An Important Message - Be Wary Of Allowing People to Your House

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
An unfortunate incident for sure. I’ve been involved in the Overland industry in North America since 2001 and I have met a lot of people on the trail, at shows, and those who came to my shop over the years. Our community does not reflect the population of the US as we are primarily white males, however we do seem to be inclusive when it comes to including an array of people who are friendly, kind, helpful and informative. It also includes people who are ****************, thieves, liars, cheats, and low lives. So in many ways it does reflect our population. The only thing I think I can safely say is an Overlander will stop on the trail to check you are ok and if you need help.

Times have certainly changed in the Overland world for sure. Our first business events literally happened around campfires, on the trail/campsite or a small club event at someones house or a parking lot. Now, a 20,000 people per day OE event is the norm.
Back then I'd give a guy a piece of gear for being a stand-up guy on the trail or for the club raffle. Now, you have to comp hundreds of dollars of gear to participate at an event.
Back then you could leave your gear sitting on the tailgate of your rig and comeback tomorrow and it was still there (along with the empty beer cans your friends left while playing with your stuff) Now, even with roaming security at the events we've been ripped off hundreds of dollars of gear and some of the larger companies have lost bumpers, winches, light bars.....entire displays.....
It's defiantly (definitely) a new world.

Last edited:

1000arms

... It's defiantly a new world.
Interesting typo, especially considering how angry some people get when confronted regarding their poor behavior choices. :)

Speaking of typos (well, writing of), @HudsonZRoamer made an interesting one in the thread title (which has been corrected to "Wary").

I also get tired of $$#%#@&@$ jerks, and, in today's world, there are way too many of them.

I do appreciate the many Expedition Portal Forum members who are willing to offer advice and other help to forum members and to complete strangers. :)

Last edited:

1000arms

Don't pee into the wind?
I only pee in to the wind if I have been eating asparagus, and, even then, only at ninety degrees to the wind, to blow back on tailgaters. :)

It does add a whole new dimension to "riding shotgun"! :cool:

huntsonora

Explorer
I keep checking in here hoping the guy did the right thing. Guess that’s not happening. Frustrating to say the least and I don’t have a dog in the fight. Was just hoping common sense and decency would prevail. That seems to be in short supply these days

Update...Some good news..

The guy that ran into my garage ended up doing the right thing, thank goodness. I received a call from the garage door company out of the blue recently asking when they could schedule service, which was quite surprising. The guy ended up contacting the company directly and covered the cost of my garage door replacement. The garage door company came out and replaced the door and all is good in the universe, needless to say a serious lesson has been learned.

I was in the process of taking the guy to small claims court and had actually filled out some online paperwork to get the process going. I spoke with a few lawyers as well and they were willing to offer assistance, for a small fee of course. ;) So glad he stepped up and did the right thing.

I just wanted to update everyone on this thread and appreciate the positive feedback I received via this awesome community. Thanks to @Christian P. for unlocking the thread so I could give an update.

huntsonora

Explorer

The guy that ran into my garage ended up doing the right thing, thank goodness. I received a call from the garage door company out of the blue recently asking when they could schedule service, which was quite surprising. The guy ended up contacting the company directly and covered the cost of my garage door replacement. The garage door company came out and replaced the door and all is good in the universe, needless to say a serious lesson has been learned.

I was in the process of taking the guy to small claims court and had actually filled out some online paperwork to get the process going. I spoke with a few lawyers as well and they were willing to offer assistance, for a small fee of course. ;) So glad he stepped up and did the right thing.

I just wanted to update everyone on this thread and appreciate the positive feedback I received via this awesome community. Thanks to @Christian P. for unlocking the thread so I could give an update.

This made my day! Thanks for the update!

Kolockum

Adventure Nut

Excellent news. Good job on being persistent even though it can be quite stressful and draining. Glad you held him accountable for his actions and you may have just saved the next guy a bunch of trouble.

airjammer

Observer
Taking responsibility for ones actions -vs- shrugging it off and putting it on someone who offers a convenience.

This behavior/culture is being instilled into more and more of the population. Sad.

Integrity is a rare commodity and getting rarer still.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles