Anderson Power Plugs Retail Store?

dsmithers

Agreement on all fronts. In all honesty, Radio Shack was on the decline even in my childhood. I remember going into a store or two for some computer hardware, but it’s been so long I’ve kind of forgotten what they looked like. Craftsman, although they’ve changed from Sears to Lowe’s, it still some good stuff. The power tools might not Milwaukee or Dewalt unbeatable anymore, but most of their hand tool are great value for what you get. Just picked up a Craftsman socket set last month and loving it.

This is still good information on the Anderson stuff though. I appreciate it. Although I was trying to avoid online, I may try my hand at Powerwerx and see what they got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quickfarms

Adventurer
Craftsman tools went through a questionable time with the Chinese tools but they are moving a bunch of the production back to the USA

I have a lot of craftsman tools spanning over 4 decades, I guess I am getting old. And you can see the changes over the years.

The worst thing craftsman did was make those giant head Chinese wrenches, those are now regulated to my vehicle sets

For cordless tools I use Makita 18 volt because that’s what I use at work.

For corded tools I like Milwaukee

Chuck1

Radio Shack was the worlds biggest PC maker in the early 1990s with the Tandy PC, they made other company s PCs too

Milwaukee is the best tool brand now, they win more tests than anyone else.

dsmithers

Took a look at Powerwerx last night, it seems like a solid middle ground. Still online, but their APP product descriptions answered a lot of the questions I did have (i.e. mating pairs). Plus it looks like they sell “kits” to prevent me from buying the wrong contacts for my connector housing.

Price seems on par with the other places I was looking. I’ll probably end up doing them.

Thanks again everyone!

dsmithers

Yeahhhhh. I’m new to all this, so I needed someone or some site to dumb it down to me. Seems like those product descriptions did it. Haha

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Nowadays your best bet is Amazon or Ebay
Amazon and eBay are options but "best" is tough because you have to be watch the source and supplier for counterfeits. With PowerPoles it's probably not a huge problem to figure out but I'm sure they do exist.

Powerwerx I think has store fronts on the Amazon and eBay and I bet you find the prices are comparable to just getting it through them directly and at least that way they don't get that little bit skimmed by the middleman.

Counterfeit electronic components generally is, however, a big problem. Even established and trusted channels get stuffed with fakes. Even happens in MIL and NASA supply chains, so it's a constant battle in the industry.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Agreement on all fronts. In all honesty, Radio Shack was on the decline even in my childhood. I remember going into a store or two for some computer hardware, but it’s been so long I’ve kind of forgotten what they looked like. Craftsman, although they’ve changed from Sears to Lowe’s, it still some good stuff. The power tools might not Milwaukee or Dewalt unbeatable anymore, but most of their hand tool are great value for what you get. Just picked up a Craftsman socket set last month and loving it.

This is still good information on the Anderson stuff though. I appreciate it. Although I was trying to avoid online, I may try my hand at Powerwerx and see what they got.

Radio Shack in the late 90s, early 2000s transitioned from an electronics supplier to a cell phone supplier. It was shortsighted. They lost their core and weren't going to attract new in a competitive market. Had they stayed true, perhaps down sized and focused on bringing back ham/GMRS into their store they'd have survived to see the maker boom and I bet in 2020 would have done fine.

To me Sears and Craftsman were done when they stopped using the Pueblo, CO, foundry and off shored the main line. They weren't the jewelry of Snap-On and Matco but a functional, US-made option was nice. The lifetime warranty is useless to me now because I'm not going to trade in a slightly rounded ('cause impact wrench, ya know) US socket for an inferior Chinese one that will shatter with a hand wrench. I dunno, though, maybe I'm stereotyping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles