Another AMBO build......

Propane is cleaner, won't gum up the carb for long term storage, and all I have to keep up is fuel for the ambo and fuel for cooking, generator and water heater.

Village Idiot
How much do you think your ambo weighs? I'm looking at a broken down one, and have to tow it. It has a 7.3L in it.

On scap metal scales (after I gutted the in side)it weighs 8500 lbs, 10,500 gross vehicle weight.

7.3 e4od trans, 78,000 miles

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Hey man, how about bundling up all that wiring you removed and send it on down my way! ?

Seriously though, is that solid core Romex I see you running to the 120VAC outlets? I hope not, because that is not approved for this type of application, and neither are wire nuts.

clarkh

Observer
I had huge plans to reuse all the wire I removed from mine, problem was most of it was only 6-8 feet long. I wound up keeping a variety of different gauges and sending the rest to the recycler. Not worth the hassle to constantly splice together.

I'm sure the ambulance builders code prohibits romex but does RVIA? I used some for the few 120v circuits I have and am not worried. I wouldn't use wire nuts though.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I'm sure the ambulance builders code prohibits romex but does RVIA? I used some for the few 120v circuits I have and am not worried. I wouldn't use wire nuts though.

I'm not sure about the RVIA, but the NEC is what governs all of it. If you ran Romex from point to point and made the connection using good quality screw type connection points on the appliance/outlets, you will probably be OK. If you used the cheaper quality quick clip spring type connection points, you will most likely have problems down the road.

Vibration is the killer here. When the solid wire moves against the contact point, arcing occurs and heat is generated. It may be small at first, but as we all know, arcing eats away the metal and the arc gets bigger and bigger, resulting in more and more heat until a fire starts.

Under no circumstances should Romex or any other wire be spliced using screw-on wire nuts. Vibration will cause them to unscrew and become loose, resulting in the whole arcing, heating, and fire process.

The best Rule of Thumb is to follow the ambulance manufacturer's wiring techniques, and use the same materials they do. That way you know you and your family/friends will be safe!

clarkh

Observer
If you ran Romex from point to point and made the connection using good quality screw type connection points on the appliance/outlets, you will probably be OK. If you used the cheaper quality quick clip spring type connection points, you will most likely have problems down the road.
Agreed!

All my wire is in plastic wire looms, good enough for the ambo builders, good enough for me. As for me I have seen a few campers wiring and it was solid core wire.....no wire nuts.... got it.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Wire looms, aka split convoluted tubing, is good but has nothing to do with wiring connections. BTW, do not judge anything by what you see in campers and RVs, unless they are in the $50,000.00 range or above, because they are crap. They are built using the cheapest possible materials and techniques, hence the Romex. Ambulances, like all emergency vehicles, are built to the highest possible standards and meet all current safety standards at the time of their construction. Campers and RVs are built to make money and ambulances are built to save lives.

Once we purchase these ambulances they become POVs, and as such they are not governed by the same laws, codes, and regulations that they were as in-service ambulances. So, you can pretty much do what you want, however if you are involved in an accident or have an electrical fire resulting in injuries or death, then litigation will take place and the other party's lawyer will request an investigation from the State Fire Marshal's Office. They will go through the entire vehicle and present their findings to the court. Personally, I sure wouldn't want them to find out I used
sub-standard materials (wire) or improper wiring techniques, would you?

This is all just FYI, you can do with it what you want.

I'm out... Cheers ...?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles