(Another) Forest Living Suburban Build Thread

tbisaacs

Adventurer
As an update on Burb One....

Everything is done except waiting on the transmission now for 2 months. I went with a very reputable builder but had some problems with reverse.... Not fun to have the truck sitting for this long after getting everything going... o well.

Went overboard on the power steering setup with a PSC pump and oversized reservoir with filter, etc. I also replaced all the lines on the engine (coolant, transmission and, power steering and oil) with AN fittings. I need to get pictures, but I mean every fitting, including all the pesky coolant ones. It was a process finding the right adapters, etc., but it turned out really clean.

Rear and front driveshafts are in. With the 4l80e and the 2500 front dif.... stock front driveshaft fit. I got a custom made thick wall rear driveshaft with 1350's at each end. It's like x2 the weight of the stock one, but it was worth it because I've dinged it a few times and nice just to have the one sized u joints. Probably a measurable mpg ding though

Still waiting on front RCV axles, don't don't expect those until next year LOL

Before the reverse problem was apparent, I drove the truck around town and on the freeway and wow the 6.0 with the engine work makes a huge difference... truck pulls like a freight train from 40 to speed limit+ where it used to be somewhat of a dog... the new engine is much more rev happy than I would have thought 4k to redline really screams. I dare say the truck feels fast now?

View attachment 740112View attachment 740113View attachment 740114
View attachment 740115

You may have posted but are you using that AC compressor as an air compressor? So cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burb One

Adventurer
You may have posted but are you using that AC compressor as an air compressor? So cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I put a write up somewhere in this thread but yep it's a York 210. Honestly one of the most helpful mods. Tire fillups are now a 10 minute thing from 15 to 60 psi on 35s. I have it set up so when it's on, idle goes up to 1200 rpm. It puts out more air than my 80gallon dual piston garage compressor. Literally limited by the Schrader valve on the tire. Highly recommended and you can do it for cheaper than one of those dual ARBs.

The York is a knock off on ebay. I fabbed my own bracket , but there's a few companies out there that make them (goat built makes I'm). It's great for when traveling with other less prepared rigs as well. No worries of overheating or duty cycling an electric compressor when filling up 3 vehicles worth it tires... Or waiting for others.

Bret+famx7

Man that 6.0 looks right at home in there! Glad to hear that bump in power still feels good even with 35s and all that added weight! I'm currently researching UCAs and am getting tires hopefully next week if they have them in stock. I tried messing around in the gravel parking lot at my daughters soccer practice and it wouldn't break the rear loose at all. Disappointing to say the least. Maybe the torque management really does hold it back. Bald Firestones still have too much grip I guess lol. Hoping to do tires now and hope the alignment can get at least close and then as funds allow start piecing together all the front end. Poly LCA bushings, kryptonite lower ball joints, Atomic coilovers and whatever UCA I end up liking. From what I've been reading I should probably stick with ball joints instead of the uniballs due to salt and crud up here in Ohio. Freedom Offroad I know fit with the coilovers (saw them on the photos on Atomics site) but not sure about the Kryptonites being a boxed design. Looks like it'd be close. Hope that gets done this fall but it may end up a spring project, trying to buy another 'running project' car because life isn't complete without having two questionable vehicles in the fleet to rely on. Plus it's a 'gas saver' for now so it totally makes sense!

Bret+famx7

Hey man ... it's next year! Those RCVs ever come in? I'm in a pinch with mine. Was really determined to do a SAS but time and money are turning that down for the moment. Can't have it down as we might be moving here soon and it's falling apart around me so I need to address the steering pretty much today it seems. Don't like spending money twice (non of this steering would carry over to the SAS) but I also don't want to use cheap junk either so I'm torn between just doing a front end refresh and the coilovers from Atomic and just have this as PartyBus1.0 and see where it leads me down the road. These tires also are killing my trans (well, so am I lol) so that's going to be a priority soon as well. Its throwing a lot all at once at me lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz