An expedition truck on portals...

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Have you considered the Trail Ready HD17 wheels - they are race proven and do custom patterns all the time and can do up to 6 inch backspacing on a 17 inch x 8.5 inch rim with a outside beadlock ring. They are local to me as well if you needed any assistance making it happen.

http://secure.trbeadlocks.com/17x8-125-45hd17beadlockwheel.aspx

Several people are running these on Pinzgauers with portal axles boxes - so they should fit you setup.

file.php

Last edited:

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Frank,

currently I run the Cooper STT 315/75R16, which are great though they aren´t made for big milages :-(

The new winter tires are Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2 LT315/70R17 121/118 S as I am trying to go to 17" wheels.

These Nokians are finally available to the general customer since late 2015, as until then they where only sold to the military and I spend 3 years trying to get a set :-(

Robert

Hi Robert,
Welcome back and thank you for the kind reply.
Wow, did not know you were going up to 17" wheels, but it makes sense.
Wishing you good luck with the new wheels and tires. Very sorry to hear they are not being polite or responsive :(

Oilworker

Explorer
Good news ;-)
Method Race Wheels got back to me and are currently drilling the 17"x9" Trophy Truck wheels to my specs, allowing me to further use my tire inflation system (TPAS) without modifications!

My new full undeebody protection kit, the new 6mm aluminium kit made by RIVAL arrived, too.

Will fit it next week as I am back in the workshop to do some more maintenance work on the truck.

The new, 2-level, HD drawer system for my tray is also in the final drawing stages and will be custom manufactured shortly ;-)

Greetings from the road!

LRD130PUMA

Hi Robert,
Are the Method Race Wheels you've ordered the 101 series beadlocks? I noticed on the internet that they're for off road use only, are you planning to travel with a full set of extra wheels?
Nice kit that RIVAL underbody protection.
Post some pics when all is installed.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hi Robert,

Are Method drilling new blanks for you, or filling/drilling an off the shelf wheel for you?

Thanks for the info,
Jeremy

kotton

Came across this thread while searching for aftermarket portals for the g-class, and ended up reading all 102 pages from start to finish. Now im divorced living in a studio apartment, and my child who was a toddler when I started reading this is about to graduate high school.

It was still worth it.

Oilworker

Explorer
Love that and thanks ;-)
I am off for a weekend camping close to the Alps and will commence work next week!

IMG_6953.jpg

Last edited:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Came across this thread while searching for aftermarket portals for the g-class, and ended up reading all 102 pages from start to finish. Now im divorced living in a studio apartment, and my child who was a toddler when I started reading this is about to graduate high school.

It was still worth it.

Could be worse, this could have inspired you to build your own truck..then you would be living in your truck and your children would have disowned you a long time ago and tried to have you committed to an assylum saying that you had gone out of your freaking mind...wandering around mumbling about gearbox to axle and portal ratios, break over and approach angles, muttering things like 16.1 gigawatts and 18 inches of ground clearance .......and spent all of their inheritance...

Ferdinando

Hi Robert.W.Kranz,

i have seen your post , from your Defender, whar a machine.

well 1st i also have a mantec snorkel however i cannot fit it with a safetydevices rollcage, how did you fit them in your car?

hope you can help me,

best regards

Ferdinando

Oilworker

Explorer
Hi Robert.W.Kranz,

i have seen your post , from your Defender, whar a machine.

well 1st i also have a mantec snorkel however i cannot fit it with a safetydevices rollcage, how did you fit them in your car?

hope you can help me,

best regards

Ferdinando

Hi Ferdinando,

you can find the instructions here on page 34:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/37713-An-expedition-truck-on-portals/page34

20110614rk_PL06262_web800t.jpg

I modified my Mantec Snorkel with the Safari Intake...

Hope this helps?

Oilworker

Explorer
Having just returned from Levi, Finland, where I was working for the Porsche Driving Experience 2017, I am back home (still with a tiny makeshift office), but I found my login to this forum again...YEAH ;-)

20170104_RK_06903_web1600.jpg

If you don´t mind, here´s a little look back to what happened in 2016....

June 2nd, 2016
Big workday today on the LR130CC-R(hino)
Hell, swapping a twin motor winch on an ARB bumper, all alone, is a helluva job...looking forward to that beer now after I've cleaned up the workspace

Swapping Winchs 01.jpg

Swapping Winchs 02.jpg

Swapping Winchs 03.jpg

More on the Red Winches Hornet 2 can be found here:
http://www.red-winches.com/products/hornet2/4/

...and it´s available in the US, too, if you´re interested in the pretty awesome products developed and build by Neal and his team.
Just visit www.redwinchesusa.com or our friends at www.lucky8llc.com

More later....

Last edited:

Oilworker

Explorer
After swapping twin-motor winches I got back on my tray setup.

I was´t happy with the old Frontrunner Tray and had been sourcing for an alternative the first 6 months of 2016.
I did find find a great solution, but being custom made, it proved rather pricy :-(

My friend Daniel luckily declined buying my old Frontrunner tray, so I went for a low budget alternative, based on what I had and booked myself in at CCF (close to my place) where I had access to a full carpenter´s shop too

20160614_CCF_Rhino Workover_01.jpg

20160614_CCF_Rhino Workover_03.jpg

I cleaned and properly greased my old Frontrunner tray and modified it to accommodate 4 standard Zarges Boxes with proper tie-down latches.
This was very important for me as I really learned to hate the original boxes and the lack of "quality"

20160614_CCF_Rhino Workover_04.jpg

20160614_CCF_Rhino Workover_05.jpg

I also used the time to install the new RIVAL underbody protection kit....

20160614_CCF_Rhino Workover_06.jpg

20160614_CCF_Rhino Workover_08.jpg

Since then, it´s been through it´s paces and sofar has proven worth it´s money!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles