An expedition truck on portals...

deslandes

Observer
Here I am!

...and this is how my axles looked like, 6000km after crashing through the wall...
12-photo-66_web1000.jpg

Hi Robert !

Ooouuttchhh.... Due to accident ? What did you hurt?
What is your opinion on Portals after all thos really hard use...?
You are really a fine tester anyway..
Thanks for sharing all your fantastic travel and pictures !

Stephane

Oilworker

Explorer
So! Back from a little road trip.

Stephane, the axles bend after a crash and then a jump off the road when I fell asleep and went through a ditch at full speed ....
The portals are still doing fine and survived it all until now.

I am planning a few upgrade to the kit and the axles for the coming months, though.

The first package of the new head-lights have arrived: the LED daytime driving lights :)

Images and details tomorrow....

Last edited:

Oilworker

Explorer
Good morning, wherever you may be ;-)

After sleeping for 16 hours here´s the first new product which will be fitted to the car next week when the other lights and hopefully my stainless steel mounting rings have arrived, too.

20130112_RK_00819_web1200t.jpg

This is a LED daytime driving light kit which was developed by Nolden Cars & Concept about 2 years ago but somehow never really made it into the market.
As I heard that one mayor german dealer got a test kit and said they were absolutely ugly after he´d installed it.

I really don´t understand why, except for the slight change of the facial expression of the Defender.

The kit comes with a metal template which you should use to make the cut-outs into the lower wing and the mask, all wiring, etc.
First impression is pretty good especially because the instruction uses a lot of images to show all steps of the installation.

....more to come soon. All I need now is some time to spend in the workshop

Oilworker

Explorer
What did you guess, Timo?

What until you see the new 7" headlights. Those are pretty nice (for LEDs)

Last weekend I also finally started siping my tyres.
It was pretty tough to find someone who has a siping tool and it took a while until I got it right.

20130107_RK_00768_web1200t.jpg

The rear is almost done, but I had to stop as they where closing the shop.

Timo K

Observer
Nolden LED's. I've been eyeing them for a while now. They have definitely done poor marketing, since if you mention 7" LED headlights, everyone automatically thinks Truck-Lite and JW Speaker. Can't wait to see how you like them, since I've been tossing between the idea of JW Speakers or the Noldens myself.

Oilworker

Explorer
Finally I sourced my new intercooler today, too.
Had the chance to speak with a few guys who already have it and have installed it, too.
It´s fairly new on the market but seems very promising, after a friend had 3 broken welds in his intercooler and I found 2 cracked welds in mine last week, too.

Chiptech_Ladeluftkuehler_web1200.jpg

So long,

Robert

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Let me know how you like the 7" lights Robert. I am currently testing the new Trucklite version in our 110 and the beam pattern is much better than the last gen.
Also I'm curious if you looked at the inflatable bead locks before choosing the hutchinsons? They have limitations but they are very light which is nice.
Cheers
Ray

Oilworker

Explorer
Hi Ray,

shall we find a similar setting to photograph our lights then?
With the same camera settings, too? This would help compare them better.

I know the Staun inflatable headlocks but I am no friend of drilling holes into wheels.
I have also read of people where the valve stem sheered off while driving .

The mechanical solution of the Hutchinsons is fail-proof and after having the wheels in the lathe a tyre change is done as quick as on a truck.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Robert,

I just wanted to say I've read your thread a few times and hands down, I think it's the best thread on ExPo.

Thanks for the escapes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles