And it starts, new trailer build

Vinman

Observer
Decided to build myself an somewhat off-road capable square-drop trailer to pull behind my Jeep.
Started with the box first and will build the chassis once the box is complete.
The box will have the typical teardrop rear galley, entrance door on the passenger side only with one window as well as an emergency exit RV window on the drivers side.
Since this setup is for myself only I chose a tri-fold mattress 38” wide and will be building an elevated platform for it which will allow me to sit comfortably while putting shoes on as well as lots of room for muddy footwear and such.
Specs are 5x5x8’ box primarily 3/4” plywood with 1” rigid foam insulation in the walls and floor and 1-1/2” in the roof.
The chassis will be built mainly from 2x3x.120 wall tubing with a 2x2x1/4” tongue.
Suspension will be Timbren 3,500lb HD axleless with 6 on 5-1/2” bolt pattern and electric brakes.
Also plan on running 235/85R16 tires. 9C4CCD55-8624-42A2-A61F-EE460DC3E653.jpeg45BC9D18-F7D9-4A17-8CE8-55E7CA2BC32F.jpegCD75DB99-C3DC-4D39-A587-29E19E9FAE46.jpeg962EF6FF-A468-495C-ADBF-096AD868683E.jpegC034654B-F6C1-44A3-9F9D-9ECE2227C63C.jpeg

jgaz

Adventurer
I love the idea of being able to sit up with space to put on my boots.
Also a place for storing them would be key for me

Vinman

Observer
Little more progress last night, finished the floor other than insulating the wheelwells and enclosed the rear section. Waiting on windows, suspension and door to arrive.
Hmm, looks like I didn’t take any pics if the finished floor.

Next step will be to cut out the rear hatch door then onto the galley area and some of the interior. I don’t want to chance cutting out the windows or final cut the door opening until they get here and unfortunately it seems to take 3-4 weeks to receive anything I order for this project.
I should have the fibreglass mat and resin next week to completely waterproof the exterior then I will start building the chassis936C82DB-5743-4F7A-8CA2-431E3C8F27B7.jpeg35A0032C-BE87-4D7A-9ED9-24B10258ED53.jpeg

Vinman

Observer
Do you plan to radius the plywood corners to make fibreglass lay in more agreeable position?
Yes, I will round over the edges with a 1/4” or 1/2” bit before laying the Fibreglass. I may even router in a 1” wide x 1/8” deep slot wear the fibreglass joints will be to allow a nice smooth transition, although not really sure thats necessary.

jwiereng

You might be on to something with the deep slots where the seams will be. I have not done a great deal of fibreglassing, but sounds easier to add filler if needed than to try to sand down.

jwiereng

Will you remove the screws at the corners when you router the round over? Or is there enough space? It looks close on the photos.

Why do you plan to use fibreglass mat vs cloth?

So many questions, because I like your approach so far.

pith helmet

this is great. love the design, like a more angular version of the old aloha campers. building the box first seems unorthodox but makes sense to me.

Vinman

Observer
Will you remove the screws at the corners when you router the round over? Or is there enough space? It looks close on the photos.

Why do you plan to use fibreglass mat vs cloth?

So many questions, because I like your approach so far.
I removed the corner screws and hit the edges with a 1/4” round-over bit but felt it wasn’t enough so went around again with a 1/2” radius bit, much better now. After radiusing the edges I re-installed the screws.
When I said “mat” I was just using a generic term and indeed do now have the 4oz cloth, just sorting out which resin or epoxy to use, any recommendation?
Pics of the edges now and floor sealed up
5FE3F0A6-2155-49A3-A319-E13054A04947.jpeg84A76DAE-BAE9-476B-980E-45AA85F7351A.jpeg18EE5B38-FDA2-4779-BA99-8697ACF96820.jpeg

Last edited:

Vinman

Observer
this is great. love the design, like a more angular version of the old aloha campers. building the box first seems unorthodox but makes sense to me.
Yeah, building the box first does seem backwards to a lot of people but I don’t see what difference it makes.
My reasoning was I had a few hundred bucks to start the project and no work lined up for a couple of months (self employed contractor) and figured I could make the money last longer doing the box first if that makes sense. Building the box will give me work for a month but the frame can be built in a weekend for about the same amount of money. That and the Timbren suspension won’t be here until Christmas. That being said, I should be getting the raw materials in later this week for the frame build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne