Anderson connectors for camper electrical?

Wyowanderer

Explorer
I'm going to rewire my camper this winter and I'm wondering if you all think that an Anderson plug would be appropriate for use in connecting the camper to the truck (electrically speaking). I intend to run 6-4 gauge stranded wire from the battery to the bed, and use the plug to attach the camper electrical to the truck accessory battery.
What do you think?

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I think they are great electrically (particularly with respect to current carrying capacity), but I personally don't like them. I use them to connect my fridge power, and I find that the plug is dislodged very easily.

dms1

Explorer
I think they are great electrically (particularly with respect to current carrying capacity), but I personally don't like them. I use them to connect my fridge power, and I find that the plug is dislodged very easily.

This ^^^^^. I bought into the whole power pole thing and after spending a small fortune on the connectors and a crimper. I have come to the conclusion that I dont like them because if you hold the connector and tug on the wire, the wire and metal contact part will pull out of the plastic part of the plug. I have resorted to putting hot gun glue in the ends of the connector to help remedy this but they can still pull out if pulled hard enough.

If you are looking at the smaller power pole connectors, I would use Deans connectors instead, I used them on my RC cars and now use a few on my rig and solar setup.

MicroBird

Adventurer
I wouldn't use them for rewiring your camper. They are very handy and I use them for ham stuff but I wouldn't use them for anything that I want secure.

762X39

Explorer
I have about 10 pairs of them in place for my trailer inverter, jump pack, 3 stage charger, pigtails coming down from my Unimog's battery box, winch, just about everywhere. I use the 50 amp size for charging and the 350 amp size for the winch. I like them a lot. The 50 amp connectors are mostly wired with 8 or 10 guage depending on the expected draw while the 350 amp connectors are wired with 2/0. I don't recall ever having any issues with the connectors coming apart but if it is an issue, a ty-rap should secure it.:coffee:

xtatik

Explorer
One of the things that make Anderson better (aside from their current handling and self-cleaning features) is that they have all types of doo-dads for nearly all applications.
http://www.powerwerx.com/powerpole-accessories/powerpole-retention-clips.html
http://www.powerwerx.com/powerpole-accessories/weather-resistant-end-cap-dust-cover.html
http://www.powerwerx.com/powerpole-accessories/moisture-proof-splash-boot.html

BTW, the splash boot (third link) snaps together as well to form both a better mechanical connection and weather resistant seal. Molex-type connectors are yesterdays news.

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
the plugs come apart with time & the cure is to hold them together with a very small ziptie, not my idea of perfect

Wyowanderer

Explorer
Well...
I WAS thinking of using a set of SB series, but after looking through the links you've provided, I think the powerpole will work fine. And the locking, weatherproof covers will solve the problem of them coming apart (as would a ty rap). Thanks for the link, Randy, it was a big help.
I won't be crimping these, either- I dislike crimped connections, even in weatherpack connectors. Anyone soldered these? The webpage says it's permissible.

Tennmogger

Explorer
I've got a dozen or so in various places in my Alaskan Camper. Plus a distribution strip in the cab, and one in the camper. I like the Powerpoles. No electrical connector should have to take mechanical strain. The installation design is poor if there's strain on the connectors, IMHO.

Bob

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I'm going to rewire my camper this winter and I'm wondering if you all think that an Anderson plug would be appropriate for use in connecting the camper to the truck (electrically speaking).

It's what I use - and I haven't had any problems with it.

timber

Adventurer
They have solutions for the plugs coming loose and they work well but I have been using them for the disconnect on my solar panel and I will say that just a few drops of rain on that connection while the panel is charging and that connection is toast. The weatherproof boot deal they sell is slightly better but isn't very water resistant. Looking for a new solution .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior