And now the moment you didn't know you've been waiting for...Atl-Atl's 4x4 Ford E350 RV documentation thread!!

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
So I spent a couple days getting familiar with the roof. Turns out there is a mini solar panel up there which is cool. Theres a light on the control panel that has a label that says "solar charging when lit" but I missed the panel last time I was up there since its about 12" x 18" and stuck to the top of the AC unit. I cant imagine it does much but its better than nothing.

Also the two vents are enclosed in these massive boxes that are meant to allow the vents to be open during any weather. Thats great and all except they render the vents nearly useless. When wide open they have almost no air flow. So I ripped out the one above the bed in favor of a powered fan. Super pumped about this one. I happened to have the exact fan new in the box because I was going to install it in my Go Fast Camper but never got around to it.

Old vent box
View attachment 769582
Old vent
View attachment 769583

The name of the game on RV roofs is GOOP and lots of it. What a pain in the ass to remove, especially since the roof is thin rubber. Best tool I found was this fiber strand removal wheel. Too much force and it will go through the rubber but it did a great job.
View attachment 769584
View attachment 769585
View attachment 769586

New fan
View attachment 769587
View attachment 769588

Next up I cut the opening for the new range hood. This one actually vents to the exterior unlike the old one that did nothing.
View attachment 769589

Installed some fake subway tile as the backsplash.
View attachment 769590

Also installed a new tinted operable window with a screen. Its a slightly smaller size than the one I removed which is not great. It also uses a slightly different mounting flange that Im not happy with. Looks great but its not sealed correctly and Im kinda stuck about what to do. Just waiting on the new faucet to arrive so I can finish putting the kitchen back together.
View attachment 769591
Looks good, the color scheme is kinda what the new rpods look like. Black and brass/gold.

I’ve been a rv tech for a while and I’ve never seen a full refresh like this. I don’t think anyone wants to pay the 180/hr shop rate to get it done.

Are all those lights on the rear original? I haven’t seen that style before.

I’ve never used one of those fiber wheels before. I’ve seen guys use the Roloc bristle disc to get things real clean.

Most guys use a flat scraper blade on an oscillating multi tool and just accept you can’t get the last 1/8” of sealant off.
You CANNOT try to scrape right to the rubber, it’ll go right through

Last edited:

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Looks good, the color scheme is kinda what the new rpods look like. Black and brass/gold.

I’ve been a rv tech for a while and I’ve never seen a full refresh like this. I don’t think anyone wants to pay the 180/hr shop rate to get it done.

Are all those lights on the rear original? I haven’t seen that style before.

I’ve never used one of those fiber wheels before. I’ve seen guys use the Roloc bristle disc to get things real clean.

Most guys use a flat scraper blade on an oscillating multi tool and just accept you can’t get the last 1/8” of sealant off.
You CANNOT try to scrape right to the rubber, it’ll go right through
Good to know that youre an RV tech, I might have questions in the future! I tried using an oscillating tool but it was actually easier to use a crowbar to scrape the majority off then go to the wheel.

Ive seen a few RV full interior refreshes online but never in person. Seems like most people stick to trailers but no RV/Motorhomes. Unless you get up to the super pricey fancy rigs the interiors are always either gross, boring or both. The plan was to redo the interior before even buying the thing.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Next up was finally installing the headlights. There are precisely zero 08+ Ford Econoline vans in junkyards around Phoenix which makes precisely zero sense given that Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the country. Needless to say I was unable to find the stuff I needed for the headlight swap used anywhere. Since there are a bunch of small pieces and diagrams are hard to come by I wound up at (eww) a Ford dealership, ordered some stuff and waited. Even after looking at the headlight diagram on the computer screen with the parts guy I still ordered the incorrect number of these white plastic "bearings." They are the surface on which the light buckets glide freely when you adjust the lights. There are 4 per light. There are also the two adjustment screws which are different sizes for side-to-side and top-to-bottom and lastly a spring that holds the bucket in place. All this because I hate chrome.

Oddest "bearing" Ive ever seen
IMG_5097.jpeg

Here is where they go
IMG_5096.jpeg

So next thing on the list is wiring. Nobody makes a plug-n-play harness to downgrade to the poverty spec lights. I wound up cutting off two of the three plugs after testing each wire one by one and taking notes on their function. Since my new lights have integrated turn signals and the enormous RV/Tow mirros also have built in side markers I opted to not use the big orange lights in the new headlights. This meant the 3rd plug will simply go unused. Since I wanted everything to be waterproof I opted for solder seal wire connectors and hardwired everything. In total its only 6 wires per headlight and once all of their functions were labeled the actual install only took about an hour with a heat gun, no soldering iron necessary. It seems pretty sturdy, hopefully everything holds up.
IMG_5099.jpeg
IMG_5098.jpeg

Once everything was mounted up I realized the trim ring that holds the light to the bucket looked terrible since it was chrome. By the way, the new lights I chose are Morimoto Sealed5 LEDs. I havent run them at night but if they are as good as the Morimoto's I put in my Tacoma Ill be quite happy.
IMG_5101.jpeg
IMG_5103.jpeg

Made the wiring nice n tidy
IMG_5109.jpeg

Blacked out trim rings
IMG_5107.jpeg

All done
IMG_5111.jpeg
IMG_5115.jpeg

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Well the interior is just about done. I installed all the new lights and painted the misc. ceiling bits in anticipation of the final ceiling material arriving this week. Finished the kitchen with a new faucet, caulked in the counters, wall papered almost the entire expanse of bare walls which was an incredibly huge pain in the rear. If you havent ever wallpapered, dont. Just when I thought painting was getting long in the tooth. Mom helped for half a day and then I was on my own. Moms saying about wallpaper is "the only time I ever curse is when Im wallpapering" and boy was she right. It doesnt help that Ive had this paper for years since I worked in commercial construction. Its super heavy duty vinyl backed stuff that required the gnarliest paste and was nearly impossible to work with. I will be painting walls only in any future campers I remodel.

The sink is now sitting an inch higher so I had to redo the drain piping and the new faucet uses different connections so those had to be mated. Also the cabinetry under the sink didnt allow for the hose of the pull-out sprayer to extend all the way down so I had to get creative with the weight location and a hose clamp. Everything worked out great in the end.
IMG_5219.jpeg
IMG_5155.jpeg

I also reinstalled the footwell light that used to be on the side of the seat we deleted. I actually like this location better because it sheds more light on the steps.
IMG_5164.jpeg
IMG_5165.jpeg
IMG_5170.jpeg

The ceiling already looks better with some black accents. Hung up Pendleton towels that fit the color palette and things are really coming together. Just need to take care of the nasty stock fabric on the dinette cushions.
IMG_5216.jpeg

Finally installed this behemoth, it was quite the project. Its a dresser that I sanded down and painted black to match. Removed the feet and built a platform underneath it where the dogs crate fits. Just so happens her crate is the exact dimension from the back of the passenger seat to the footwell. Made it just big enough to fit the crate and butt the dresser up to the underside of the upper cabinet. Doesnt look the greatest but its functions perfectly and adds a ton of storage. Couldnt make everything pretty when attempting to cram 10lbs of ******** into a 5lb bag. It adds structure to the dresser that was never meant to be used in this way so thats good. Its bolted to the floor, the wall and through the window frame.
IMG_5185.jpeg

Still have some minor details I cant decide on like do I paint the red handle on the window black? Do I paint the hinge and post for the table? If so what color?
IMG_5160.jpeg

Getting there...
IMG_5163.jpeg

Lastly went by some upholstery shops to pick out fabric for the dinette cushions, throw pillows, window coverings etc. Hopefully that will get done in the next couple weeks.
IMG_5218.jpeg

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Ill be running 35x12.5x17 Toyo Open Country AT3 E load rating. They are rated to 3195 per tire. Gross weight of the rig when I weighed it was 8460 so add 1150 worth of gear and Im still at my personal limit of 9600 on only 3 tires. It will be interesting to see what it truly weighs fully loaded with fuel, water, gear, people, dogs etc. I doubt ill be anywhere near the 12,800 that the tires are rated for. Id have to add over 4000lbs to it which just isnt realistic.
IMG_5202.jpeg
IMG_5203.jpeg

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Well my pallet full of @ujoint goodies showed up a couple days ago. Havent even had time to inventory everything yet but Im really getting excited now. Tuesday the RV goes up to Flagstaff to start the tear down. I still need to order the parts for the 4WD conversion of the 6R140 transmission. Hoping this week I can have it up on jack stands and completely torn down, including removing the trans. Fingers crossed the springs are at least done this week if not shipped. Not holding my breath though.

Pallet was pretty haggard but we managed to get it off the truck with the combo of tractor+forks+lift gate.IMG_5238.jpeg

Sneak peak at what I was working on this weekend. Wound up short on material so I didnt finish but the rest will be here this week and Ill get it finished pretty quickly. Dont mind the bubbles/runs in the wallpaper, Ive already pulled out all my hair about it.IMG_5268.jpeg

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Hey thx for chronicling all this. You've actually got me percolating converting a 19RD (mentioned in post#12).

I'm a numbers guy and axle ratings are perhaps more important here than maybe other places so very interested in how this scales out. Would you share the shipping weight for the UJoint parts - if you saw it ?

And sorry can you expand on, "personal limit". Is that a goal, red line ??

Looking great btw. Really good !

Are you looking for a total weight gain # for the conversion? If so, ~800lbs.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Hey thx for chronicling all this. You've actually got me percolating converting a 19RD (mentioned in post#12).

I'm a numbers guy and axle ratings are perhaps more important here than maybe other places so very interested in how this scales out. Would you share the shipping weight for the UJoint parts - if you saw it ?

And sorry can you expand on, "personal limit". Is that a goal, red line ??

Looking great btw. Really good !
You are welcome, thanks for following along. My personal limit is just something I like to stick to, no official numbers.

Roam.Wild

So as the person who was looking into the ALP-19RD, I'll say this, we didn't end up buying one because it's impossible to finance it. They are only built/sold by Adventurer / Fraiserway RV, a Canadian company. You'll have to pay cash for one, which might not be a problem, but just know the average price we were finding them was $50,000-$65,000 USD. But the good thing is Adventurer is always selling them. Or if you live in Canada there's no issue. But they have quite a few for sale at the moment: HERE

OP can not WAIT to see the wheels and tires on! This is gonna be a beast!

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Here we go!! Finally got the RV up to Flagstaff to get to work. The pallet from UJoint showed up and I got everything inventoried and then managed to install the front spring hangers which are supposed to be the biggest pain of the whole job. These arrive in raw steel because they have to be mocked up and have 8 holes a piece drilled through them and the frame. Also tossed the front bumper on for a test fit. I need to trim the bottom of the headlight bezels so I can suck it up as close as possible to the grill/lights/fenders. Winch showed up today so I can slap that in the bumper before final install.
Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 6.33.52 PM.png
IMG_5297.jpeg

Apparently the frames on Econolines can be quite noodly, hopefully this isnt a concern. In the second pic you can see how crooked the drivers frame rail is. :eek:
IMG_5303.jpeg
IMG_5304.jpeg

Front bumper mocked up. Starting to look pretty good, for an RV.
IMG_5305.jpeg
IMG_5308.jpeg

Winch showed up today. Smittybilt X20 waterproof 12,000lb winch with synthetic cable. Every Warn winch under $2500 is out of stock so I went with Smittybilt. They have definitely improved on their reputation and I have one in my Tacoma as well so Im not afraid to run it.
Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 6.15.10 PM.png

Also, something I never thought Id be excited about, my new black water dump tube showed up. :poop: It uses a magnetic cap for a 4" square tube to hold it in place. My new rear bumper will be made to fit this inside so its neat and tidy and not hanging down below the truck inside a huge PVC pipe like the current setup.
Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 6.20.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 6.21.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 6.09.29 PM.png

oldnslow

Observer
Those dump hoses are usually in the bumper from the factory, and the rubbing on the steel bumper (which is soon rusty) destroys them. That is why people put those PVC sewer pipes on to hold the hose without it being destroyed. Just a heads up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier