(Another) 2021 Ram 5500 Build Thread

frodotbaggins88

I was SUPER impressed with the quality of the Transferflow tank i had on my Tundra, and with their coating. 40000 hard miles with it, and when i sold the truck it never even chipped!

Yes on the small straps. The ones for the Tundra were cheesy because they bolted into the stock nutsets inside the frame horns. I ripped the tank right off the truck offroad and immediately redid the brackets with bulletproof ones and didnt have a problem after
Yeah this one bolted into the existing nuts welded inside the frame crossmembers. Same deal. The truck is just so heavy if you hit the tank just right on a rock/stump or something like that you could definitely rip it off. You’d have to be doing some pretty gnarly terrain though. The tank itself will outlive me though, thing is super beef.

frodotbaggins88

how much do those wheels weight? they are just a modified version of their MRAP wheels for the mil?

I think they're about 140lbs each. They're heavy. They are a variant of the MRAP wheels yeah, they have the tapped outer ring they mount the light armor things to. They aren't the mil surplus version you can find on eBay or whatnot.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I was SUPER impressed with the quality of the Transferflow tank i had on my Tundra, and with their coating. 40000 hard miles with it, and when i sold the truck it never even chipped!

Yes on the small straps. The ones for the Tundra were cheesy because they bolted into the stock nutsets inside the frame horns. I ripped the tank right off the truck offroad and immediately redid the brackets with bulletproof ones and didnt have a problem after

Well shaaaat, if it impressed you, then it must have been the dog's dangles for quality. :)

I think they're about 140lbs each. They're heavy. They are a variant of the MRAP wheels yeah, they have the tapped outer ring they mount the light armor things to. They aren't the mil surplus version you can find on eBay or whatnot.

Uff da, that's a lot of unsprung weight right there!

frodotbaggins88

Well shaaaat, if it impressed you, then it must have been the dog's dangles for quality. :)

Uff da, that's a lot of unsprung weight right there!
Oh yeah bud they’re heavy af. But I dig them, I knew they’d be the only choice for my build. It was a pain in the ass getting them but having that ability to mount my own tires makes it worth it to me.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Oh yeah bud they’re heavy af. But I dig them, I knew they’d be the only choice for my build. It was a pain in the ass getting them but having that ability to mount my own tires makes it worth it to me.

You're one of the only ones tackling a Hutchie R&R in the field. Glad you have the experience to do that!

frodotbaggins88

Have you had any luck figuring out the TPMS for the Hutchinson rims?

Haven't gotten to it yet. As far as I know there's no real solution right now. There are a couple of tuning companies working on cracking the ECU protections for the 4500/5500 and I'm keeping in touch with one, if they can get it done it will be possible to edit the number of tires (convert to SRW), edit the fuel tank sizes for DTE calcs, etc. but no progress yet.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Haven't gotten to it yet. As far as I know there's no real solution right now. There are a couple of tuning companies working on cracking the ECU protections for the 4500/5500 and I'm keeping in touch with one, if they can get it done it will be possible to edit the number of tires (convert to SRW), edit the fuel tank sizes for DTE calcs, etc. but no progress yet.

Oooooh... Let me know

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
You're one of the only ones tackling a Hutchie R&R in the field. Glad you have the experience to do that!

I had a set that were going on mine. Practiced the R&R at my house with some tires to see how it would be in the field.

I promptly gave them all to a friend! Hahahaha

Like the lovely Miss Brown Says.... "Ain't nobody got time fo dat"

StenchRV

Any update on how your Transferflow tank is working out? How much lower does it stick out below the frame than the stock one? Picture from the drivers side :). Our truck should be here next month and we will be following in the footsteps of the Ram 5500 combined crew on expedition portal. LONG wait time on a tank so I may order ASAP. THANKS!

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Any update on how your Transferflow tank is working out? How much lower does it stick out below the frame than the stock one? Picture from the drivers side :). Our truck should be here next month and we will be following in the footsteps of the Ram 5500 combined crew on expedition portal. LONG wait time on a tank so I may order ASAP. THANKS!
I'd like to know too as I just picked up a '21 5500 an hour ago to replace my '01 2500 Cummins/6 speed which got totaled Thursday at midnight due to a deer strike, only 140k miles on it.?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles