An oil story about my 6G74 3.5L vehicles...

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
..and valve seals, rear cam seals, front cam seals, valve cover seals, PCV valve, we've all heard it before. Oil discussions always get us into trouble, but I'm just going to report my results and take my beating.

So the wife's truck ('03 Montero Sport Limited) earned the nickname "ol smoky" since I was chasing excess oil usage and the dreaded extended idle smoke issue getting worse and worse. Rear cam seals, later front cam seals, and after quite a while, finally, new valve stem seals, and an OEM pcv valve along with bleeding the lifters in diesel fuel, and replacing the bad ones has solved the problem. In the process, I even tried the old rev it up cycles to clear the lifters, better, but no real fix.

I also read nearly every post across the world about switching to higher viscosity oils, this brand/that brand, to stem the oil loss tide, but nothing seemed to make any real difference to me. It seemed to me that the thicker oil might be harder to get past worn seals, but could make the lifter problem worse.

Apparently, our Monty's will start using/losing oil for many of the above reasons, we don't keep watch on it, the level drops dramatically and starves the top end enough or frequently enough to foul some lifters or damage them causing the infamous lifter tick.

Then enough time, heat, and/or starvation starts to destroy the valve stem seals allowing engine vacuum to pull oil past the seals into the combustion chamber, as the dipstick goes down, mosquito control goes up.

I tackled the lifters and valve seals at the same time, doubtful it would really help or last, but I'm happy to report that it is and has been a night/day difference and worth every bit of headache.

Why is this an oil story post you ask? Hang on a minute while I finish zipping the nomex suit...

I'm lazy, cheap, and read a TSB issued by Ford several years back (yes, blasphemy in the Mitsubishi forum!) concerning their new 5W20 oil and the results of testing that deemed it superseded nearly all of their prior specifications for gas engine oils back to 1991. I know, you say they were only trying to meet the New CAFE standards...but:

I was driving at the time, a Mercury Grand Marquis LSE with the 4.6L OHC V-8. (this was the test bed vehicle package that just preceded the Marauder, factory bucket seats, console floor shift, basically Police car style handling/performance blended with Lincoln luxury). I've driven several previous versions as a daily driver using the same engine for many years. The 4.6L engines in heavy fleet use were very picky about the type of oil used. Higher viscosity tended to starve the top end and you'd have lifter issues, valve seals, and in their case timing chain tensioner failures, etc., sound familiar?

I also still have the old school, trusty pushrod V-8, 5.8L Windsor hydraulic roller-cammed Ford van.

I grew tired of having to keep multiple brands, and grades of oil on hand, and really liked using Motorcraft 5W20 Synthetic Blend oil in 4.6L. The 5 quart bottle from the evil W-Mart is a very good price, and was always happy with how slowly it turned dark, quiet startups, seemingly lower oil consumption. I don't know who makes this oil for Ford, and I guess it really isn't important.
-----
excepts taken from:
TSB Article No.
02-1-9 ENGINE - ENGINE OIL - RECOMMENDED APPLICATIONS FOR SAE 5W-20 AND SAE 5W-30 MOTOR OILS - GASOLINE AND FLEXIBLE FUEL VEHICLES ONLY

Publication Date: JANUARY 14, 2002
"ISSUE:
Ford Motor Company now recommends SAE 5W-20 viscosity grade for servicing most gasoline and flexible fueled vehicles."

"This oil is an improved formulation to improve fuel economy. Testing has validated this viscosity grade can be used in many previous model year vehicles. It is recommended ALL vehicles on the following Vehicle Application Listing be service with SAE 5W-20."

And specifically in my case these:
"1992-2002 4.6L Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis"
"1993-1996 5.8L E-Series" (This one spec'd 5W30 from the factory)
----------
So I'm reading through the TSB, and decide to switch the old van to the 5W20 synthetic blend Motorcraft, that was about 3 years ago, and towing my cargo trailer most of the time, with good results. By now, you must know where this is going...During the top end work on the Sport, I was surprised at the tiny passages feeding the lifters through the rockers, as well as the lifters themselves. I also noted there was an improved lifter design on my engine with larger lifter passages, but still pretty small to me. I replaced 7 defective lifters that wouldn't hold pressure during the bleeding and/or had broken plastic rings.

Could I possibly get away with my beloved Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend in the Monty? Would the world stop turning? Would I destroy the bottom end in a desert environment under load? (Ford tested in Arizona at extreme temps btw) What would I do with the space in my garage I used to keep all the different weights of oil?

My Montero spec'd 5W30 SJ/CD, the 5W20 synthetic blend specs GF5/SN which meets/exceeds the prior Montero specs, and if your believe the Ford marketing department their 5W20 synthetic blend is superior to their 5W30.

From bobistheoilguy.com:
"Q. Does the difference in price between Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 and SAE 5W-30 really reflect a better oil?

A: Yes, Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 is a better oil than Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30. However, in response to Dealer Council Ford Motor Company has priced Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil exactly the same as Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Super Premium Motor Oil if you purchase it in BULK, 55-GALLON DRUMS, or the 5-QUART JUG. Only individual quart bottles of Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 cost more than Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30. Again, the better base oils, and increased additives such as friction modifiers and anti-oxidants used to formulate for the performance levels in the SAE 5W-20 do cost more, and reflect the significant increase in performance."

Last time I had an OEM order, I got a deal on some factory Mitsubishi oil filters and stocked up. I took the plunge, and have been running the dreaded 5W20 synthetic blend for over a year, and am enjoying quiet startups, extremely low consumption, and oil that reluctantly darkens over time.

Some of you, if you read this far are shaking your head, knowing all is lost, that I've been off my meds too long. Bottom line is use whatever oil you want, but be encouraged that if you take the time to do the oil usage repairs properly, your 3.5L may have lots of life left in it, oh, and I'm pretty pleased with my lazy, price-competitive choice in oil for my Montero.

Back to your regularly scheduled program...and what did this have to do with overlanding anyway?

Last edited:

Offroadmuch

Explorer
So I should be able run 5W20 Synth blend in my 3.8L 6G75? Please let me know if I am missing something. And thank you-

normal_dave

Disclaimer: I'm not recommending it, of course, use whatever the Mitsubishi spec tells you to...

I'm using it in mine simply because of me being slightly lazy, and because of my experience and Ford's retro-certification (is that a word?) of their synthetic blend 5W-20 for all previous grades, hence it meets the spec for my 6G74 3.5L, and I have been happy with the results.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
I know I am assuming all risk if I use this type of oil. I have a little clicking that I thought may be my lifters that are dry from sitting all night. Thiught maybe this would help the flow of oil to the whole engine. Just a theory...

All-Terrain

No Road Required
I've always heard that overseas, Pajero's with the same V6's are spec'ed with heavier oil than we are spec'ed in the US. Apparently they use 10w30 or 10w40, as I recall.

Maybe someone here can validate or dispute that?

D

Deleted member 144409

Thanks normal_dave. It must be a David thing because I've different oil for an Accord, Elantra and my Raider. And, of course, can't stand it. Your research is helpful.

I read your write up on lifters and saw a video of a chevy swap. The dude used a heavy grease to hold the lifters in while he flipped the rockers (? I'm a bit outside of my depth...) so they didn't fall out. I wasn't sure if that was the best idea.

Thoughts?

Finally: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/42882

:-D

David

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
I recently read a pretty useful article on bobistheoilguy about multi-vis oil that explained things pretty well. I won't attempt to replicate it here, so I suggest it as good, useful reading for all.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

Of note is the author's distinction between the composition, behavior and break down of synthetic vs. conventional motor oil and the real meaning of viscosity numbers as it relates to both start-up and running temperature performance. Read the entire thing and you may change what you use and why you believe in it. My summary is I think the original poster of this thread is heading in the right direction.

John B.

normal_dave

Thanks normal_dave. It must be a David thing because I've different oil for an Accord, Elantra and my Raider. And, of course, can't stand it. Your research is helpful.

I read your write up on lifters and saw a video of a chevy swap. The dude used a heavy grease to hold the lifters in while he flipped the rockers (? I'm a bit outside of my depth...) so they didn't fall out. I wasn't sure if that was the best idea.

Thoughts?

David

I just put some oil on the outside of each lifter and held the rocker arms vertical until time to rotate them into the holders on the head, by then I sort of layed the arms against the valve springs as I moved the rocker arm into it's final position. Had one or two that dropped out slightly, but by then, they were already on top of the valve stem, so I just straightened them up. This of course assumes you have blocked all the holes and oil return passages in the head prior to servicing.

I also read where a fella cut the fingers out of some nitrile disposable gloves to make a cap/holder for each lifter, stretching a glove finger over each lifter and rocker arm. Neat idea, but you know I wasn't going to take time to do that, it made too much sense of course.

I don't know about the Chevy swap, but I do know the OEM lifters I had to buy were not cheap, but I had read about bad experiences with the cheap aftermarket. I was very pleased to salvage so many of my originals using the factory bleed method in diesel fuel.

Dr. Seuss! awesome. reminds me of a song my older sister used to tease me with, something about "looking over her dead brother Dave, left to starve in a cave..."

D

Deleted member 144409

@JonnyBFromPeoria - I saw that on the MMUSA FB page. I read it. It was dizzying. I'll take more time soon to read it again...I have time as I broke my collarbone the day I was going to pull NOZOMBI into the garage for it's big show.

@normal_dave - I'm trying to visualize the nitrile glove thingy. It will probably make more sense once I get in there. The O'Reilly lifters are $11+ per. They also have a camshaft + 12 lifter universal kit. They are $280 and up. I'll take your clean it up approach unless something happens that I need to post to this forum for. :)

Thoughts?

David

this works fine. vaseline even better. the grease dissolves into the oil and diesel fuel

D

Deleted member 144409

I've several mentions about diesel for cleaning. Is that better than parts wash solution? I found 5-gal at the farm store for $55. Clearly diesel is cheaper. Which is better?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online