Another OVRLND Camper Build

Pshin

I have decided to sell my camper in order to transition to a towable rig with a little more space for the fam.

Check out the classified ad if you're interested. Feel free to send me a PM about it.

skyfree

What are you thinking for a towable? If you can swing it, having both is a good option. We have an Escape 17B we use for RV type things and the OVRLND for more serious off-road. It just stays on the truck full time like yours.

The space and comfort of the Escape is awesome, but it can't go everywhere.

Pshin

What are you thinking for a towable? If you can swing it, having both is a good option. We have an Escape 17B we use for RV type things and the OVRLND for more serious off-road. It just stays on the truck full time like yours.

The space and comfort of the Escape is awesome, but it can't go everywhere.
That sounds like a great combination! Not sure we can swing that though haha. We are thinking about doing a diy build on an enclosed cargo trailer. Hoping to pick one up that is a little more rugged than the standard contractors variety, but not a real "off-road" trailer by Expedition Portal standards lol. The camper has been great we just don't find ourselves going on high clearance roads that often anymore-- at most just some pnw logging roads with some washboard and potholes. There's also two of us and we have two dogs so inside space is a little tight, it's manageable, but a little tight. Small trailers like the Escape, Scamp, Casita, etc are really awesome. We're thinking about doing a little more simple build though-- no holding tanks, bathroom, tv, microwave, shore power, etc. Just a well insulated area with a bed, heater, couple windows, and a small space to hang out and cook if we had to.

It's all up in the air still. Just trying to sell our camper for now and round up the funds for the next rig!

chet6.7

Explorer
Hoping to pick one up that is a little more rugged than the standard contractors variety, but not a real "off-road" trailer by Expedition Portal standards lol. We're thinking about doing a little more simple build though-- no holding tanks, bathroom, tv, microwave, shore power, etc. Just a well insulated area with a bed, heater, couple windows, and a small space to hang out and cook if we had to.
I have similar thoughts, please post when you find a trailer brand that meets this criteria.

Spencer for Hire

That sounds like a great combination! Not sure we can swing that though haha. We are thinking about doing a diy build on an enclosed cargo trailer. Hoping to pick one up that is a little more rugged than the standard contractors variety, but not a real "off-road" trailer by Expedition Portal standards lol. The camper has been great we just don't find ourselves going on high clearance roads that often anymore-- at most just some pnw logging roads with some washboard and potholes. There's also two of us and we have two dogs so inside space is a little tight, it's manageable, but a little tight. Small trailers like the Escape, Scamp, Casita, etc are really awesome. We're thinking about doing a little more simple build though-- no holding tanks, bathroom, tv, microwave, shore power, etc. Just a well insulated area with a bed, heater, couple windows, and a small space to hang out and cook if we had to.

It's all up in the air still. Just trying to sell our camper for now and round up the funds for the next rig!
Curious why with all of your talents you don't build out a van?

Pshin

Curious why with all of your talents you don't build out a van?
Funny you say that. The rig I had before this truck was a diy van build. Not the fancy hightop Sprinters you see now, but a standard lowtop utility van (2002 Chevy Express 2500) with a nice modest build out. It was small, warm, and comfortable in that thing. Simpler times before we had any dogs. It had some downsides too though: 2wd, bad gas mileage, and really loud and uncomfortable off pavement. No matter how well we secured our stuff, when we got on dirt we were basically in an earthquake in the same room with all our gear.

We really like our truck, it's quiet and comfortable both on and off highway. We use it for many other things besides camping: house projects, daytrips to nearby trailheads, and highway trips to nearby cities for sightseeing and visiting family. Our other vehicle is a Nissan Leaf lol, so anything off highway or out of battery range we take the truck. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a big Sprinter van for camping, but for the money it's not the most practical vehicle for us. It really boils down to $$$ and I can't justify having a third vehicle just for camping... although I would love to :)

Pshin

I have similar thoughts, please post when you find a trailer brand that meets this criteria.
I have noticed some of the cargo trailer manufacturers have a "UTV Package" for customers who haul OHVs. Some of these come with beefier tires, a little more clearance, etc. I'm still researching though. It's tough with these things because information is so minimal and you have to deal with dealers :cautious:. Also sounds like covid has made the cargo trailer market pretty tough-- high demand, low supply, similar to RVs right now too.

Spencer for Hire

I have noticed some of the cargo trailer manufacturers have a "UTV Package" for customers who haul OHVs. Some of these come with beefier tires, a little more clearance, etc. I'm still researching though. It's tough with these things because information is so minimal and you have to deal with dealers :cautious:. Also sounds like covid has made the cargo trailer market pretty tough-- high demand, low supply, similar to RVs right now too.
What size are you thinking?

Spencer for Hire

Probably around 6x12
Thanks. I know this is more than you wanted to do but possibly some of the ideas from the box can be incorporated into your trailer build.

And here is the cargo trailer that just sold:

Last edited:

Pshin

Thanks. I know this is more than you wanted to do but possibly some of the ideas from the box can be incorporated into your trailer build.

And here is the cargo trailer that just sold:
Thanks for sharing. Those are some pretty cool builds for sure!

The camper has been sold. It lives it’s new life on a 3rd gen Toyota Tacoma shortbed.

socceronly

Can you put a storage box on top? I see rails as an option, but none of the pictures have anything on the roof or sides.

Pshin

Can you put a storage box on top? I see rails as an option, but none of the pictures have anything on the roof or sides.
It would make the rig pretty tall, but it’s possible. I wouldn’t keep anything really heavy in there. Mostly because you would need to lift the additional weight to lift when popping up/down. I think it’s possible to add additional lift struts to help, but it’s a balance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior