An Offroad Trip to see the Wild Horses of Corolla Beach NC

Hi all,

It's been a while since I have posted. I do appreciate everyone's sharing of their adventures and frequently become very interested in taking some of the great expeditions that some of you have posted.

I have not been able to get out and do all that we have wanted in the past because my wifes health has not been the greatest. Last year we trekked to the Outer Banks and spent a few days driving to Cape Point, Diamond Shoals in Cape Hatteras to explore Shelly Island. This year we were planning on a trek to Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton and The Badlands. My wife made a decision to change jobs and they wouldn't honor her vacation time so we knew we had to do something different.

We quickly decided to head back to the Outer Banks and enjoy at least some relaxing time driving up the beaches and exploring many of our favorite places. As we arrived, we stopped at the rangers station to buy our off road pass and we were told that the beaches of Cape Point were closed because of migratory birds. This is not the first time this has happened, a few years back when we there on our vacation the same beach was closed and we had to adventure in new locations which turned out to be a lot of fun as we found some more remote beaches that were much less traveled.

We had already decided to trek to the beaches of Corolla and surrounding areas to search for the wild horses of Currituck County. We made our way up with our beach gear, air compressor and snacks for a days adventure off road in the area.

This was an amazing trip we drove around the area for a few hours and set up on the beach 4 miles up the coast. It turns out that stretch of beach has a lot of people that make this trip every year, but we were still able to find a nice quiet spot to share with our family. The beach is pristine there. We had little trouble riding on the beach, however the back beach roads were inundated with water pools so we didn't spend as much time traveling off the beach as we wanted to in search of the horses. We were fortunate to find some walking up the beach rather close to the end of the black top road.

Horses2.jpg corolla3.jpg

corolla2.jpg Corolla 1.jpg

This trip was a lot of fun for all of us, I wish we would have gone earlier on in our trips to the Outer Banks as I am sure this will definitely a trip every year we go back.

If you choose to take this trip, driving on the beaches has not cost. Parking on the beach requires a parking pass that can only be bought at the Currituck County Visistor Center 7 miles South of the beach access, YUCK! However, the beach was beautiful and the driving was awesome. If you would like to see the video of our off road trip, you can watch it at:

If you are planning to go, the video shows you place to air up and down. It is required by law to air down for beach driving and the sheriff regularly patrols the beach.

I cant wait to take our National Park trip and I look forward to sharing that with everyone.

Best regards and happy adventuring,

Grub

wngrog

Adventurer
Nice! We drove up there in March. Such a cool place. Never saw a pony but riding on the beach like that for miles was a bucket list item for me

Attachments

• 64140032-CF85-4EF4-9661-29E67700E796.jpeg
    64140032-CF85-4EF4-9661-29E67700E796.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 41
  • 2419A60C-8DD5-4253-A53F-D717500F1C43.jpeg
    2419A60C-8DD5-4253-A53F-D717500F1C43.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
  • 12707AE9-65E2-486F-854E-A202C816056C.jpeg
    12707AE9-65E2-486F-854E-A202C816056C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
  • C0B1438E-55E1-4B09-823C-A83EF40B032E.jpeg
    C0B1438E-55E1-4B09-823C-A83EF40B032E.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 38

Umbrarian

Observer
When I lived in Williamsburg I would make it down there several times a year. Have not been there since they instituted the parking pass a couple years ago. Here are some vids.

Thanks for sharing! Looks like such an awesome place to explore driving on the beach is definitely on the bucket list. Seeing some wild horses while at it sounds like the perfect combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6door74

Nice pics and videos. I've wanted to do this for some time now but didn't have the right vehicle. I just convinced my wife to get a Jeep Compass since it has 4x4 as opposed to something that was AWD. I know it's not a true 4x4 but do you think it will do fine driving on the beach?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles