(Another) Forest Living Suburban Build Thread

Burb One

Adventurer
Used to have a recap here, but impossible to keep updated..

Scroll to the end and read in reverse to see a long travel 1500 gmt800 burb with 2500 running gear and 13+ inches of travel....

I'm not great at photos/documentation if I don't have to be, so just ask for pictures or details.

Some other things in this thread:
Fitting 18 gallon gas tank in spare tire area
Finding a 14 bolt for gmt800 suv

Attachments

• IMG_20170319_1.jpg
    IMG_20170319_1.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 418
  • dFCXfEd (1).jpg
    dFCXfEd (1).jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 394
  • HwCgkNA.jpg
    HwCgkNA.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 374
  • tX2ioSK.jpg
    tX2ioSK.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 418
  • ePLKfq9.jpg
    ePLKfq9.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:

Burb One

Adventurer
Back when it was stock and the paint was still shiny:
250843_10151223259094968_352873138_n.jpg

Slow progress:

Two inch lift, lights and added winch
10170794_10153706255054968_4151807395813911709_n.jpg

33's Hitch umbrella and water crossing:
10923307_10153706333169968_7880048681306792654_n.jpg

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I cant really say welcome to the site Geron as you have stated that you have been watching/stealing for years. But I would like to thank you for posting pics of your truck and starting a build thread. You look like you have lots of fun offraod with your truck. Thats a fine:drool: looking `Burb´and I am sure you will get lots of help here on the site from the cool people here. I am looking forward to seeing what you do with your wicked rig. Cheers, Chilli..:)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Would love to see more pics as I just started on my '04 Burb.
You don't really need 6" of lift to run 33's do you? I'm thinking I'll do a 2" lift (keys, spacers and shocks.) I presume a 6" lift needs to lower the diff and also the back end of the T-bars? Any issues with CV joints?
What is an "upgraded" 4L60? I'm interested in knowing because from what I've read the 4L60 is the only "weak link" on the GMT-800 trucks (and that's only "weak" relative to the rest of the drivetrain.) I use mine to pull a trailer so obviously the transmission is a very critical element for me. I've heard of people swapping a 4L65 or 4L80 (I think?) from a 3/4 ton but that seems to be a little bit of overkill. Still, if I there's something that will strengthen the 4L60 I'd love to hear about it.
With all your mods I'd love to see more pictures, I'm sure others will too.
Some time later I'll pick your brain about solar. Would love to get a solar setup going for our teardrop trailer.

Burb One

Adventurer
Hey guys, got busy with work the last few weeks and didn't have time to check up here.

We went out two weekends ago, and I meant to take nice pretty pictures of the truck, out in nature, in interest of posting them here
Turned out the Saturday rain/ snow storm, came in early and it was, slow going in on Friday night. With the crappy weather and the state of the truck, didn't end up taking many pictures other than getting stuck. So here those are after the fish story....;)

Long story short, was supposed to get out of town at 5, didn't end up leaving until 7. Got off road at 10, and the rain and snow started pouring slowing us down.
Took a few winches/ traction mats to get through some of the mud over the 15 off road miles (really sludge as it had been raining in Norcal for almost two weeks). In the last downhill (100 yards from the camping site), being careless, as we were basically there, I let the truck slide into a ditch (In the pictures, the right side where I was trying to keep the truck on is sloped into the mini “ravine.” It was so slick the truck moved ten feet to the right over ten feet of forward travel. Being pretty much there, and thinking about my new 3+ more inches of ground clearance, I thought I could breakover the crest into the washout, We did, but my rear diff ended up digging in and got us stuck. Literally 6 inches of forward travel until being out of it.

We unpacked from there walked to the campsite and slept. Woke up to 4 inches of snow on the ground, let it melt and got it out and unstuck. Found out that O'Reilly had sold me the wrong CV axles and the left was about to pop out of the cup. Irony is I had just replaced both sides a few weeks before as a maintenance item because the boots after 200k mile and 12 years were a little shoddy looking. Moral of the story is to check more than just the label on the box for left and right (I am assuming it was a return or mis-boxed)

As we dug out the diff we found three broken tow straps, and a few parts from other vehicles in the liquid mud. Don't think we were the first to get stuck there that week. After digging the diff out, the rear right tire was submerged (literally) in sludge, and the right wheel was basically off the ground (Plus we only had 2wd now with the CV) and the truck was not teetering, but wasn't in comfortable position angle wise. There was no easy way to dig out that tire, so we ended up digging a 6 foot hole in the ground and throwing a large boulder with a tow strap around to it to winch to. Before the rock got pulled up by the winch the truck was on the cusp of being let loose. Of course, after we redug the hole to go again, someone came across the trail, and it took about 3 second of a bumper pull to get us out. (We weren't sure if anybody would come by that day or the next because of the weather, so it was just another hit that we could have been having fun until someone drove by) Refilling the unused hole, was depressing. We came out undamaged other than the CV, a bent rear sway bar link(Rough Country's warranty is awesome and they sent me a new one, no questions asked) and a bunch of new scratches on the right rear fender.

In retrospect, there's two ways to get down the hill starting about 150 meters up. In the summer the way we went down is nice, smooth and easy, the other way has some larger rocks to traverse. From now on, it's noted for the winter to use the rocky side as it keeps the ground together. Stupid carelessness and the “almost there” blindness at night by me was the cause.

Anyway, instead of throwing in the spare CV we cut the axle down to a stub and drove the rest of the weekend in 2wd. The locker did wonders (Also nice to rely on the 14bolt G80 and not the crappy 10). Once the mud dried out a little in the beautiful Saturday weather, we didn't run into any problems even in in 2wd.

Don't know if we had “fun” that weekend, but I can say all the recovery equipment got its use… and my new $18 Big5 special rain/mud boots are my new favorite toy.

Here's the stuck pictures…

20160130_113636.jpeg
20160130_113748.jpeg
20160130_113831.jpeg
20160130_113846.jpg
20160130_113900.jpeg

Last edited:

Burb One

Adventurer
Would love to see more pics as I just started on my '04 Burb.
You don't really need 6" of lift to run 33's do you? I'm thinking I'll do a 2" lift (keys, spacers and shocks.) I presume a 6" lift needs to lower the diff and also the back end of the T-bars? Any issues with CV joints?
What is an "upgraded" 4L60? I'm interested in knowing because from what I've read the 4L60 is the only "weak link" on the GMT-800 trucks (and that's only "weak" relative to the rest of the drivetrain.) I use mine to pull a trailer so obviously the transmission is a very critical element for me. I've heard of people swapping a 4L65 or 4L80 (I think?) from a 3/4 ton but that seems to be a little bit of overkill. Still, if I there's something that will strengthen the 4L60 I'd love to hear about it.
With all your mods I'd love to see more pictures, I'm sure others will too.
Some time later I'll pick your brain about solar. Would love to get a solar setup going for our teardrop trailer.

Martin-

You don't need a 6 inch to run the 33's. A leveling kit will fit the 33", however it adds some crank on the bars. Even with the crank, as long as you're not dumb with the throttle, I don't see much unreliability. Other than this last weekend, with the improper CV axle, my original CV's lasted 220k miles with a lot of abuse and a leveling kit for most of it. I do not recommend cranking "all the way" but a little-mid doesn't hurt. My only IFS problem was my front wheel bearing completely failed a few thousand miles ago, but again, that was more my fault, as they had 200k+ miles on them and I didn't replace them when I installed the 6" lift because I didn't want to go to the store. With the 6" you can fit 35's easily, but I think that may be pushing the front CV's past their limit. My thought, is with the 33's technically, the 6" will act the same as the leveling kit, just with some more needed ground clearance (yes it does drop the diff). The rough country kit, actually doesn't drop the t-bars, which is nice. I did add their optional "kicker braces" for more stability and strength, but these even don't hang down as far as other kits torsion bar drops. Plus I figure they are a good slider/ protection at the bottom. (You can see both the t-bars and the kicker braces in the pictures, the kicker braces are the lower ones) Saying this, I would save up the money and go with the 6 inch and skip the leveling kit step. Once you get the leveling kit and 33's, you will want more, and it would save money to go to the direct route.

Also, with the weak points, the 4l60e is a "longterm" weakpoint. You will know a few k miles before it strands you (or at least when i had my early problems, that's what happened, and what I have heard to happen to others.) I would address the 10 bolt before the 4l60e, and only replace/ upgrade the 4l60e when it actually goes out. The 10 bolt, I would do asap. You are right, I have not had any problems or seen any week points except for the transmission and the rear end. That and the fuel pumps tend to go out sooner than later. This truck has been bulletproof.

My 4l60e has corvette servos, and an uprated bell(or sun?) gear according to my transmission guy. All he does is build 4l60e's and 4l80e's for corporate accounts, and he only rebuilds them with those pieces and not OEM. If I had to do it over again (and wasn't in college at the time $) I would have spent the $2-3k(minus what you get for the 4l60e) and gone straight to a 4l80e. I will do that when the 4l60e goes out. I would 100% recommend to go this way, especially if trailering (as I do). In my transmission guy's opinion the 4l60e, is just a time bomb in any spec in the GMT800's.

Actually one of the pictures shows the top solar setup pretty well. If you have any questions, let me know! (Also Edit- You're doing a trailer!? The suburban isn't enough space? LOL)

Thanks for all the kind words! I love looking at all your trucks too! :smiley_drive:

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Are the O'Reilly CV axles reman OEM? OEM's lasted 220k miles. That says something. I'd be hesitant to change to an off-brand.

Burb One

Adventurer
Yes they were the Master_____(Oreilly) reman. And true about the OEM, however I cannot find new OEM anywhere.... plus the others all have lifetime warranty

After this weekend, I now put on the "Precision" new manufacture CVs' from them, and they feel as good as the OEM. I figured they are 80 bucks, and have a lifetime warranty. I don't think these are weaker than OEM, maybe the boots won't last as long, but with the lifetime.... I'll replace them every 50k, plus I can replace them for free anywhere there's autopart stores.

The incorrect reman, I now have in the correct sizes, and am keeping one set as carry spares (These are $35 with lifetime as well) You are correct, these remans don't "feel"
as good as OEM or the Precisions.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Looks like some mud tires should be added to your "to do" list! There's some awesome spots in NorCal. You close to the coast, or inland a bunch?

Burb One

Adventurer
HA, would have killed for some that weekend.

For an AT tire, these Falken Wildpeaks have been pretty impressive. How much of a mpg hit does an MT give you? Also, I tow a lot, so I am not sure if a MT tire would be the best, if I only need it for one or two trips a year...

We are based in the bay area, but go all over the coast (Mendocino), and up into the hills. Our favorites seem to be on east side of the sierra in NV/CA border, of which this last trip was.

Last edited:

Burb One

Adventurer
Always good to see another Chevy NBS on the site. Look forward to seeing more pics.

Your Tahoe was my inspiration to start making the suburban into what it is today. (I was going to buy a jeep or something).

Quick question. What wheels are on your truck? I really like the downplayed look, and am looking to get away from having wheel adapter/spacers.

Jelorian

Adventurer
Glad to see another GMT800 Suburban on here. I'm in the SF Bay Area as well and slowly building up my 03 Z71. Might pick your brain on advice on future mods for mine.

Sounds like you had a crazy weekend get away. I would have given up after the 2 times having to winch. Hahah!

Cool pics!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior