Another Doka Build... oh my!

RoamIt

I run this nowadays. (You can see beside it the 240 with the 383 stoker)

Attachments

• P935.jpg
    P935.jpg
    955.2 KB · Views: 14

RoamIt

Anyway, back to our regular programing.

Lain, I've never seen that before. My plan was to cut a full sized, or as big as I could get it, on one side of the back of the cab and weld around it a new frame to add back in structural strength. The door itself would be robust and while closed would aid in structural support, while driving/tilting.

Looking like this when finished:

Attachments

• CabFullDoor.png
    CabFullDoor.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 32

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Anyway, back to our regular programing.

Lain, I've never seen that before. My plan was to cut a full sized, or as big as I could get it, on one side of the back of the cab and weld around it a new frame to add back in structural strength. The door itself would be robust and while closed would aid in structural support, while driving/tilting.

Looking like this when finished:
With a cab like that, if we ever do meet up on the road I will have to roll up alongside, roll down my window and ask

:) "Pardon me. Would you have any Grey Poupon?"

Seriously though, that cab looks like it would be very comfortable to travel in.

palebluewanders

That button is to help you slow down when engine braking - check you exhaust and if you have something that looks like a linkage attached to the exhaust, then you have an exhaust brake, which make engine braking much more efficient. On a steep hill, you won't even need your normal brakes if you have it in the right gear. I can't even measure the wear on my brake pads after 60,000kms, I hardly ever use the normal brake, only just for holding it still at a traffic light.

This is what mine looks like ( yours may not be so shiny :) ) It is attached to the exhaust outlet of the turbo, and you can see the linkage going back to a pneumatic ram.

View attachment 717656

Ah, you must be right, I don't have the truck with me at the moment but I'll check next time I go see it. TBH no one ever explained that button to us except to say "step on it to turn off the engine" so we've never tried to use it while driving. ?

quickdraw81

Here is a pic of one of mine. Totally adjustable coil over, 5 way shocks, etc, etc. Ran 255's front 295's rear, lots of AutoX! The 5.0 dyno'd at 393HP. I use to embarrass some very expensive cars with it...

Man that's awesome.... love the four spokes and the body molded fenders. I had the rb at just under 400 as well at sea level and then moved to Denver. Need to get a new tune on her. She's definitely be a surprise for a few ;)

quickdraw81

The link to the body builder handbook is correct, but might be difficult to get registered. I have a copy if you need one. This shows what can be cut out. The green bit needs to be moved replaced with two similar pillars either side of the cyan cut out.

View attachment 717768
I decided to extend the roof of my cab, but kept the original structure. The opening is the biggest MB allowed.

View attachment 717769
The problem with the big opening is sealing it from the noise - the transmission is directly underneath. This was my solution, which works well.
View attachment 717770

There is a inner seal as well, which is quite big to allow for the approximate 400mm of flex you can get between the cab and camper. The little accordion rubbers just don't do it.

The OM366LA is the most powerful stock engine, but the block is the same as the OM352, just has a different head and stroker crank to take it out to 6 litres. All the extra power comes from the injection pump, injectors and the intercooler. You can get 300hp from a normal OM366 with a few modifications.

The UG100/8 comes from the newer model U4000/U5000s, I have one in mine, it just needs a manual conversion kit.

This is great... and makes sense on the sizjung with the structural components there. I assume that if one were so inclined they could in fact open it up further but the level of fabrication would likely be unreasonable?

And would love a copy of that handbook. Seems like it's a crucial piece.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
This is great... and makes sense on the sizjung with the structural components there. I assume that if one were so inclined they could in fact open it up further but the level of fabrication would likely be unreasonable?

And would love a copy of that handbook. Seems like it's a crucial piece.

Anything is possible, but it would require some engineering to retain the structure of the cab. I've seen cut outs that go all the way to the floor, and I can't see how they can retain the rigidity of the cab, the cab tilt ram is only on one side, so there is a lot of twisting going on, would not be funny to raise the cab and the whole thing twist so the doors don't close or the windscreen falls out. I'll send you a PM with a link to the handbooks.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior