And it starts, new trailer build

jwiereng

Steel prices were going up into the whazoo, you might be able to ride it out and catch it on the downslope. IIRC my last invoice on hollow structural section was $2.55 CDN per pound!

billiebob

very nice build. I wish I'd done the 1/3 size mattress so I could sit properly.
Calgary, I'm there a few times a year visiting the son/grandson.... would be cool to visit and see the project.

Heres mine, 5x10 on a Mirage deck.

DSCN3098.jpeg

You have a Jeep? me too. Storing the doors was the main reason I built my own. The front 14" holds both TJ doors.
All my stuff has pinstripes and patina.... not a house proud guy. I build stuff to use it.
Altho everytime I look at tis picture I think time to sand blast, prime, paint the trailer.

DSC_0122.jpeg

Last edited:

Vinman

Observer
Steel prices were going up into the whazoo, you might be able to ride it out and catch it on the downslope. IIRC my last invoice on hollow structural section was $2.55 CDN per pound!
I was quoted about $7.75 per linear ft for 2x3x.125 wall tubing last week.

Vinman

Observer
very nice build. I wish I'd done the 1/3 size mattress so I could sit properly.
Calgary, I'm there a few times a year visiting the son/grandson.... would be cool to visit and see the project.

Heres mine, 5x10 on a Mirage deck.

View attachment 694989

You have a Jeep? me too. Storing the doors was the main reason I built my own. The front 14" holds both TJ doors.
All my stuff has pinstripes and patina.... not a house proud guy. I build stuff to use it.
Altho everytime I look at tis picture I think time to sand blast, prime, paint the trailer.

View attachment 694990
I’ve seen your posts with trailer and Jeep many times, I especially like the skinny tires on your Rubicon.
I’m in Okotoks, about 15 mins south of Calgary city limits and you’re more than welcome to stop by if you’re in the area.

billiebob

Right on.

My favourite route to Calgary is Cranbrook thru Hwy 22.... Ian Tyson country.... especially at dusk in the winter...
You live in Gods country.

Will definitely get in touch.

Vinman

Observer
Finally made some progress on the trailer build. Exterior of the floor has been fibreglassed, both windows and door cut out, hatch is cut except forth corners (final cut will be done once permanently mounted to the chassis) chassis is about 80% complete. In the first photo I’m test fitting the box to the chassis to make the body mounts and template the rear bumper and the other two are when I was fitting the Timbren axleless suspension.
I should also mention that early on my math was a bit off and I had to either raise the wheel-wells or lift the trailer another 2”. After contemplating a bit I cut out the wheel-wells and remade them 2” higher. Was quite a chore since the wells went in before the insulation and interior floor.
4A4EB54B-2B0D-4FF4-B5DD-57043D051756.jpeg0E606AB1-F30A-4317-A81D-2844D0091089.jpeg29B9F4C6-4E48-41D0-9349-84C9E159794C.jpeg

Last edited:

Teardropper

just sorting out which resin or epoxy to use, any recommendation?

I've always had good luck with Raka epoxies. Buy the pumps when you order the epoxy.

"building the box first seems unorthodox but makes sense to me."

I've done it both ways. It's a lot easier to build the cabin and mount it later. That way you don't have to work around the tongue and tires. Most of the major manufacturers such as Camp-Inn and So-Cal do it that way too.

Turn the speakers up:

Tony (y)

Last edited:

Vinman

Observer
Chassis is 95% complete now, only thing to add is some rock sliders which will be done once the box is installed to ensure correct positioning.
Frame is coated with metal etching primer (2 colors, I ran out half way through). Next step is to paint the frame, then paint the bottom of the box so it can be permanently installed.
I think I mentioned early on that when I decided to start this project I had no work lined up all Winter, as it stands right now, I have enough work booked to keep me and a guy I just hired busy for the rest of this year at least.
The trailer still gets worked on regularly though, trying to have it at least useable by April 1st.
EA84EC10-119B-42AE-B0CA-A109832793FF.jpeg0B7F69FC-9CBB-43D0-A7B9-A3C6B3031E26.jpegC8B8F3C8-9E8B-4093-B9FC-42715BF519E3.jpeg96EAC7CC-7264-4FA1-AE4F-4C9072732A8B.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles