And GM is saying they’re going to get set up to get 600 miles of EV range!

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
This project to create a new and improved battery may be what we’re waiting for. It’s an important development because the market is going to blow up soon for EV’s. A recent polled showed something like 50%+ of respondents claiming they plan to own an EV in the next five years! GM plans to start off with this new syst

2370BDB3-F1D0-4EA1-976A-D5A1711A1959.jpeg

General Motors hasn't even launched the 2022 GMC Hummer EV full-size electric pickup truck, but the automaker is already working on next-generation batteries to give its electric vehicles more range in the future. The potential breakthroughs mean an EV could be a customer's primary vehicle in terms of range and cost, Mark Reuss, GM's president, said.

The Hummer will be the first GM product to use the Ultium battery platform, and it will get about 350 miles of range on a full charge. But GM now says it can get about 450 miles of range for some vehicles from its Ultium batteries. The 2023 Cadillac Lyriq midsize SUV is the second vehicle due to utilize the Ultium system and is expected to get more miles per charge than the Hummer, the Lyriq being a much smaller and lighter vehicle.”

D

Deleted member 9101

I'm 99% sure that my wifes next car will be electric. Since she never drives further than about two hours from home... A 600 mile range would easily fit her needs.

D

Deleted member 144299

My wife and I are into a few weeks of owning a Prius Prime, she gets to drive it daily and I take the Tacoma to work. I am very jealous that she gets the Prime, even with only 20-30 miles of EV she is driving all electric 95% of the time. I think with even 400-500 miles of range and a network of rapid charging stations (Tesla charges in 40ish minutes) I could see going all EV with something like the F150 as my North America Expo rig. It's all very exciting!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My wife and I are into a few weeks of owning a Prius Prime, she gets to drive it daily and I take the Tacoma to work. I am very jealous that she gets the Prime, even with only 20-30 miles of EV she is driving all electric 95% of the time. I think with even 400-500 miles of range and a network of rapid charging stations (Tesla charges in 40ish minutes) I could see going all EV with something like the F150 as my North America Expo rig. It's all very exciting!
If you like the Prius the Fusion Titanium with sport seats would have resulted in a fight with the spouse. LOL Way nicer ride and driver than the Prius. My mom bought a T3 at 73yrs old. Its been ok but not really a daily driver. We’ll likely switch to a Mach E at some point. Plug-in Expedition with 12-20 mile range would have been ideal for me but Ford took to long. So driving the 2019 dino burner at 17-18 city, 21-23mpg road trips

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
How much range do you get from a 45 minute charge? Do all these range estimates supply a figure for four people in the vehicle w/A/C on or in the case of the offroad vehicles a full load?

craig333

Expedition Leader
Pretty sure they don't . I think those numbers of interested people are inflated. Poor people aren't responding to those polls. I know my retirement plan doesn't include a pricey EV.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Likely depends where you live regarding how popular the EV truck idea is. In my hood where a 1960’s 3bd 2ba 1900 sqft updated in1980’s is selling for just shy of 2 million ?. A 100k EV is meh childs play lol. I won’t be buying a EV truck. But a Ford Mach e with $7500 in tax credit makes it cheaper than buying a x5 etc. Which case we’ll do that in a yr or so.

D

Deleted member 144299

How much range do you get from a 45 minute charge? Do all these range estimates supply a figure for four people in the vehicle w/A/C on or in the case of the offroad vehicles a full load?

Not sure about what they factor in for range per minute but thats a good question. Either way it's very impressive if you ask me, I just hope more universal charging stations keep up so you're not forced into Tesla for a quick charging EV. Here is what Motor Trend had to say

Tesla’s updated V3 fast charger can fill a Model 3 from 5 to 90 percent in 37 minutes. A 50 percent reduction in average charging times. Adding 75 miles of range in 5 minutes, 180 miles in 15 minutes. Twice as many Teslas through a Supercharger station per day... 250-kW peak charging power to stay ahead of the pack. Big numbers were thrown around, including charging speeds of 1,000 miles of range added per hour of charging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz