Another 2020 Ram 5500 Flatbed Camper Build

highwest

Your tire inflate/deflate system will work great and is what is done by the Indeflate, UpDownAir, MORRFlate, etc. systems as well as a number of DIY options. One on YouTube has a great walkthrough about having air chucks at every tire... something like Cheap Ass Garage... I’m off there, I’ll drop it here if I can find it.

highwest

Your tire inflate/deflate system will work great and is what is done by the Indeflate, UpDownAir, MORRFlate, etc. systems as well as a number of DIY options. One on YouTube has a great walkthrough about having air chucks at every tire... something like Cheap Ass Garage... I’m off there, I’ll drop it here if I can find it.
Found it. I was way off.

Brad_UT

Found it. I was way off.

Dang, and here I was thinking I came up with something innovative! Thanks for letting me know about this. He's using some neat lock on air chucks that I hadn't seen before. I'll look into getting some of those.

Brad_UT

I got the bumper back from powdercoat and it looks AWESOME! The powdercoat guy matched the Buckstop bumper perfectly and everything fit like a glove. It's super satisfying to see my design go from a sketch to CAD to reality.
IMG_4204.JPEG
IMG_4193.JPEGIMG_4191.JPEGIMG_4188.JPEGIMG_4215.JPEG

Last edited:

Brad_UT

Also got the center console GPS/Phone mount installed. I wanted a way to mount all my gadgets without using a bunch of ugly/clunky brackets screwed into everything. The goal was to build something super sturdy that looked clean and unobtrusive. I think I nailed it.

This was made from 1/2" DOM steel tubing 0.120" wall. I hand bent an aluminum rod to get the shape, and then took that over to the bender to use as a template for the steel tube. Got it on the first try which never happens right? It anchors in three places: top of dash using Ram ball, factory console anchor bolt near bottom of dash and lastly to a bracket welded to the seat frame. It seems sturdy enough but I really need to test it out on the trails to see how much it bounces around. I welded 1/2-20 studs to the tubing to mount the ram balls. The ball on the top that extends straight out has a 5/16-24 stud which threads into the tubing.
IMG_4207.JPEGIMG_4208.JPEG

smurfsky101

Hey just wanted to say that you and @RAM5500 CAMPERTHING 's work is serving as a blueprint for my 5500 crew cab 84"CA project I'm kicking off.

My buckstop SRW kit and kelderman rear will be arriving in about 5 weeks. Can't wait!!

I'm still on the fence with the kelderman front though...I feel as if it's really only the rear that has been beating me up on the offroad test drives I've done so far. Do you think it's going to feel unbalanced with air in the rear and stock setup in the front (besides the 3" lift from buckstop)?

I'm a bit of a noob to this, but I think I'll eventually be able to get all these parts installed myself this winter. I've been asking around for local shops interested in doing the install , but no one (virginia) wants to take on the work.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hey just wanted to say that you and @RAM5500 CAMPERTHING 's work is serving as a blueprint for my 5500 crew cab 84"CA project I'm kicking off.

My buckstop SRW kit and kelderman rear will be arriving in about 5 weeks. Can't wait!!

I'm still on the fence with the kelderman front though...I feel as if it's really only the rear that has been beating me up on the offroad test drives I've done so far. Do you think it's going to feel unbalanced with air in the rear and stock setup in the front (besides the 3" lift from buckstop)?

I'm a bit of a noob to this, but I think I'll eventually be able to get all these parts installed myself this winter. I've been asking around for local shops interested in doing the install , but no one (virginia) wants to take on the work.

@smurfsky101 my pleasure sir! Let Buckstop know ya heard about em from me please :)

I just got back from a 5 day 1450 mile initial shake down run with about 150 miles offroad on every terrain imaginable.

Check my build in a day or so for a huge indepth report of everything!

Long story short, YES on the front Kelderman! Details soon!

Last edited:

Brad_UT

That's great news! Welcome to the club sir. I've been trying to make note of some things I would do differently during the build so others don't have to make the same mistakes as I did. Or sometimes, it's just about posting pics and information you can't find anywhere else. Either way, you'll know what you're up against ahead of time.

It's taken me about three months to get this far working on it during the evenings and weekends. If you're up for a project, I'd say do it yourself and save a few bucks. Knowing it was done right is priceless though. And you really don't need any special tools. Just some big sockets and wrenches.

I'm all for doing the Kelderman up front. Making the bag setup work with the Buckstop lift is going to be interesting though. You can lead us through those uncharted waters. I look forward to seeing exactly what this buckstop kit looks like.

Brad_UT

Buckstop Aluminum Skid Plates:
I finally got around to putting these on. Here are some pics so you can see what they look like. The transmission/transfer case plate had a cutout for the exhaust that had to be enlarged by 1/2". It also touched the transmission fluid lines and didn't have much clearance under the trans pan so I had to fab up some spacers to lower the whole plate down. Easy enough, but kind of a pain considering how much these cost.

IMG_4231.JPEGIMG_4232.JPEGIMG_4235.JPEGIMG_4242.JPEG

The front skid plate is a must if you use their bumper. It just finishes off the front end. You have to cut away quite a bit of the rubber air dam to get it to fit. The drop down brackets on the sides were too wide for the pan so I had to again make some spacers. It uses up one of the holes where your front tow hooks mount, so that took some spacers too.

IMG_4290.jpgIMG_4291.jpgIMG_4292.jpgIMG_4293.jpg

I could have totally botched the install on these, but who the hell knows. They didn't come with instructions, and when I asked Buckstop, I got no response.

If I did it again, I'd order the front skid plate only. The factory transfer case skid plate (optional on these) is super stout and works to protect that well. Not sure if the added transmission protection these buckstop plates provide is worth the $$$.

Brad_UT

Alum-Line is done with the bed! I placed the order Oct 23rd, but I think it only took them a few days to build it. It may arrive here as early as next week. With regard to the mounting, I'm going to do a rigid shear plate in the rear, two sets of spring mounts in the middle and then a slider up front limit side to side movement. It's very similar to what you have seen others do. I'll be fabbing up the brackets this weekend and will post more details soon.

Resized_20201210_155310.jpeg

The spare tire will mount up against the headache rack on the right side behind the passenger. (They put a bolt in there for this, but that's not going to hold a 300lb tire.) There is room in the middle for a ~40gal insulated water tank.
Resized_20201210_155005.jpegResized_20201210_155030.jpegResized_20201210_154938.jpegResized_20201210_154945.jpegResized_20201210_154956.jpeg

lzpup

Observer

Brad_UT

great bumper, I have been thinking about reworking my rear bumper and using a rear winch after a few extactions.
Thanks man. Who knows if I'll ever use the rear winch, but it makes me feel more comfortable knowing it's there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles