And it begins. Stump XJ's trailer build.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Looking forward to checking out your conqueror

~James
Yeah, they got some things pretty right.
But they got some things pretty wrong...

Everything you do, AT does, Conqueror does, etc, everything --- a compromise of some sort. You have to prioritize what you want.

The two stand-out things I like about the Compact: 1) fold-out "table" on the kitchen side 2) the big changing room built in

Two stand-out bad things: 1) fold-out "table" inside the tent 2) rear door that I can hit my head on

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
So, I picked up all the steel sheeting I needed to complete the trailer this week, and already have the floor welded in. I also picked up 95% of the tubing I needed to complete it as well. I am actually using the trailer tomorrow to deliver a couch to my wifes sister in Birmingham, and on the way back I am picking up my axle.

I found a Dexter 3500 pound solid axle with 10inch electric brakes on the same bolt pattern as my Jeep, 5 x 4.5. Its never been mounted. It also comes with leaf springs, but I dont think I will be using them as they are too short for anything but a seriously bouncy ride. I still havent decided on suspension setup for it, so I need to figure that out.

Got the new axle from him for $100 bucks, with electric brakes, thats a STEAL!

Stock photo of basically what I am getting.

dexteraxle.JPG

I need to unbolt this torsion axle and try to sell it, anybody need one? I thinking craigslist should do the trick. Maybe with that sale I can get my wheels and tire.

I basically have a lot of work to do in the next few weeks! Thats a good thing, because I was running out of stuff to do....

~James

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Yeah, they got some things pretty right.
But they got some things pretty wrong...

Everything you do, AT does, Conqueror does, etc, everything --- a compromise of some sort. You have to prioritize what you want.

The two stand-out things I like about the Compact: 1) fold-out "table" on the kitchen side 2) the big changing room built in

Two stand-out bad things: 1) fold-out "table" inside the tent 2) rear door that I can hit my head on

You hit your head on everything big guy...lol:smiley_drive:

Looks great Mr.Stump....the "utilitarian" version will long be forgotten once it's your "offical" camping trailer....you can always find a utility on CL's for a couple hundred bucks...but you can't find many sweet campers like yours!!

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Just a few pics from when I put the floor down. I had to do it in a hurry since I needed the trailer. I need to flip the trailer and weld the underside, but its solid. The 14 guage is quite tough.

Now that I have a couple other project finished up around the house, I will do some more work on this over the next couple days.

You can see the axle I picked up. Unfortunately the old man I got it from doesnt know how to operate a tape measure, so I will need to narrow it three inches on each side. Not a huge deal, just kind of a pain.

Lastly, I am making a two link trailing arm setup with a panhard/trackbar. It will be used in conjuction with airbags, and shocks. Should work quite nicely. I have the arms already done, but I am waiting on the bushings. Just cant bring myself to put leaf springs on this thing since the loads carried will vary greatly... the airbags will be nice to adjust.

~James

DSCN1490.jpg

DSCN1496.jpg

DSCN1497.jpg

DSCN1498.jpg

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
So this is my progress today. Got outside at about 8:30, and came inside about 4pm. Got quite a bit accomplished today for someone who doesnt know what they are doing.

DSCN1519.jpg

DSCN1520.jpg

DSCN1521.jpg

DSCN1522.jpg

DSCN1523.jpg

DSCN1524.jpg

DSCN1525.jpg

DSCN1526.jpg

DSCN1527.jpg

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Got the main frame built for the lid, ground it down smooth, and will throw the sheet on it tomorrow and build a couple hinges.

DSCN1529.jpg

DSCN1530.jpg

DSCN1531.jpg

I am pretty sure this is how it will open. I want my tent to open with the ladder side right over the toungue area of the trailer, and if I measured right, it should work. This will have my tent slid all the way to the front of the lid, and I will make a small roof rack/basket area on the rear for hauling things (bulky stuff, firewood etc). I am going to make two Jerry can holders for each of the rear quarter sections, and one mount for a propane tank on the front quarter. Ill get there eventually!

DSCN1532.jpg

Last edited:

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Not sure yet, remember this is doubling as a utility trailer, so I kind of need to keep it simple. My full camp kitchen will slide right in the trailer, so that will likely be how I use it for a while.

DSCN0486.jpg

DSCN0564.jpg

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

Stumpxj,

Where did you find the legs for your patrol box? I like how there kind of narrow, yet still fold up. Thanks.

Pete Wilson

slimtwo

Adventurer
You did a great job on your camp kitchen Stumpyxj! Idesigned and build something similar to fit in the back of my TJ.
DSCN1492.jpg

DSCN1495.jpg

DSCN1497.jpg

DSCN1585.jpg

I buit mine as two boxes so I could load and unload by myself. Keep up the great work.

Happy trails!

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Bruce.... nicely done! Yours looks more robust to say the least! Have you had a chance to use it much yet? I have used mine many times now, and after working out a few bugs, its hard to go camping without it!

Thanks, James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles