had a 100 amp hour setup and carried extra diesel, you could run the heater for a looooong time.

Yeah, that is a night and day difference for running time.

I had no idea they were that cheap. I'm not sure what made me think those things were like 1200 bux, hence thinking about the generator.

I'll probably buy one.

:)

socceronly

Darn. Now I want to buy one these things. I would have a number of uses for it. Just a couple of questions.

Is it safe to keep it that close to the vehicle?

Is the lowest setting going to cook you to death in a smaller vehicle?

Does the single hose simply push warm fresh air in? There is no recirc happening here correct?

Thanks!

Pshin

Darn. Now I want to buy one these things. I would have a number of uses for it. Just a couple of questions.

Is it safe to keep it that close to the vehicle?

Is the lowest setting going to cook you to death in a smaller vehicle?

Does the single hose simply push warm fresh air in? There is no recirc happening here correct?

Thanks!
Haha go for it! I'll send you a PM with some details so we can get into the weeds about it.

pkelly72

Adventurer
I can’t figure out how you attached the cabinets? I watched your video and like the setup. Could you take some pictures of how it’s mounted? Thanks.

Pshin

I can’t figure out how you attached the cabinets? I watched your video and like the setup. Could you take some pictures of how it’s mounted? Thanks.
Here are some pictures of how the shelves are mounted.

Here is the passenger side shelf. In the OVRLND campers, there is an aluminum extrusion that runs horizontally near the top. This is where the bed platform rests when it is pulled out. I installed a couple t nuts into the extrusion and that's what connects the top of the shelf to the camper.
IMG_7293.JPEG IMG_7294.JPEG

Along the bottom edge of the camper (the top of the truck bed rails), I used rivnuts to bolt on a horizontal strip of wood that I could use as an anchor point for stuff. I installed some t nuts in the back of this strip of wood, then used those to bolt the lower part of the shelf to the wall. The passenger side shelf is attached to the wall along the top and along the second shelf. It also sits on top of the floor, but is not anchored to the floor.
IMG_7297.JPEG

I took a similar approach on the drivers side for the storage box/bench. I attached a strip of wood to the camper with rivnuts, installed a couple t nuts in the wood, then bolted the storage box to that. Though it has worked so far, this design is a little weak because it's only attached at the top edge. I have been meaning to add a turnbuckle near the bottom of the box (seen in lower right in the second pic below) and attach that to the truck bed tiedown- just haven't come across the correct size turnbuckle yet. I haven't had any problems with it so far, but if I anticipate some really bumpy roads I might just put a cam strap around that and it should shore things up.
IMG_7298.JPEG IMG_7299.JPEG

Attachments

• IMG_7293.JPEG
    IMG_7293.JPEG
    1 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7295.JPEG
    IMG_7295.JPEG
    786.7 KB · Views: 44

beneng_jr

Whats the coldest temps you've slept in? How well does that Bedrug insulate? Any problem with the diesel gelling leaving it outside?

Pshin

Whats the coldest temps you've slept in? How well does that Bedrug insulate? Any problem with the diesel gelling leaving it outside?
I haven’t used this setup on super cold temps. Coldest was about 30F. I had a thermometer inside and it said about 55F, so I think the heater buys me roughly 25F above the ambient temp.

I’m not too sure how well the Bedrug insulates because I have never used this setup without it. I imagine it’s better than nothing, but it seems like the type of foam Bedrug uses doesn’t feel nearly as insulating as your typical closed cell foam (rigid foam insulation from Home Depot etc). It’s also not that thick, especially on the sides.

I haven’t had problems with gelling diesel, but I haven’t been in super cold temps before.

beneng_jr

Nice, thanks, I just got my OVRLND today. Ordered a Dickinson p9000 for it.

What kind of mattress material are you using?

Pshin

Nice, thanks, I just got my OVRLND today. Ordered a Dickinson p9000 for it.

What kind of mattress material are you using?
Awesome! That should keep things really nice and toasty. Where did you order you p9000?

Mattress has been a funny story. Ordered from foambymail.com. The price and service were great. I first ordered the lux-hq foam but it was way too stiff. Then I ordered the basic poly foam and it’s better, but a tad too soft. The medium stiffness is probably the way to go. We ordered two queen sized bedsheets and sewed them to make some simple covers. Bedsheets were cheaper than bulk fabric weirdly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles