An introduction to my new LR3

gatorgrizz27

I'm taking back my previous statement. My Duratracs do rub at full compression (not at bumpstops, but when offroad while articulated). I haven't trimmed the rear sills for this yet. I also had to move some fender liners up front and the EAS height sensors also had to be zip-tied.

The KO2s may not require this as tire size doesn't dictate exact diameter/width.

Yeah, I wish there were a chart with actual measurements for these common tires, I wasn’t able to find anything when I searched. BFG’s have typically run significantly smaller than the stated size, so when you hear things like “275/65r18’s won’t allow you to move on the bumpstops,” it might not apply to all tires.

I can throw up diameter and tread width measurements of my tires at some point tomorrow, I’d be curious to see how they stack up. The duratracks look larger, but it might just be the full width tread and more agggressive pattern.

OregonGX

Free nature with my LR3 purchase. I was removing the running boards and found an absolutely incredible amount of leaves, needles and acorns. Three heaping dustpans full. ?‍♂️

2A1B6267-3124-4E89-B7EC-2456B6F18B90.jpegDB7309A9-D8CC-4993-99F0-6B810F234763.jpeg

OregonGX

Just got my truck back from my local indy - LCAs, fluids, tires, wheels, alignment, coolant bleed valve. I had previously deleted the running boards at home - thus the free nature. There are a couple little things I need to tidy up with a good clean, new air filters, and wiper blades which will get the truck to a spot where I'm comfortable driving it distances. And then the time comes to order some mods.

GILYYYc.jpg

soflorovers

Just got my truck back from my local indy - LCAs, fluids, tires, wheels, alignment, coolant bleed valve. I had previously deleted the running boards at home - thus the free nature. There are a couple little things I need to tidy up with a good clean, new air filters, and wiper blades which will get the truck to a spot where I'm comfortable driving it distances. And then the time comes to order some mods.

GILYYYc.jpg
This is a nice clean base to work with. Congrats!

Model97

Looks like a really nice ride. I recently had a rash of electrical problems on an '08 that started with the large positive octopus battery cable (it is quite a thing to behold) corroding and shorting out, taking the alternator with it and shortly thereafter the starter. I don't know for certain but suspect they were all related. The initial failure had the car dying with all dash lights going off. It would start again under external charge but would drain the external battery in under a minute. Kind of a pain but I'm relieved all of those parts are fresh and more relieved they went in close succession and not while I was boon docking. My brake lines corroded out too and had to be re-done.. it hasn't been a good maintenance year. Still, it is way cheaper than any number of competing options. I shake my head at the $50K tricked out jeeps in my work lot.

OregonGX

I've been slowly getting things knocked out on the truck - bulbs, clearing some faults, dug into the factory racks and cleaned out 11 years of tree crap.

Last night I installed (one) of the Terrafirma LR3 sliders with tree bars. ;)

The passenger side went on crazy easy; the driver side, not so much. The way my rear AC lines are routed, there is a connection that is in the way and will require a notch cut out of the slider. I ran out of time and energy last night so I will have to wrap that up later this week. Here is the freshly installed passenger side. I ordered some grip tape last night so they are a viable step for passengers.

I can't really blame Terrafirma for the fitment issue, as in looking pictures online I think the fittings are moved around arbitrarily by LR; some quick work with the cut off wheel and it should fit like a glove.

Attachments

• rhS65mhzQgCkF%0bEAI7Bg.jpg
    rhS65mhzQgCkF%0bEAI7Bg.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 85

OregonGX

How is the driving, on and off road, compared to the GX? That is a good-looking LR3.

It has been a few years since I owned the GX but here is what sticks in my memory:

On road:
GX had more body roll (especially as the variable shocks started to fail)
GX had better acceleration and power delivery thanks to really good variable valve timing
LR3 and GX have very similar upright driving positions; view and command of the road goes to the LR3
LR3 feels more stable and planted at freeway speeds 65-70 mph
Toward the end of my GX ownership ~150K miles I had more strange rattles and wind whistles at speed than you would imagine for a Toyota product.

Off road:
Very easy to get on the bump stops on a factory sprung/rear air spring suspension GX. Not forgiving AT ALL. Hell, my shocks were so bad by the end of my ownership, speed bumps were an exercise in bottoming out.
LR3 full air suspension handles washboard and chatter on secondary and fire roads like a champ. GX factory spring rates and damping just aren't all that great offroad.
I haven't had the LR3 in snow yet, but the GX was the best vehicle I've ever driven in snow. The power was always right where you needed it and the weight distribution was fantastic.

Final thoughts, the GX is still an incredible platform, and the power plant (I had the later, higher rated 4.7 in mine) along with the lighter curb weight made it feel slightly sportier. However, it did not bring the smile to my face every time I drove it like the LR3 does.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I also put grip tape on the top of my sliders but discovered that when wearing shorts in the summer the tape really scrapes the back of my leg when getting out of the LR, but I don't slide off when using them as a step.

OregonGX

I also put grip tape on the top of my sliders but discovered that when wearing shorts in the summer the tape really scrapes the back of my leg when getting out of the LR, but I don't slide off when using them as a step.

Yep, grip tape should be on my door step from Amazon tonight. I wasn't about to pay the outrageous prices the local big box home improvement stores wanted for a roll (when I will likely replace it with some regularity as it gets worn and scuffed).

OregonGX

I just realized it had been a while and I never updated this thread.

After the sliders I got some good offroading in with the regional Land Rover club (https://www.pcrc.net/) sadly my last outing before COVID hit:
IMG_4695.jpg

Then it was time for more protection, utility and visibility, in the form of an ARB bumper, Warn winch and JW Speaker Driving lights. My choice of the ARB was driven by nostalgia for the vehicles I lusted after but couldn't afford earlier in life, the fit and finish of the ARB compared to other models, and the headlight protection. I spend so much time driving on roads with a massive amount of wildlife, headlight and grill protection was a non-negotiable item. The install was a bit of a beast, doing it for the first time without help, but I was also taking my time ensuring I would be happy with the finished product.
IMG_0730.jpg

R0011688.jpg
dsc_0477-jpg.591408

DSC_0481.jpg

From there, I added the Rhino-Rack Pioneer platform, mounted with their backbone system. What I appreciate about the system is that it removes all stock hardware in favor of robust steel mounting directly to the body of the truck. The channel system gives an incredible amount of utility - from bikes, to mattresses, roof top tents, tires, and myriad accessories it is just so easy to get things exactly how you want them:

DSC_0476.jpg

I've been enjoying the truck immensely, getting it dialed in exactly how I want it. Next up, recovering the failing a-pillars, some additional lighting on the rack, which I planned for in my wiring approach pictured below, and probably pulling and repainting the sliders (the stock terrafirma paint leaves a lot to be desired).

IMG_0807.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0477.jpg
    DSC_0477.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 288

Blaise

Were the driving lights just a visual thing? The OE lamps on my LR3 (esp once I swapped in LEDs in the dedicated high beam housing) hasn't left me wanting. If you haven't swapped the HID bulbs, there's a good chance that they're the originals - those fade as well!

I'm up in Seattle, let me know if you wanna wheel! Will be doing half of the WABDR (starting in OR) over July 4th.

OregonGX

Were the driving lights just a visual thing? The OE lamps on my LR3 (esp once I swapped in LEDs in the dedicated high beam housing) hasn't left me wanting. If you haven't swapped the HID bulbs, there's a good chance that they're the originals - those fade as well!

I'm up in Seattle, let me know if you wanna wheel! Will be doing half of the WABDR (starting in OR) over July 4th.

The OE lights are in fact fantastic. I will always take more light, I think aftermarket bumpers without lights look unfinished, and I do appreciate the reach of the JW along with the ability to run them amber in fog and snow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz