And now for something completely different

Orlov

IMG_7331.jpg
This is what I bought unseen at auction; a military 1000L, 265 gallon water trailer.
Double walled insulated aluminum tank.

Now, what can we do with this...
IMG_7338.jpg
Submarine hatch?

IMG_7335.jpgIMG_7334.jpg
Cramped quarters for one, 5ft (150cm) internal length.

IMG_7337.jpg
Nice bookshelf?

IMG_7332.jpgIMG_7333.jpg
Gasoline heater, and electric.

IMG_7340.jpg
Chimney.

IMG_7339.jpg
External storage, and optional lunette.

Now, the problem of where to store water is solved...
So, what do you think? Cozy or crazy? :)

Flashole

Adventurer
Can you make a smoker out of Aluminum?

ETA....No way I could sleep in that. I'm to claustrophobic.

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
cut the thing in half & tig weld or rivet on some hinges & use it for storage like anyone might

lots of storage though

finnd1

Testudineous Dan
I would be too worried someone would lock me in. Though, I could put my kids into it and the wife wouldn't worry like she does when they are in a tent.

evilfij

Explorer
I would cut a square hole in the back and make it fold down like the opening on a pop up so you could stick your feet out the back. I would make a small tent like cover for that end. More leg room and a second means of emergency egress.

Orlov

OK, time to get serious... Although a few of you obviously liked to sleep in a tank, I wouldn't. :elkgrin:
So here are the real plans for this trailer:

The plan is to build a multi use trailer with four different and interchangeable uses.
  1. A water transport trailer for both summer and winter duty in case of problems with water supply.
  2. A flat bed trailer for carrying, well, stuff.
  3. Trailer with removable upper structure or box, for transportation.
  4. As a fully decked out and equipped expedition/trip/camper trailer.

The concept is based on a hook lift system
hooklift.jpg
but with the box dragged/lifted up on the trailer manually.

The box/camper will be 180x320cm (6' x 10.5') and 150cm (59") high. The internal height is just enough to be able to sit inside with a little room over your head, no standing room.

For this concept to be any use, the trailer needs to supply shelter and comfort even in cold weather conditions.
Therefore, and since the box needs to be removable, it needs to be insulated and light.
So the structure is planned built out of extruded styrofoam laminated with fiberglass and epoxy.

What the trailer needs to incorporate:
  • Sleeping couch for converting from bed to living space.
  • Kitchen with storage.
  • Sink with running water.
  • Gas cooktop.
  • Toilet facilities.
The box will have a sloped front, a window on each side, a door on the right rear side, and a top hinged rear hatch to provide shelter when using the kitchen.
The kitchen section will also be removable to use the trailer as an enclosed transporter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles