Anderson power pole alternate use

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
A couple of years ago I installed a Blue Sea ACR and ran 1 gauge wire to the rear of the Sequoia, terminated in a SB-350 Anderson Power Pole connector. My adventure trailer had a Odyssey PC-2250 battery. When the trailer and car were connected I had a dual battery system. The adventure trailer just got sold and replaced with a larger Travel Trailer which will eventually get additional batteries and a matching SB-350 connector.
Recently, I needed to add air to the trailer tires and the Viair did not have enough wire or hose to reach. Accessing the trailer battery is pain right now. So, I made a SB-350 with short bare ends the Viair can clamp onto. The ACR will be manually locked, supplying power at the rear of the Sequoia for the Viair. At the end of airing, the ACR will be unlocked.75ACA3AA-8025-406B-8739-A538E1FBDBB4.jpeg
There is a fuse at the front of the Sequoia, although I have made the two bare ends with different lengths so there should be no smoke emission rendering the electrical system inoperative.

WOODY2

Adventurer
I have an idea that may provide you a measure of safety. Spice the cord between the Vair clamps and the Vair using a pair Anderson connectors making sure the end from the compressor will mate with your existing wiring? If you want to use clamps reconnect Voila!

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes Anderson can make any connection "portable".

I put appropriate APP breaks in as part of the install for any "interesting" charge source or load.

That lets me plug a shunt-based BM or cheap AH counter in there, leave for 24hrs to see how much it actually consumes or contributes over time.

rayra

Expedition Leader
It’s an interesting hack but dangerous. Better to make a complete properly terminated adapter cable.
I’ve likewise run 1/0 to the rear of my vehicle with the eventual intent of rigging a hitch-mounted winch, which will also use the SB350 connector. In the meantime I have a rear power module that connects via SB350 to the cables run back from my Aux.
next mod is altering a nice big set of jumper cables with a mating pair of those connectors near one end so the clamps on that end can be detached and the jumper cables plugged into the winch socket at either end of the vehicle.

ETA your ‘adapter’ would make a good improvised torture device, though.

eta consider cutting the clamp end of your device off and re-attaching it with Anderson connectors. Then you can readily swap the end of the cable as needed AND make a much safer adapter to connect it to the heavy plug.
some time ago I put together gear kit to go with some handheld radios and did something similar with the radio charging base. I've since added a few other purpose-made adapters for USB etc. I also modified my folding solar panel kit with anderson connectors and I can basically mix and match connections to pretty much hook anything to anything

hamkit.jpg

solarpanelmount23.jpg

solarpanelmount38.jpg

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I have found that some medium sized alligator clips will fit directly into a larger Anderson connector. I have used this to connect battery chargers to via my winch anderson connectors front/rear. Much more secure than your average battery post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles