And it begins. Stump XJ's trailer build.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I cant wait to get her offroad. If the stars align correctly, it will be in two weeks up in the mountains.

I hope my trailer will be finished for that trip; it has been too cold for painting and the trailer builder who is building my base trailer is behind schedule.

Sean, I got the gas springs from McMaster Carr. It was wierd, I ordered them on Sunday night online, they said they would ship out on Monday morning, and I got them at 2pm on Monday. The same day they shipped out. I can honestly say that has never happened before!
McMaster is a great company, also as customer. We are supplying them with parts, but we also use them all the time. They have a warehouse in Atlanta which gives extremely short delivery time to our area.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Are you definitely coming anyhow? I still have you down as a "maybe"...
I have to stay a "maybe" right now; I removed my RTT and carrier from the Jeep and I'm too old (= too much of a wuss :eek:) to ground camp in a tent. If I don't have the trailer, I don't think I will be going.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
thanks for that, i already had that page on mcmaster bookmarked, just wondering if you found a different source (even though i love ordering from mcmaster, i get stuff same day or next day as long as its in stock in their LA warehouse)

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Got some more work done today on the trailer. I made up the rear tailgate using 1 inch square tubing, and sheeted the front side and backside. I will be using this as a table space when camping, so I needed a nice flat surface on both side. I got the hinges on, and latch pins in place, but still need to install the hardware that will hold the tailgate up. I am just using some support cables from a tacoma pickup truck tailgate. Simple, effective, and free. They are also easily removable for if/when I need to take the gate off. I just have to un-clip the two support cables, and pull the hinge pins.

pics:

DSCN1636.jpg

DSCN1635.jpg

DSCN1623.jpg

Last edited:

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I also installed the two latch pins for the lid, and will use hitch pins to hold the tailgate and lid shut. There will be a locking twist latch that connects both the lid, and the tailgate in the center to deter theives. I will only use the lock when I am on the road or have to stay over night where the trailer will be un-attended.

Lastly, I got the driver side fender framed out and skinned. I still have to do a little caulk work, and add the clearance lights on top, but its finished on the left side. I am picking up my other tire tomorrow, so I will be able to turn the trailer around and do the other fender hopefully tomorrow. After I finish the other fender, and do a few little odds and ends stuff, the bulk of the fabrication will be done! However, I still need to cut off the standard hitch, and install a receiver, and add an adjustable height awning mount. I will do the awning mount soon, but the hitch will wait until after its first shakedown run next weekend.

Pics:

Getting it framed out

DSCN1624.jpg

DSCN1625.jpg

DSCN1626.jpg

DSCN1627.jpg

DSCN1628.jpg

Persuading the sheetmetal to do what I want it to do.

DSCN1629.jpg

Got it all sewn up.

DSCN1634.jpg

DSCN1633.jpg

DSCN1632.jpg

DSCN1631.jpg

Stump.

telwyn

Adventurer
nice work

I'm constantly amazed by the work some of you guys do on your rigs and trailers.

Looking great! :bowdown:

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I see that you made up your mind on tires.
Summit? How much?

Yeah, I decided to just use what I had with the Cooper STT. I got the other one from Sears since I had a crap load of Sears gift cards. They price matched the best price I could find online which was $156.00, and I didnt have to pay for shipping. I thought it was a good deal, so I went with it. I just picked up the other one today and mounted it a few minutes ago in the garage. Mounting tires sucks when they are cold!

Looking pretty nice,should serve you very well it to the future.Nice and solid.

Thanks man! I think it should last me a while...

Stumpy,

Any idea on the weight of your creation?

No idea at this point. I wouldnt call it light, but its not as heavy as some I have seen built on here. There is a point where the level of 'overbuilt' is an un-necessary waste. I think I am in a happy medium of strong yet not too overkill. I will get it weighed once I get it finished. My uncle who owns a Salvage Yard has a set of drive on scales for big trucks, so I will do it there. I am also curious what my Jeep weighs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles