Another Chassis Conundrum????

This is the closest I found. Probably doesn’t list the 550 because it doesn’t replace anything and would need lines installed. I’d probably just install something like this with a pump, and when the 40 gallon tank gets low, just turn the pump on for a few minutes.

I may be wrong, but it appears that this tank is specific to the diesel power stroke. Won't work with gasoline is my understanding.

CappyJax

I may be wrong, but it appears that this tank is specific to the diesel power stroke. Won't work with gasoline is my understanding.

Oh, bummer. I didn't catch that. This really sucks. I suspect i'll only get 10 miles to gallon, and that means filling up every 350 miles. Plus, I will always be concerned about using the gasoline hydronic heater. Ugh! Just can't win. Why did my E450 come with a 55 gallon tank, but this thing has a 40 gallon tank?

Well, now I am reconsidering Ford altogether. I can get a Ram 5500 with 74 gallons of fuel. But do I want the gas Hemi? Maybe if they start using the Allison 9 speed. What about the Chevy 5500? The entire front flips forward to expose the entire engine, so working on it would be a breeze. Maybe I should just get a 2001 or earlier 7.3 diesel until hybrid or electric is available.

Or get the Cummins and find a way to bypass the DPF when in places without ULSD? What do you guys think?

Blowby

Sweet little campers for sure.

We just committed to a TC box, with Hunter RMV doing the build. The rig will get heavy, real fast. Going with a 15’ floor length, as opposed to 8’ like the base camp. We’ve got four travelers and our kids are not getting any smaller.
So senorparker I see that you were heading in the Ford 550 direction,is this the outcome that you finally decided on and the TC box?
Thanks Roger

So senorparker I see that you were heading in the Ford 550 direction,is this the outcome that you finally decided on and the TC box?
Thanks Roger

Roger, yes am going with F550 + TC box. While the 7.3L isn’t in service in SA and Northern Europe (intended future travel plans) I figure I ‘should’ be able to get service from the Ford dealers in the large cities. While this may prove to be problematic, I’ll budget for an expensive tow and time for potentially waiting for parts. Most of our use will be from Alaska to Baja so I figure the F550 best suits our needs. I have no interest in wrenching on an older more traditional expedition platform. Plus, going 50-55 down the interstate is not appealing to me.

CappyJax

What about the 48 gallon midship tank for the gas long bed 250/350/450 models? I wonder if that would fit? That would give us 88 gallons which would be perfect!

Lablvr

Sweet little campers for sure.

We just committed to a TC box, with Hunter RMV doing the build. The rig will get heavy, real fast. Going with a 15’ floor length, as opposed to 8’ like the base camp. We’ve got four travelers and our kids are not getting any smaller.
Very interested in hearing how this goes for you. Have not seen a lot of discussion about Hunter RMV on this forum and just discovered them myself. Anyone have experience with them and thoughts on comparisons with others doing LMTV conversions? Any thoughts on their new Isuzu dual cab?

And I just noticed you are going the F550 route. Will Hunter be putting that together for you as well?

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Hunter RMV. Is that the company that took a garden variety camping trailer and plunked it on S&S chassis a while back? I thought they were summarily panned for that move? Or is it a diff company?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Hunter RMV. Is that the company that took a garden variety camping trailer and plunked it on S&S chassis a while back? I thought they were summarily panned for that move? Or is it a diff company?

Correct, they are working with us. Have done several and we can't say anything bad about them. Certainly an up and coming builder!

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Certainly an upgrade in the box department. Seemed like the truck was well fitted just the living quarters were janky. Will be curious to see results.

Very interested in hearing how this goes for you. Have not seen a lot of discussion about Hunter RMV on this forum and just discovered them myself. Anyone have experience with them and thoughts on comparisons with others doing LMTV conversions? Any thoughts on their new Isuzu dual cab?

And I just noticed you are going the F550 route. Will Hunter be putting that together for you as well?

So far, so good. Communication has been 100% perfect, although we're only in the design phase.

No, I'm going to put the truck together. Leaning towards DBL for super single, suspension upgrade, re-gear (probably), winch, bumper.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Leaning towards DBL for super single, suspension upgrade, re-gear (probably), winch, bumper.

Do a bit more research on the "regear" before dropping all that $

Provided your truck has 4.88 to start with

Few reasons:
-4.88s put the diesels at around 1750-1800 rpm at 65mph which is their sweetspot for MPG, i am averaging 12.5mpgs
-DBL makes good stuff, but their 6.whateveritis ring and pinions are custom and only have a handful of rigs running/testing them, they simply havent been tested enough. An aftermarket ring and pinion failure can have catastrophic consequences.
-Earthroamer still use the 4.88s and have almost zero issues with the diffs and all the weight.
-Newer rigs are all computer controlled, but after putting on my MPTs, once i corrected the speedo electronically, all the shift points and tranny stuff returned back to 100% stock and its amazing! (this is on a RAM, i am GUESSING Fords are similar)

My .02

Do a bit more research on the "regear" before dropping all that $

Provided your truck has 4.88 to start with

Few reasons:
-4.88s put the diesels at around 1750-1800 rpm at 65mph which is their sweetspot for MPG, i am averaging 12.5mpgs
-DBL makes good stuff, but their 6.whateveritis ring and pinions are custom and only have a handful of rigs running/testing them, they simply havent been tested enough. An aftermarket ring and pinion failure can have catastrophic consequences.
-Earthroamer still use the 4.88s and have almost zero issues with the diffs and all the weight.
-Newer rigs are all computer controlled, but after putting on my MPTs, once i corrected the speedo electronically, all the shift points and tranny stuff returned back to 100% stock and its amazing! (this is on a RAM, i am GUESSING Fords are similar)

My .02

Thanks for your input, definitely wavering on the re-gear. Just an FYI, I'm going with the 7.3L gasser. Does this change your opinion?

And yes, going with the 4.88 limited slip.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Thanks for your input, definitely wavering on the re-gear. Just an FYI, I'm going with the 7.3L gasser. Does this change your opinion?

And yes, going with the 4.88 limited slip.

Yes, a gasser completely changes my opinion.

Mainly because i have no idea what their RPM sweet spot is for MPG honestly.

People regear for different reasons, MPG, towing power, etc...

I dont tow, never plan on it, so i wanted my gearing to put the motor in the sweet spot for MPGs exclusively, as my trips usually burn a lot of miles.

Everyone is different and has different needs, but try to figure out what the 7.3L sweet spot is on the freeway stock, and then re-gear accordingly for your needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles