An expedition truck on portals...

Oilworker

Explorer
The wheels are Hutchinson double beadlock as used on the military versions of the Mercedes G.
The price ain´t to bad, and you just order them, install them yourself and off you go. Ain´t that much work and just requires welding the rear support brackets.

I let Wolfgang Tibus get to work on the the other Defenders for now and go back to sketching the remaining stuff, like the utility rack for the tray and the changes that I want to make to the Safety Devices Full External roll cage.

More photos are to come, for sure :)

Oilworker

Explorer
Congrats, that's awesome. Any noise from the straight cut gears?

I probably just missed it, but is that a 110 or 130?

They sound like straight cut gears have to sound....maybe I can shoot a smal video someday....but it´s great. I can´t wait to get this Rhino into the mud....

Oh, and it´s a 130CC TD4....
3834708.jpg

..and some underbody shots...
3831032.jpg

3831033.jpg

3831594.jpg

3831595.jpg

Last edited:

Allroader

Observer
Hi,
Haven't read all Post. But if you are driving the north route, you are more then welcome to stop by our place in sweden.
We are in middle Sweden at the baltic sea, just PM me

Mike

revor

Explorer
Watch these guys Robert!!!!!:Wow1:

I think they're conspiring to steal your axles..

They'll feed you lots Schnapps and Akvavit! When you are out they will swap your axles.:peepwall::friday:
You will wake up in the morning with a hangover and not notice a difference untill you leave the Scandinavian Peninsula!:coffee:
By then the culprits will have scurried away on a Longboat bound for Iceland and eventually Greenland!
Your Axles!?!?!?! Destined to live their life with agro tires and glaciers.. Alas... No mud...

I should write books!

No offense to anyone by the way

Oilworker

Explorer
Thanx,

and you know what? The Rhino just drove 127km/h (140km/h on display), which is when the programming stops any further racing :-(

There´s no sound from the gearing and it is just, how do you call it with a car?, love???? :wings::wings:

Red90

Adventurer
Out of curisosity, I thought getting modified vehicles on the road in Germany was next to impossible. How are you managing the government???

cgalpin

Observer
I love it and often wonder why we don't see portals more often.

So did I miss it, or has anyone answered the million dollar question of what these would cost for a mere mortal in the US?

Oilworker

Explorer
As was just posted on Pirate4x4:

In an email from Killer Axles:

We also sell "bolt on portals" for different kind of axles like Rover, Jeep and Dana axles.
The price for a set of 4 portals including disc brakes is 6750 Euro.

Not sure if that included shipping or not.
That currently works out to US$9144.92

The price for the set of 4 portal boxes incl. disc. brakes for the Land
Rover is 6.950 Euro.

We can drop the price to 6000 Euro if you by the brake parts and the
wheel bearing hub in your local auto parts store.
The wheel bearings are Hummer H2 front, the brake rotors are Hummer H2
rear and the brake rotors are Chevy Pick up.

I guess this is the quote for the US market, so check with Wolfgang Tibus for your quote.
Looking forward to some more trucks in the long-leg Rhino Club :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles