An Ultralight Canoe

Dirty_Jeeper

Adventurer
I have been wanting to add canoeing to my outdoor activities. It's been years since I was in one. I'm always looking for outdoor activities to replace the ones I can no longer do. Canoes won out over a Kayak because I can't stay in one position for extended periods and a canoe gives me more flexibility with sitting and kneeling options. But, many canoes can be heavy and not real stable in the water. So I did my research and a lot of searching for a used one that would fit my limited budget. Being physically disabled I can't lift anything heavy and lifting above my head is not real good even if it's light. I also have some leg issues affecting my stability.

Most of the canoes I found were 70 plus pounds. May not sound all that heavy, but my Jeep XJ is lifted 6 inches and on 33 inch tires so it's tall to be loading and unloading the roof. Luckily, I'm 6'2" which helps in that respect. I wanted a canoe in the 12 to 14 foot range to also make it easier to handle loading and unloading, but capable of taking two people. The intended use is on calm lakes and rivers with stability and handling being important.

So what seemed to fit the order was a Radisson or Sportspal Canoe. Both very similar yet different. I was fortunate enough to locate a 12 foot Radisson which weighs a whopping 34 pounds. Made in Ontario, Canada. Ultralight aluminum hull and ribs with an insulated interior. A wide 38 inch beam, with two seats and a 500 pound carrying capacity. Foam sponsons also add to the stability. With 3 keels it tracks well also. Mine also has oarlocks which appear to have been factory installed. So it can be either paddled or rowed. It also has a factory motor mount for up to 2 hp. Though this would be ideal for an electric trolling motor.

Granted this is no fast canoe or one to take tons of major abuse. It is a good pleasure, fishing or hunting canoe though. Cared for they will last a long long time. New they sold around 7 to 9 hundred in the info I was able to locate. I was able to find mine in very good condition on Craigslist for 350.

Now I can go to the back country with this compact lightweight and launch easily in remote lakes ponds and rivers. This adds a whole new level to my exploring.

Attachments

• 5U35X65R33ka3pf3l9bbfc6dd5db0472216d5.jpg
    5U35X65R33ka3pf3l9bbfc6dd5db0472216d5.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 313534_2307681379712_1479643734_32482632_1039784298_n.jpg
    313534_2307681379712_1479643734_32482632_1039784298_n.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 5V65O65S43ne3ma3l5bbf15e8ac0c29ae10e4.jpg
    5V65O65S43ne3ma3l5bbf15e8ac0c29ae10e4.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 5T65P55R13na3k03p2bbff0538c3129841cd6.jpg
    5T65P55R13na3k03p2bbff0538c3129841cd6.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 26

ColoradoBill

Adventurer
That is a great find! Thanks!
I too enjoy going on the water. I have had kayaks but I have to haul them in a pickup. I can’t lift the kayak up onto a roof rack. I may be able to with that light of a canoe.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
That's a lovely canoe!
happy0034.gif

I chose Alpacka Rafts as they were the lightest, strongest boats I could realistically carry in my pack.

31012009150-1-1.jpg

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
I know you said canoe, but maybe a Kayak might be a solution.

I bought an Innova Safari Kayak in 2006. I have traveled extensively with it to include a year in Africa, in Equatorial Guinea. The Safari is very well made, and rated for class IV rapids. They make a 2 person Kayak too!

innovakayakafrica.jpg

Dirty_Jeeper

Adventurer
I'd love to kayak, but my body is no longer rated for a kayak. LOL The canoe does allow me multiple seating or kneeling positions.

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
Dirty Jeeper, I like your comment about your body not being rated for a kayak anymore...funny. I am not as lean or as mean as I was 10 years ago, and I don't hit class IV rapids in my Kayak... but I like the fact that it fits into a backpack and weights only about 30 pounds. It traveled to Africa with me on the plane as baggage!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I'm loving this thread, I got back into fishing this year and have been thinking of getting a lightweight canoe for the small lakes and ponds where I go.

Dirty_Jeeper

Adventurer
I'm loving this thread, I got back into fishing this year and have been thinking of getting a lightweight canoe for the small lakes and ponds where I go.

Technology has made it a whole lot easier these days. So many great lightweight products and options to fit your needs. Really nice seeing everyone share lightweight solutions that work for them.

Lake Lenape is walking distance for me, but the canoe isn't that light. Still going to transport it on the Jeep.:smiley_drive: LOL I'm also waiting for spring so I can return to fishing after a few years away. I'm surrounded by lakes ponds and rivers here, so it's only fitting I do some exploring in my new neighborhood. Can't think of a more peaceful way than with a paddle or an oar.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Technology has made it a whole lot easier these days. So many great lightweight products and options to fit your needs. Really nice seeing everyone share lightweight solutions that work for them.

Lake Lenape is walking distance for me, but the canoe isn't that light. Still going to transport it on the Jeep.:smiley_drive: LOL I'm also waiting for spring so I can return to fishing after a few years away. I'm surrounded by lakes ponds and rivers here, so it's only fitting I do some exploring in my new neighborhood. Can't think of a more peaceful way than with a paddle or an oar.

I grew up in Maine where you can't even drive 10 miles without hitting a pond, lake, or wide stream. We had 2 or 3 canoes in our family and they got used more than our boat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier