An expedition truck on portals...

Oilworker

Explorer
To my knowledge it´s all custom made.
That family really knows their business. Just have look what they did with the GP/WARN 8274....

WRR_8274_Center-Winch_53.jpg

WRR_8274_Center-Winch_54.jpg

It´s now a 3.5t+ center mounted winch....

burn_e

Adventurer
Nope! Somehow, sofar, everyone I met thought the truck was pretty cool.
You should see the faces when my wife drives the Defender into town :)

If everything works out with my work schedule for 2011, I will probably drive down to Bahrain and that could be a chance to meet in Dubai, wouldn´t it?
Sure, once you made your way all the way down here its just a tank filling further to drive. BTW don't be shocked - Diesel is more expensive then Petrol.

When is this Middle East trip planned? Let me know in time, so that I can plan a cool trip for you down here.

Maryland 110

Adventurer
Sure, once you made your way all the way down here its just a tank filling further to drive. BTW don't be shocked - Diesel is more expensive then Petrol.

When is this Middle East trip planned? Let me know in time, so that I can plan a cool trip for you down here.

Diesel is more than petrol in the states as well due to our road tax on fuel.

Robert just an idea but on marine applications, two hose clamps are used @ each end of a hose. looks like you have plenty of room and it would further eliminate the possibility of smelling diesel in the cabin.

Oilworker

Explorer
As my custom frame for the CB, HAM radio and sat phone still isn´t ready I, for the time being got myself this....
101111rk_PL04305_web800.jpg

It arrived yesterday and we installed it this afternoon. I was really amazed how well it fits the Defender, even though the installation manual is worthless...

101112rk_PL04318_web800s.jpg

101112rk_PL04320_web800s.jpg

At least now I can install my small CB until the missing connectors for my internal comms frame are made.

The only downside is the fact that on a TD4 you need to exchange the sun shields for the earlier one´s from the TDI or TD5.

So long,

Robert

Oilworker

Explorer
The CTIS is all installed, ecxcept for the control unit on the tray and the new valve-blocks that go into the centre of the rim.
I will post some images as soon as it´s really 100% finished, if you don´t mind?
As the valve-block is a completely new design we want to have the design safely protected before I post the images.

I just returned from some winter testing in the far north and we did a full inspection of the portals at Tibus´ place yesterday (they have now done nearly 33.000km) and strating on Monday I will concentrate on running all the wiring inside to connect everything.

So long,

Robert

94Discovery

Adventurer
The CTIS is all installed, ecxcept for the control unit on the tray and the new valve-blocks that go into the centre of the rim.
I will post some images as soon as it´s really 100% finished, if you don´t mind?
As the valve-block is a completely new design we want to have the design safely protected before I post the images.

I just returned from some winter testing in the far north and we did a full inspection of the portals at Tibus´ place yesterday (they have now done nearly 33.000km) and strating on Monday I will concentrate on running all the wiring inside to connect everything.

So long,

Robert
this is by far the best built i ever seen on the net cant wait for your pics thx

Oilworker

Explorer
Just as a teaser, or sneak preview, for what´s coming later this week....

Hutchinson_CTIS_web600.jpg

The valve blocks are ready to go and as soon as the new compressor arrives the whole system will be activated.

So long,

Robert

Oilworker

Explorer
Snow chaos in Germany...amazing how big the difference between the Norwegians and the Germans is when it come to winter and snow.

101210rk_PL04825_web800s.jpg

This morning it took me one hour to get passed these damn trucks and the highway was just perfectly driveable....well :smiley_drive:

Picked up my tyre inflation system and tested it at the manufacturers workshop....

101210rk_PL04831_web800s.jpg

....it´s capable of deflating 4 tyres from 5bar to 3bar in aprox. 20seconds :Wow1:
A maximum of 12 different settings can be pre-programmed, but I guess the standard settings "Road - Offroad - Sand" will do....

...and while programming my unit I had a look at a really nice dashboard...

101210rk_PL04839_web800es.jpg

Tomorrow I´ll start installing the new rotation unions and valve blocks and hopefully the compressor arrives before chirstmas....

Last edited:

Oilworker

Explorer
It really is, Viggen.

I will visit these guys again soon and will try to get more images of what they´ve done and build and are building for their Volvo TGB for next year´s Breslau Rallye.

Here a shot of my central tyre inflation system (CTIS)...

101211rk_PL04850_web800s.jpg

Images of the installation to the rim will follow later. The pressure control unit and the display will be installed sometime next week as I need to finish the template for the new tray setup first and am waiting for the dash board to arrive....

Oilworker

Explorer
It was a rather cold day at the workshop, where I am currently working, and I just managed to install the valve blocks and the provisional connectors to the rim valves.

101213rk_PL04899_cut800s.jpg

101213rk_PL04900_web800s.jpg

The heavy duty air hoses are run underneath the chassis to the tray, where I will place the compressor, air reservoir and control unit.

Any advice on a strong, affordable and not "Made in China" compressor to run the system is more than welcome.

So long,

Robert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles