Another Chassis Conundrum????

Looking at doing an integrated camper build (possibly with a total composites shell). Box will be in the 14'-16' length, with a cab-over sleeping area. The rig will be for my wife and I as well as our elementary school aged daughters. We've had truck campers over the years, and now are on our 2nd travel trailer and would like to downsize. We plan on using the rig for travel in the Western USA where we call home, as well as Baja and Vancouver Island. We have been fortunate enough to spend around 4+ months a year traveling for quite some time, and more so in the future. Going forward, we'd like to ship the rig to South America, primarily travel in Chile and Argentina. (we spent 9 months driving SA in 2002 in a land cruiser, and want to return family style).

Chassis Options, all would be gasoline for numerous reasons, crew cab seating for four, and 2020/2021 model years.
-Ford F550
-Chevy 5500
-Ram 5500
-Mitsubishi Fuso
-Isuzu NPR

How available are parts in Chile/Argentina (or elsewhere in SA) for the Big 3? I don't want to be broken down, waiting for parts to ship from USA to SA, which could take longer than we're willing to wait.

On the NPR and Fuso, it appears that parts would be much easier to come by, as these trucks are common in most parts of the world. BUT....I'd need (want I suppose) to have a 4x4 conversion done, which will put the chassis cost at least $30k higher compared to a factory available 4x4 from the Big 3. However, a plus with the Fuso/NPR is your overall length is reduced by around 5'. Don't really know how relevant the 5 less feet would be, but it seems nice to be shorter overall.

Thoughts? Any other chassis ideas I should consider?

Edit: Also on our radar is a Northern Europe trip, primarily Norway/Sweden. I presume we could have parts shipped there quickly from the USA if not available closer???

Thanks in advance for your help, and for all I've learned by spending countless hours browsing this forum as a lurker!

Sounds like a hard look at the EC Core chassis are in order. Probably more than $30K over your Big 3, but would meet your length, (potentially) shipping, and international parts sourcing criteria.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Do you have to get a new one? What about an ex-fire truck like a MB 1124?

For the domestic pickups, Ford has the best gas motor option with their 7.3...

Do you have to get a new one? What about an ex-fire truck like a MB 1124?

For the domestic pickups, Ford has the best gas motor option with their 7.3...

Leaning towards new because the vehicle ‘should’ be more reliable. Man the MB1124 looks like a great platform. Scared of all the maintenance that would come with a behemoth like that. Isn’t the GVWR like 26k? I’d like to stay a lot lighter.

ScottPC

Perhaps check the octane rating for the engines. The Ford 7.3 Godzilla accepts 87 octane and has good low end torque ~400+ ft-lbs from 1500 rpms to red line. Being able to shift to into 4wd on the fly is nice and usually not something you get from a conversion. Ford dealerships everywhere. FYI many of the Fuso Gas engines are speed limited to 70mph if that's a consideration.

Perhaps check the octane rating for the engines. The Ford 7.3 Godzilla accepts 87 octane and has good low end torque ~400+ ft-lbs from 1500 rpms to red line. Being able to shift to into 4wd on the fly is nice and usually not something you get from a conversion. Ford dealerships everywhere. FYI many of the Fuso Gas engines are speed limited to 70mph if that's a consideration.

I‘d say the F550 with the 7.3 gasser is at the top of my list. Agreed, I’m always shifting to 4x4 on the fly, especially in/out of snow packed roads. And yes, it is nice to be able to drive at 70+ sometimes.

Does anybody have a link to an international Ford dealer locator? My brief search turned up nothing.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
First off: even though people keep saying that certain makes and models can easily be repaired/ serviced anywhere in the world... it’s a myth. Ever country has unique specs to the vehicles. This means that a mechanic in Chile could have trouble reading an error code or doesn’t have the correct tool or part in their system. The only brand I know off that has a somewhat reliable network is Mercedes. Any dealer around the world can order you the correct parts. Most times it’s up to you to tell them what you need! This also doesn’t mean they are willing to install them for you. I imported a German sprinter to Canada. Parts no problem, finding someone working on it, a different story! I also travelled in Africa a lot and non of the Yamaha dealers had any parts fitting my 750 enduro. They only carried parts for the typical mopeds.

there is a reason why globetrotters like using older models without electronics.
if something goes sideways, you pretty much best off if you can fix it yourself.
if you want an alcove on a cab over truck, this would make it very tall if you like a usable bed space. Then there is the problem that the cab needs to be tilted for servicing.

budget:
From my experience, building a quality long lasting truck, you need to be ready to spend around $150.000 . This of course sounds like a lot of money. But it all ads up— quickly. Have you looked into buying a used Mercedes expedition truck out of Europe? They start at $50.000 and can easily be imported to Canada if 15 years old.

in any case, you are on the right track by asking questions! Good luck with everything.

First off: even though people keep saying that certain makes and models can easily be repaired/ serviced anywhere in the world... it’s a myth. Ever country has unique specs to the vehicles. This means that a mechanic in Chile could have trouble reading an error code or doesn’t have the correct tool or part in their system. The only brand I know off that has a somewhat reliable network is Mercedes. Any dealer around the world can order you the correct parts. Most times it’s up to you to tell them what you need! This also doesn’t mean they are willing to install them for you. I imported a German sprinter to Canada. Parts no problem, finding someone working on it, a different story! I also travelled in Africa a lot and non of the Yamaha dealers had any parts fitting my 750 enduro. They only carried parts for the typical mopeds.

there is a reason why globetrotters like using older models without electronics.
if something goes sideways, you pretty much best off if you can fix it yourself.
if you want an alcove on a cab over truck, this would make it very tall if you like a usable bed space. Then there is the problem that the cab needs to be tilted for servicing.

budget:
From my experience, building a quality long lasting truck, you need to be ready to spend around $150.000 . This of course sounds like a lot of money. But it all ads up— quickly. Have you looked into buying a used Mercedes expedition truck out of Europe? They start at $50.000 and can easily be imported to Canada if 15 years old.

in any case, you are on the right track by asking questions! Good luck with everything.

Hi Andres, thanks for all of the information. We actually talked to month or so ago, and at that point I was considering a Ford transit, but have obviously moved on to other ideas on the chassis.

I hear you on the old Mercedes idea, I’m just concerned that it’s gonna be nothing but constant constant maintenance which I do not want. Plus, I don’t want to drive 55mph down the interstate here in Merica, afraid I’d get run down, and too impatient. Perhaps I use the rig in North America and just rent (perhaps buy if the right rig was available, then sell at end of trip) some thing in South America. Obviously any rental I would find would be very limited in its 4 x 4 capability, unless we went with something very small.

Yeah, my budget is right around 150-ish.

Thoughts on finding parts and/or service in northern Europe? Primarily Norway and Sweden? That is, with a F550 chassis.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Hi Andres, thanks for all of the information. We actually talked to month or so ago, and at that point I was considering a Ford transit, but have obviously moved on to other ideas on the chassis.

I hear you on the old Mercedes idea, I’m just concerned that it’s gonna be nothing but constant constant maintenance which I do not want. Plus, I don’t want to drive 55mph down the interstate here in Merica, afraid I’d get run down, and too impatient. Perhaps I use the rig in North America and just rent (perhaps buy if the right rig was available, then sell at end of trip) some thing in South America. Obviously any rental I would find would be very limited in its 4 x 4 capability, unless we went with something very small.

Yeah, my budget is right around 150-ish.

Thoughts on finding parts and/or service in northern Europe? Primarily Norway and Sweden? That is, with a F550 chassis.
To my knowledge none of the American made trucks are really represented outside North America. Sure you could find a shop that can work on it but these are mostly not even close enough when you break down. A well kept older truck can be more reliable or wont leave you stranded with minor issues. A modern diesel for example can throw you an error code and stop running as required by emission laws in North America. In that case you would dealing a faulty sensor or an engine code that would be difficult to fix on your own. Older diesel trucks on the other hand are very difficult to kill. Yes you may need to replace old rubber hoses and such but I would rather carry some spare parts for a road side fix than paying huge amounts to get towed to the next shop 800 km away.
at the end, everything is a compromise.

To my knowledge none of the American made trucks are really represented outside North America. Sure you could find a shop that can work on it but these are mostly not even close enough when you break down. A well kept older truck can be more reliable or wont leave you stranded with minor issues. A modern diesel for example can throw you an error code and stop running as required by emission laws in North America. In that case you would dealing a faulty sensor or an engine code that would be difficult to fix on your own. Older diesel trucks on the other hand are very difficult to kill. Yes you may need to replace old rubber hoses and such but I would rather carry some spare parts for a road side fix than paying huge amounts to get towed to the next shop 800 km away.
at the end, everything is a compromise.

I better at least consider an older Mercedes, which needs to be model year 1995 and prior.

Where should I look to source a Mercedes truck out of Europe? Thx!

gregmchugh

Observer
You could check on this one but might be sold or above your budget...

You could check on this one but might be sold or above your budget...

Beautiful rig for sure. Too bad it’s not a crew cab. Can’t have the kids bouncing around in the back ?

billiebob

this ^^^ exactly.
New means you get all the nanny controls and limp home shut downs.
There are several stories on the forum about electronic, computer malfunctions which take weeks to diagnose and often visits to several dealers, shops till you find who can track down the cause. reliability means buying an older mechanical diesel and keeping it well maintained. And new or old, the maintenance is the same.

A new diesel in North America must have ULSD, plus DEF, you could easily be in a remote region with no such fuel. Old mechanical diesels will run on almost anything. And if you run without ULSD or DEF the emissions controls will shut you down.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior