Another camper platform (07 Tacoma)

Just got back from a short trip and have some time to post up my camper build. I finally tracked down a camper shell on craigslist for a good deal a few weeks ago. It was a few hours away and I had no pictures to go off of, but I had talked to the owner and the price was right so I made the 7 hour roundtrip drive. I was on the fence about an aluminum topper and wanted windoors with sliders, but I really like this and don't feel it was to big of a compromise. The sliding windows are big enough to allow the dog good ventilation in the summer and climbing in the bed isn't to bad.

100_1290-1.jpg

Platform
100_1208.jpg

The drivers side is split into four peices that can be removed to make room for taller cargo or dirty/wet/muddy things that I don't want on the sleeping area.
100_1211.jpg

For lighting I was going to wire in some LED strip lights. I found these LED push lights at harbor freight for around $2.50 each and thought I would give them a try. So far so good. 30 second install instead of a few hours of wiring, they put out plenty of light, 1/4 the costs, and run off 3 AAAs so no fear of running down the battery when in the backcountry (I'm paranoid).
100B1240.jpg

In action
100_1257-1-1.jpg

Just got back from the maiden voyage. Overall I'm pretty pleased. I need to take it off and put new tape on it, the old tape doesn't seal that well. The lights work great, and I'm planning out some insulation. Also probably going to add some indoor outdoor carpet.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Looks nice.

Since you live in a rainy part of the country, let me point out that you have to be aware of the condensation you'll get with an aluminum shell. I had an aluminum topper on my Mazda B2000 when I lived in Tacoma, WA (Fort Lewis) and I had some tools ruined when they rusted up due to condensation that formed on the inside of the shell and dripped down.

Not sure what the "fix" is, I swapped out for a polycarbonate shell after that, (BTW: Never, ever get a polycarbonate shell! ;) ) and all my later shells were fiberglass with carpet liners.

Yea, there was a good bit of condensation at night. I think I'm going to use some insulation and carpet the roof to help cut down on it. I cracked the window this weekend and that helped alot the second night. I've thought about adding one of those RV roof vents for some more ventilation. Does anybody have any experience adding these to a shell? Forgot to mention I painted this with several layers of outdoor paint to seal the wood. If it gets wet and warps I have less than $20 tied up in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles