An introduction to my new LR3

I'm up in Seattle, let me know if you wanna wheel! Will be doing half of the WABDR (starting in OR) over July 4th.

Man, wish I could make that trip with you guys; all these "peaceful" riots, I mean protests, have me working crazy hours all over the place support LE, EMS, and Fire aero-systems.

gbarba

That thing is slick – really clean looking setup with the bumper! Glad to see you're getting out there and enjoying the truck. I'm going camping in the Three Sisters area in a few hours, so plenty of Land Rover shenanigans await this weekend.

denver6161

Love the truck and it looks like the build is coming along nicely. Just curious on your experience with the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform. What made you go with Rhino Rack versus the other platform options? Was it difficult to install? No drilling required, right? Thanks in advance! Just curious as I'm looking to get a platform rack in the next week or so and can't decide between the Rhino or Front Runner.

OregonGX

Just curious, did you get the heated windshield fixed and was it the fuse?

Still broken, fuses were fine, I probed a few power wires along the windshield and couldnt determine anything conclusive. It will take an expert diagnosis but it just hasn't moved up the list high enough yet. I have a few more punch list items to get to before I sweat it:

• Rear ladder
  • Wiring up clearance lights in ARB
  • Replacing some exterior lights with LED (license plate, puddle and fog lights).
  • Replacing ripped driver door weather stripping

Dmski

Adventurer
I've been heavily considering an LR3 as a potential next vehicle. I'm shocked you found one with such low miles, what a score! Yours looks very clean and I like what you've done with it so far. How has reliability been so far compared to the GX? And what trails have you been able to run with the LR3? Have you been able to run any technical trails?

Blaise

I've been heavily considering an LR3 as a potential next vehicle. I'm shocked you found one with such low miles, what a score! Yours looks very clean and I like what you've done with it so far. How has reliability been so far compared to the GX? And what trails have you been able to run with the LR3? Have you been able to run any technical trails?

I came from an '06 xterra Off-Road with a 2" lift and 33" tires.

The LR3 is just as capable while having infinitely better road manners, way more interior space, and 10000000000000000x better lighting. Reliability is excellent.

Whoa: You're local. Cmon over, I'll show you the hype.

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
I came from an '06 xterra Off-Road with a 2" lift and 33" tires.

The LR3 is just as capable while having infinitely better road manners, way more interior space, and 10000000000000000x better lighting. Reliability is excellent.

Whoa: You're local. Cmon over, I'll show you the hype.

Didn't realize you were local actually. I'm up in Seattle. Love the xterra/frontier platform and really like the performance I get offroad, but I love the styling, amenities and road manners of the LR for more extended range trips. It's no slouch offroad from what I gather although I've never seen/used one offroad, but the xterra is a beast (titan swapped) offroad so going to IRS/IFS would certainly be a change. Might be just me as well, but I don't know I'd feel as comfortable pinstriping and using the LR as much offroad and feeling as confident in reliability as I would be with a more utilitarian/basic vehicle like the xterra. Just my thoughts, but then I come onto the portal and see rigs like yours and wonder what color the grass is on the others side :)

OregonGX

I would call it nearly a wash so far with the GX in terms of regular and preventative maintenance. Yes, Toyota has legendary quality, but you are still buying complex, luxury vehicle and expect to pay as such. I had a harder initial pill to swallow on the LR3 getting it caught up on maintenance vs. my GX which I bought CPO.

LR3 eats LCAs, GX electronic shocks go.
GX needed a caliper for a frozen piston, my LR3 needed a wheel bearing.
GX needs timing belts, LR3 has some weak points in the cooling system.

I've taken it up black diamond trails in the Browns Camp/Rogers Camp area and it didn't miss a beat even in wet and slippery conditions.

I would call it nearly a wash so far with the GX in terms of regular and preventative maintenance. Yes, Toyota has legendary quality, but you are still buying complex, luxury vehicle and expect to pay as such. I had a harder initial pill to swallow on the LR3 getting it caught up on maintenance vs. my GX which I bought CPO.

LR3 eats LCAs, GX electronic shocks go.
GX needed a caliper for a frozen piston, my LR3 needed a wheel bearing.
GX needs timing belts, LR3 has some weak points in the cooling system.

I've taken it up black diamond trails in the Browns Camp/Rogers Camp area and it didn't miss a beat even in wet and slippery conditions.

I like the direct comparison; I believe they are apples to apples in many aspects and apples to oranges in others.

I went with the RRS CA on my LR3 and although a stiffer ride (negligible IMO) the longevity is much better as there is less elastomeric flex off-road so more life.

I did a rear wheel bearing shortly after I bought Victory so ended up doing both with Timken at the time. When I rebuilt the front between 75-100k I did both front Timken Hubs to reset the life and have been happy ever since.

LR3 def has some weakness in cooling and something owners really need to be aware of with aluminum set ups; the old Toyota cast bottom ends were bulletproof IMO but the aluminum era on any engine needs caution. I've been through few water pumps and did all the cooling hoses between 75-100k and plan to work in a few more resets in the near future as now she's at 135k and running strong. On that note, I keep a spare water pump/gasket and alternator stuffed in the truck and can do both in about 45 min (each) in a trail environment (ask me how I know the times:ROFLMAO:)

Curious to know your thoughts on the GX suspension but not to hijack the thread; just know this thread has always been a good source of information on well used RR and @howirolla adventures for those looking to actually wheel their vehicles extensively and what it takes to maintain.

OregonGX

Time for a few updates on the truck. While the wildfire smoke rolled into the PNW and limited what we could do outside I got after a few small projects I want to tick off before my next overland trip in early Oct.

• Swap out the ARB clearance lights to the LED. My local 4x4 store actually had a pair on the shelf so I couldn't avoid that project any longer. I wired them switched to my switch panel and use them as DRLs and clearance lights.
  • Added a light bar to my Rhino Rack. I have limited "need" for this and it was more something I wanted to see if I could integrate cleanly. I went with the fantastic Stedi Rhino-Rack mounts out of Australia as I didn't like any of the other options I was finding. The lightbar itself is a "best of the worst" Amazon special. I opened up the ends and resealed them and so far no moisture. The light output is frankly stunning for such a cheap item. I could buy 10 of these before I paid for a Baja Designs.
  • Rooftop tent. I had no intention of buying a RTT just yet, but when a lightly used one popped up on my local LR club board I had to have it. I've spent three nights in it already and I absolutely love it. All soft-side RTT downsides apply - cover is a bit tedious to put on, it flaps in the wind, getting up to pee sucks, it is heavy. But the upsides of a comfortable bed, being off the ground and clean, being super waterproof with no risk of water intrusion below the mattress, and a place to store my bedding while traveling are all huge upsides. Looking forward to four nights of dispersed camping in a week or so.
A29E7A25-90B4-4EA6-B917-BAD165A51E19-4694-00000236507284FB.jpgDSCF1294.jpgIMG_2600.jpgDSCF1295.jpgIMG_2525.jpg

eloist

Adventurer
I also own an LR3, and a GX470. The Rover is more reliable

I like them both a lot though. The GX would be first to go of the two. The Rover is one of the kids... The GX is a fancy used toaster

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior