And now for something different...VW Golf Syncro on Ebay

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
thanks again for BaT to bring this to my attention:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120706808460+&viewitem=

1991_Volkswagen_VW_Golf_Country_Synchro_4x4_For_Sale_Canada_resize.jpg

I think the Germans were the last ones to create some unique vehicles in the 90s....

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
...we should start a contest, who's the first Expo member to get one.
Last I heard - and I'm begging someone to prove me wrong - these are illegal for import into the US (ok for Canada, tho'). I talked to an importer a year or two ago, and he said it was a no-go unless someone with mega-bucks could pave the way....

gelandegolf

VW Golf Country

Last I heard - and I'm begging someone to prove me wrong - these are illegal for import into the US (ok for Canada, tho'). I talked to an importer a year or two ago, and he said it was a no-go unless someone with mega-bucks could pave the way....

Yeah, basically. The Country is not on the NHTSA eligibility list, thus a registered importer (RI) is not able to take one and make the necessary mods to make one legal in the US. I explored the option of bringing one in years ago, and started a discussion with a prominent RI. The 1st step IIRC was to petition VW for a letter of conformity, basically asking permission from the mfr. to start the process of bringing the car into the USA. VW refused the request, and that was the end of that.

That said, there are a few of these running around in the US. It's not terribly difficult to get your state DMV to title and register a non-complying foreign car. Its still illegal at the federal level however, and if you get caught they can seize the car and crush it.

I spoke to an RI recently who has a Country in California. It's parked in his garage, not titled or registered however. He stated that would be impossible in CA, but no problem for other states... he didn't really explain how that could be done. He also mentioned that he was open to selling the car for $10k...

I've assembled most of the parts needed and will be assembling my own this summer using a US spec chassis. Totally legal and legit, so no worries! :elkgrin:

Here is a pic of all the parts needed to make a standard Golf syncro into a Country. Steyer Daimler Puch of Austria assembled over 7,000 Golf Countrys from '90 to '91, roughly.
standard.jpg

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
...1st step IIRC was to petition VW for a letter of conformity... still illegal at the federal level however, and if you get caught they can seize the car and crush it....I've assembled most of the parts needed and will be assembling my own this summer using a US spec chassis. Totally legal and legit, so no worries!
I was less lucky in getting a usable email response out of VWCustomerCare back in 2009. I've seen a few on eBay in Canada, it would be just my lousy luck to either have one impounded at the border, or for a knowledgeable Fed recognize it later and seize it.

Keep us updated on your build. I'm so used to the overall 'feel' of my '86 GTI after having owned it since '94, that it really is an entertaining idea to get another high ground clearance 4x4 version and alter the interior for my style of mild off-road Expo camping.

gelandegolf

VW Golf Country

Well, in 2015 the first batch of these should be turning 25 years old, so maybe we'll see some start to trickle in to the USA!?
goco5ri7.jpg

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I owned one of these when we lived in Germany... I paid $400 bucks for it. I didnt even know it was a Synchro until I got underneath it and saw the driveline once I got it home. Hell, I didnt even know what a Synchro was! I gave it to a friend when we left to come back to the states... it was unstoppable in the snow!

It wasnt nearly as pretty as some I have since seen on here...but it was a great little vehicle.

DSCN0885.jpg

DSCN0883.jpg

DSCN0882.jpg

DSCN0881.jpg

DSCN0880.jpg

DSCN0879.jpg

DSCN0878.jpg

DSCN0877.jpg

bnicho

There was a RHD one of thes on eBay Aus a year or two back. I think it was registered in Queensland.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles