And it begins. Stump XJ's trailer build.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Alrighty. This started about 4 months ago when we moved back to the states. I have been wanting to build a trailer for camping/expo travel/and untility service for quite a while. I had a 1999 5x8 enclosed trailer that I used for my old R/C boat business a few years ago. It was no longber being used for the boat business, so I decided to use it as a base since I already owned, had a title for it, and a tag/registration for it.

I could have probably sold the little trailer for 600-800 bucks, and started to build a trailer from scratch, but then I would have had to deal with titleing, registering etc, not to mention I saved a lot of time and effort by having the main frame already tried and tru and ready.

It currently has 3500lb torsion suspenion, and 15 inch wheels, but that will all get scrapped. I am going to run a leaf spring suspension, probably something like a Samurai spring for a better ride than the typical stiff and short trailer springs. Just a normal front hanger and rear shackle set-up with decent shocks. 31x10.50 r15 Cooper STT's (since I already have one that is new), and some cragar soft 8's to match my Jeep.

I wont try to describe the whole 'plan' thing at this point, but will update along with the pictures as I go.

DSCN1049.jpg

DSCN1050.jpg

DSCN1051.jpg

DSCN1052.jpg

DSCN1054.jpg

DSCN1056-1.jpg

DSCN1057-1.jpg

DSCN1055.jpg

DSCN1058.jpg

DSCN1106.jpg

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
DSCN1107.jpg

DSCN1108.jpg

DSCN1110.jpg

DSCN1111.jpg

DSCN1112.jpg

DSCN1113.jpg

DSCN1114.jpg

DSCN1115.jpg

DSCN1116.jpg

I left the rear stock post on the trailer as they are a very stout piece and will tie in nicely with my plan. I will tie in the framing with these post, and will have a tailgate that will go where the old rear doors would have normally gone. It will be recessed nicely. this material is 3/16 thick, so its quite strong with this shape.
DSCN1117.jpg

Last edited:

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
DSCN1118.jpg

Here you can see where I cut off the excess corners. I will plate this and gussett the top and bottom with plate

DSCN1119.jpg

DSCN1120.jpg

DSCN1121.jpg

DSCN1122.jpg

DSCN1123.jpg

DSCN1124.jpg

DSCN1109.jpg

DSCN1415.jpg

DSCN1416.jpg

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
nooo!!! that was a perfectly good uenclosed trailer! ugh, ive been looking for a cheap one that is all....

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Sweeeet...

Who da thunk you could do that with that?!!!

Great progress, neat work...I'll be watching:bike_rider:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Glad you're finally getting it going, Stump. I'm sure we'll all be giving you advice this weekend...
All I can say at first is, make sure that you have enough room for your Sweetie's stuff and that the mattress is comfy. Everything else is just fluff to the girls...

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Yeah, i'll be honest. It was HARD to completely destroy a perfectly good enclosed trailer. But the floor needed to be replaced due to a little rot, and I wasnt using it for anything. I also needed a more open type utility trailer for random chores around the house. I really dont have room to keep this trailer, much less two of them, so I decided to hack it up.

It will be fairly simple honestly, my RTT will go on a removable lid/top with gas struts, there will be a rack in front of the RTT for carrying bulky things like firewood etc.

I will have a place for my kitchen to slide in and out, as well as a fridge. I have a 16 gallon water tank that will get mounted underneath near the axle, and will plumb it with a pump. I will put a triangular tounge box in front of the open front storage area. I will hard mount my 20 gallon propane bottle, 2 jerry cans, and will have space for 5 more jerry cans. I am going to sheet the outside of the 'frame' with 18 or 16 guage steel, and the inside will just be open. The floor will probably get 3/4" pressure treated marine ply, or I may just use more sheet steel. Havent decided yet. Plenty of tie down places, plenty of storage.

I may get fancy and make a trailing arm suspension with solid axle and panhard bar, but springs would be SOOO much easier. Not sure yet, need to get the axle in my hands first.

It will be fully self contained with batteries and 110volts, etc etc.

Its going to be an organic build, and will just sort of 'happen' as I go. I do have the basic layout, but many things are still up in the air. I plan to inspect Bill's Conqueror quite thoroughly this weekend for ideas.

Thanks guys! ~James

Oh yeah, its a pretty big trailer. The main box is 6 feet long, and 5 feet wide. The front trapezoidal (?) shaped storage area is 5 feet wide, and about 2 feet long. The main sides are 24" high for simplicities sake when it comes to sheeting.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Oh yeah, its a pretty big trailer. The main box is 6 feet long, and 5 feet wide.
Are you going to use the RTT you already have or get a bigger Ezi-Awn or something?
I'm thining in terms of the kitchen, access, and possible add-a-room or something... ...nothing will make Meagan happier than a place she can stand up and change clothing with privacy.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
The RTT I have now will go on it for a while. Its plenty big enough for us at this point. The portable privy will have to work for a changing shelter.

I may re-group on my kitchen set-up, I might make something more integrated like a slide out, but then I would loose the ability to use this trailer for utility usage (Hauling mulch, wood, whatever).

It sucks. I go outside and all these ideas pop into my head, and I dont know which direction to go with it.

Looking forward to checking out your conqueror

~James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles