Andy's 100 Series Build

Awkragt

Adventurer
Yup, moving forward with some preventative items. Brake Booster just got back from rebuild, ignition shaft replaced, driver's seat belt off for re-webbing. Now that stuff is torn apart I'm strongly considering an aftermarket stereo to replace the factory CD player that quit working. I could use recommendations on a CD Player/ Apple Car Play/ Backup Cam Double Din. Looking to buy something that's not going to crap out after a year.
Brake Booster.jpgIgnition Shafts.jpgTorn Apart.jpg

jpneely

There's a few really good write ups over on mud that show how and what to do to convert your old head unit to one that can accept new double din head units. im not sure if yours has the NAV built in or not but if it is, you basically have to convert your stereo/HVAC controls to the non nav style and then install your new head unit. the hardest part is finding the HVAC controls apparently. im looking to try and do the same thing. a few good audio shops around me said it would be at least 2k to have them do the conversion.

Awkragt

Adventurer
There's a few really good write ups over on mud that show how and what to do to convert your old head unit to one that can accept new double din head units. im not sure if yours has the NAV built in or not but if it is, you basically have to convert your stereo/HVAC controls to the non nav style and then install your new head unit. the hardest part is finding the HVAC controls apparently. im looking to try and do the same thing. a few good audio shops around me said it would be at least 2k to have them do the conversion.
Oh mine is the easy one. Non-nav early LC100. I just need to pick out the double din unit. Right now I’m debating if I’ve truly purchased my last cd then I’ll get a non CD unit and rip every cd to a single usb stick or memory card.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Yup, moving forward with some preventative items. Brake Booster just got back from rebuild, ignition shaft replaced, driver's seat belt off for re-webbing. Now that stuff is torn apart I'm strongly considering an aftermarket stereo to replace the factory CD player that quit working. I could use recommendations on a CD Player/ Apple Car Play/ Backup Cam Double Din. Looking to buy something that's not going to crap out after a year.
View attachment 743271View attachment 743272View attachment 743273
I just ordered that bracket assembly for the ignition on my cruiser. Mine hasn’t broke but I don’t want to get stuck somewhere. 300 bucks for a factory part that supposedly is revised and beefed up.

Awkragt

Adventurer
I just ordered that bracket assembly for the ignition on my cruiser. Mine hasn’t broke but I don’t want to get stuck somewhere. 300 bucks for a factory part that supposedly is revised and beefed up.

Yeah it was a fairly simple replacement and I assume easier to do before it breaks off in there. I just pulled the old one out and immediately slid the new one in following the same motions.

Awkragt

Adventurer
I went with the Sony XAV-AX3200. Seems like a quality unit. Hardest part was installing and aligning the backup camera I got. Terrible design where the set screw moves the camera. So nice to have modern build in Bluetooth.

Also initially tapped the brake light instead of reverse light so that was fun. Got the camera popping on every time I hit the brakes.

Awkragt

Adventurer
Arranging stuff on the roof, figuring out what actually fits, how much space we need for everything. Really surprised there's no commercially made quick bracket for Zarges cases. Ended up fabbing my own out of aluminum C-channel. New Owl Expedition ASAP mud-flaps are sweet.

14.jpg
15 (2).jpg

Awkragt

Adventurer
So, skipping ahead we did leave on the trip. Shipped from Houston to Cartagena in June 2023. Left our house with 328,000 miles. Currently at 339,500 in Mendoza Argentina for the holidays.

Here it is arriving in Cartagena, waiting to be released from the port.
1703614568942.jpeg

Tatacoa Desert, Colombia
1703614542786.jpeg

Chimborazo, Ecuador
1703614475517.jpeg

Near Laguna 69, Peru
View attachment 1703614413269.jpeg

Ruta de Lagunas, Laguna Verde, Bolivia
1703614262158.jpeg

So, skipping ahead we did leave on the trip. Shipped from Houston to Cartagena in June 2023. Left our house with 328,000 miles. Currently at 339,500 in Mendoza Argentina for the holidays.

Here it is arriving in Cartagena, waiting to be released from the port.
View attachment 812203

Tatacoa Desert, Colombia
View attachment 812202

Chimborazo, Ecuador
View attachment 812201

Near Laguna 69, Peru
View attachment 812200

Ruta de Lagunas, Laguna Verde, Bolivia
View attachment 812197

Great to see your progress on this trip Andy.

Enjoy Mendoza - I spent New Years Eve there about ten years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier