Another DIY truck camper

Ducstrom

Some more got done. Working on the wiring and installing the cupboard doors now. Got the top on and the last of the fiberglassing done. Waiting on some raptor liner to arrive to complete the bottom.
It's still far from complete but I am hoping to be able to use it a little come August. Fingers crossed....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200623-223203.png
    Screenshot_20200623-223203.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 201
  • Screenshot_20200623-223155.png
    Screenshot_20200623-223155.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 202
  • Screenshot_20200623-223150.png
    Screenshot_20200623-223150.png
    2 MB · Views: 188
  • Screenshot_20200623-223145.png
    Screenshot_20200623-223145.png
    2 MB · Views: 184
  • Screenshot_20200623-223139.png
    Screenshot_20200623-223139.png
    2 MB · Views: 175

Ducstrom

Well, I put it in the back of the truck again last night and found a problem. I had originally intended to mount it to the factory bed mount locations in the box. That's the reason for the access ports out the sides at the front. Trouble is that I made it fit so tight in the box that getting a turnbuckle in there is going to be a royal pain in the ass, if not impossible.
Thinking of just going external frame mounts up to the jack leg mounts. It'll leave me with a non ideal angle on the tiedowns though. Hoping that'll be ok.
Thought about bed mount bolts through the camper floor but I think that'll be more trouble loading and unloading

Ducstrom

Also measured squat on the truck with it loaded and got about an inch and a half. Not sure what that means yet. Going to have to hit the scales once I figure out the tiedown issue

DCH109

Adventurer
Ok to be fair, i have not read through the 4 pages (read about 1/2 way through page 1) yet. I am at work and should be working but it is lunch.

THIS is exactly what I have been looking for and will be doing with my kids. I have looked at online DYI plans and at commercial campers for the past month or so and none are what I like.
My plan is to build something similar (POP top as well) that will slide into my M101. I will be building this in my garage as well 1/2 is consumed by the trailer itself.
Thanks and I will keep watching and read this when I get home.

Keep posting!

Andrew_S

Observer
Awesome looking build. Your attention to detail is unreal.
Very curious to know what the final weight is. Any ballpark on total hours invested and cost of materials?

Ducstrom

Thanks!
I notice all the little things I could have done different or better, but I am sure after I get some scratches and rock dings I'll care less.

I am curious to know the final weight now too. Should be able to get it to the scales in the next couple months. It won't be completely finished at that point but close enough that finishing it out will likely be less than an extra 100lbs.

I started building it July of 2018, working on weekends and evenings, but sometimes I'd not touch it for a couple months. Total time would be a tough one, but it is a lot of hours for sure.

As far as cost goes, I have a pile of receipts to go through. My guestimate at this point would be about $10k in materials. The only things I bought used were the webasto and RV door.

Basically, its cost double what I thought it would, taken twice as long as I thought it would to build and probably weighs twice what I'd first estimated. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94