Another military trailer build

LikeABoss

Observer
Hello,

I tend to read far more than type on forums but thought I would post what I have done. I know military trailer platforms are popular due to low cost for what you get from surplus liquidation and Craigslist. I've read a number of threads and learned a lot but so far haven't seen quite what I wanted to do/am doing. The first image was the trip that brought about the inspiration. I pulled my ATV out to Wyoming on my M1101 in late summer of 2016. It is an awesome trailer and the only one in the group that didn't sustain any damage off road. However, I then slept in a canopy on the trailer. It was too low to stand up, cold and uncomfortable. I decided to build something to suit my needs. I wanted:

- Something *relatively* small compared to most toy haulers out there but high clearance and off road worthy. My TV is a GMC 2500 Dmax so I'm not crawling tight trails and can pull something heavy.
- Something that my ATV fits in that can be pulled out and lived in. I wanted to be able to stand up in it, play cards in the rain, etc.
- Super heavy duty
- Bare bones interior. Simple, easily fixed or modified as I want or need something changed. I told my wife, it's not a crappy camper, it's a fancy tent.
- Heat and AC
- Solar to power lights, small generator for other needs.

*Disclaimer. I am no expert in this and it is my first trailer build. I like designing and fabricating but am no finish worker. She may be rough around the edges but then I won't cry when I bounce it off a tree. I started the build last fall and took some pics along the way. I'm not done but getting close and will post pics as I have time.

IMG_3277_2_zpsx5gfdqk6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

LikeABoss

Observer
I was lucky enough to find a Schutt LTT flatdeck extended for a platform. It is 10' long (the deck) and just over 7' wide, all aluminum (except draw bar) huck bolted frame, 37" tires, independent torsion axle. Schutt trailers have an awesome reputation for a reason. The size was just what I needed for this project.

IMG_0810.jpg

Last edited:

LikeABoss

Observer
In keeping with the practice of avoiding aluminum welds on something used off road, I decided to weld a steel frame then bolt and rivet the aluminum skin to that. The frame is 1x3", 1/8 wall steel. Skin is way overkill with 3/16 aluminum sheet. Weight comes out ok for the TV and heavy duty it will be. I wanted to be comfortable so built it tall enough to stand in with a 6'1" ceiling height. It only looks slightly awkward that tall. I angled the rear up at 45 degrees, adding 2 more feet in length.

IMG_0828_zpswvakndv5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0829_zpsk0wxcsby.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

LikeABoss

Observer
Adding some skin. The rear will open like a clamshell, the bottom forming a ramp.

IMG_0837_zpsnuxoxsos.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0839_zps5p4a9dxr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• IMG_0837.jpg
    IMG_0837.jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0839.jpg
    IMG_0839.jpg
    567.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

LikeABoss

Observer
These are the only windows so far. Maybe I'll add more but I wanted to minimize the holes/chances to leak and I don't plan to spend much time inside. Only really to sleep or when really rainy.

IMG_0867_zps53e2khq4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

LikeABoss

Observer
Here it is with the shell up. I tried some 38 x 15.5 tires I had on for size. I thought they looked pretty good but they have since gone on the HMMWV and I put the others back on. I wanted heavy things up front and an external spot for the generator. I found some stairs for an MRAP on eBay which suits it well. Even with the weight up front, with my bulbous rear end I ended up needing to move the axle back about 6 inches.

IMG_0142_zpszlbjbxkl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0144_zpsqfebgzot.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0090_zpsy7c0wi3g.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

LikeABoss

Observer
Here is the start of the interior. Very basic but it needs to fit an ATV as well when traveling. The small kitchen and food storage is tucked in a front corner opposite the door. Two single beds fold up to the walls. Each fits a memory foam mattress. They extend out in the overhanging rear such that I have about 5 feet up front even when folded down. A high shelf in the rear will store blankets, sleeping bag and other light weight gear. A vintage sign inside the door seemed fitting.

IMG_0091_zpszfhzxvdi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0093_zpsqv49yhlj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0092_zpsf0fvf0rp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0121_zpsj5gk54w9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

LikeABoss

Observer
Based on shipping weights for the aluminum and steel, roughly 3000 lbs. I may be several hundred pounds off though. I should be right around the axle rating with the ATV and gear on board. I'm told to run at least 75% of the axle rating with these dexter torsion axles so I'm about perfect with a light load. Chassis is rated for 7k +. I may end up changing the surge brakes to electric but have not been the least uncomfortable braking on the few short test runs with the huge brakes and exhaust brake on the dmax.

I need to get it on a scale some time. I do have a tongue scale and with a second spare now up front tongue weight is 750 lbs. I'm ok being tongue heavy.

Last edited:

LikeABoss

Observer
The roof is plenty strong. I thought about a roof rack but it's already so tall and I don't really need the room right now. It was waterproof with the few seams well sealed but I put a liquid rubber roof on for good measure. I plan to add a rainwater collection system just for fun. Basically I'm thinking a low rubber edge of some sort with a single opening to the rear. As long as I jack the front slightly higher it will funnel everything out into a pipe. Will I ever use it? Probably not. I also installed a 100W solar panel.

LikeABoss

Observer
Light switch panel

IMG_0299_zpslkymgolu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Rigid LEDs for interior lights

IMG_0300_zpse3zz9ax1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Trap doors?

IMG_0302_zpssloep833.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Gotta have them. As I was laying the floor, it seemed like precious space above the axle tube. I still need to make some kind of rack or maybe water storage for lower center of gravity. I'm not sure.

IMG_0303_zpsqykwbytw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I started experimenting with a kryptek pattern on the inside of the ramp. I just like the look.

IMG_0304_zpsmhjnezuq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94