Another F550 build

Slothman

Finally got siding, cut, and mounted this weekend. Ended up going with 3030 series 0.090" alum sheet. Stuck on with 3M RP45 VHB. I am planning to also rivet the edges, and then cap with a 2" angle aluminum.

Not the easiest job so far but about 30 hours of work from receiving sheet metal to fully mounted and installed.

I wish I could keep the bare aluminum look, but it picks up scratches and dirt easy so I will probably go with a gloss white to match the rest of the truck.

Next up is electrical, plumbing, and insulation.

1612841591048.png

1612841793741.png

1612841835559.png

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Question, a number of these builds are using 3m VHB, is that the only method of adhesion? Or is it riveted/screwed with VHB in between?

Slothman

Currently it's just vhb, but I'm probably going to rivet all the corner edges and then use sika flex and 2" aluminum angle to trim it and seal it. The vhb has a shear/tensile strength of like 80psi, which with 1" strip x the permiter of each panel is close to 20k lbs.

Jonnyo

Observer
why did you decide to go with 0.09 aluminum sheet? that seems very thick and heavy for the purpose? I usually build those structure with .040 and it s very strong. if you glue the foam board to the sheet... it will be very rigid.

Slothman

why did you decide to go with 0.09 aluminum sheet? that seems very thick and heavy for the purpose? I usually build those structure with .040 and it s very strong. if you glue the foam board to the sheet... it will be very rigid.

Its my first build and i am not an engineer, but my thought is that it provides quite a bit of structural support and effectively acts as gussets.

Jonnyo

Observer
Its my first build and i am not an engineer, but my thought is that it provides quite a bit of structural support and effectively acts as gussets.

it s definitly overbuild. but other then been heavy... it will be very strong so a great thing for you! But i m pretty sure you could have gotten away with much much thinner tubing and alumium sheet. VHB tape is great to work with for this application. I never had a failure with those and always amazing at how strong this tape his. To remove a sheet, i would have to destroy it in the process. I never used other fastner other then trims. MY suggestion is take your time and really get all the insulation between the ribs as tight as you can and glue it to the skin. that will make the full structure very strong.

great work!

Slothman

Thanks for the tips!

I'm going to use a mix of wool and rmax panels for my insulation.

I figured I can probably afford the extra few hundred pounds since its on a 550. I still think its probably way lighter than wood framed monsters.

Its all 1/8 wall 2x2 tube.

Jonnyo

Observer
Thanks for the tips!

I'm going to use a mix of wool and rmax panels for my insulation.

I figured I can probably afford the extra few hundred pounds since its on a 550. I still think its probably way lighter than wood framed monsters.

Its all 1/8 wall 2x2 tube.

for reference, on the heaviest build of the Big foot fiberglass camper, they use 1.5X1.5 .064 alumium tubing to build a internal frame and support the front cab. i use some of there leftover aluminum to build a lot of project and it s amazing what you can do with that. So your 2x2 1/8 will be plenty strong and you have the payload so your golden!

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Currently it's just vhb, but I'm probably going to rivet all the corner edges and then use sika flex and 2" aluminum angle to trim it and seal it. The vhb has a shear/tensile strength of like 80psi, which with 1" strip x the permiter of each panel is close to 20k lbs.

Amazing stuff. Sounds like it's way overkill, it's just crazy to think we literally tape these things together! Not in a negative way! Awesome build!!!!

highwest

Do you know the specific VHB you chose? Also, where you sourced it? Some of the exotic/structural stuff is hard to find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94