An expedition truck on portals...

Oilworker

Explorer
Work is continuing.....

I am slowly getting there...driver side is finished and my fingers really hurt from trying to reach these damn screws of the wing....

110106rk_PL05231_web800.jpg

...I guess it´ll be worse on the passenger side, too

This would the standard setup that Safety Devices is now offering for the 130CC....

110106rk_PL05237_web800.jpg

We decided to leave the rear tubing unfinished as I want to change it and have the upper tube follow the line of the final rear tray setup.

We´ll see. I am off again to work on the passanger side...

Robert

DividingCreek

Explorer
SD cages are such a treat to install. Do you still have to cut large rectangular holes in the body work for the mating flange to poke up through on the new cages ?

Oilworker

Explorer
Yepp, but if you´ve done it before it´s pretty straight forward and everything aligns just fine. Didn´t expect that, but then my last own cage was bought about 4 or 5 years ago

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
Robert looking good as expected! :)

Do I spy a FJ cab in the background, up in the rafters? What are you guys gonna build that into. :drool:

Cheers,

Mike and Myles

Oilworker

Explorer
Well spotted, Mike.

I somehow managed to finish the passenger side without breaking all my fingers...

110106rk_PL05242_web800.jpg

110106rk_PL05243_web800.jpg

I had to relocate in the workshop now because another Toyo needed my spot. They need to fit the new engine tonight.

I am getting to the end and sofar it took 8 hours, which ain´t too bad.

110106rk_PL05249_web800.jpg

Tomorrow I will do the tray and run wiring for the compressor and air tanks, work on the drawer system and the roof-tent rack.

Still a long way to go until we roll onto the ferry next week.

So long,

Robert

Oilworker

Explorer
Done..enough for today...

110106rk_PL05252_web800.jpg

Cage is completed for now and tomorrow it´s the tray setup (provisional).

So long & good night.

Robert

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
I have a few questions if you don't mind?

Does your truck have ABS or traction control?

If so do the portals and the height difference cause any issues for those items?

Maybe it was mentioned and I missed it, but what is the fluid capacity of each portal box?

Last edited:

Oilworker

Explorer
Hi Trev, sure you may.

I havn´t got ABS or Traction Control as the Defender 130 comes without those gadgets.
The drop boxes have the ABS Sensors and can be run with ABS.
I am going to use these sensors for my Tripmaster, though.

My understandig is that the ABS will work fine in combination with the lift.
Something we´ll know/find out when the first sets of the "small" drop boxes are installed in a few weeks, as at least one 110SW Puma is getting them and this one has ABS and ETC.

So long & greetings from the road.

Robert

Oilworker

Explorer
Slowly making some progress....

110110rk_PL05278_web800.jpg

By chance I found some DiBond sheets in the workshop and used them for the back....
110110rk_PL05279_web800.jpg

...I guess I have to do it a bit nicer next time....
110110rk_PL05280_web800.jpg

..the tray is coming together, too. Drawer system optimized and now installing the compressor and air reservoir (40L)
110110rk_PL05275_web800.jpg

So long,

Robert

istanbuldefender

Dear Oilworker.,

Hi fm istanbul ., I admire your axle portals , good job but I wonder performance during high speed cruise at autobahn. Forinstance how is the wind or 16 wheel lorries affect on vehicle over 100 kms/ph.

Thanks .,
Erhan

Oilworker

Explorer
Well, Erhan,

no problems. 137km/h as top speed sofar (GPS) and no bigger vulnerability to wind or "trucks"....
Regular cruising speed 100-110km/h.

Sadly cancelled our Tunisia Expedition....looking for alternative at the moment..

istanbuldefender

Ohhhhh ok thanks for response.

and I seriously recommend my country Turkey as an alternative itinerary to you . Especially Cappadocia territory , i mean central anotolia through to Syria border , further on Jordan to Egypt might be an attractive choice for you .

Beside this I am very interested to deal your axle portals to thousands of Defender owners herein Turkey, so we may have an occasion to meet and exchange our comments about this matter.

Thanks
Erhan

Oilworker

Explorer
Some images from last Friday...

1101134k_PL05349_cut800s.jpg

1101134k_PL05350_cut800s.jpg

110113k_PL05352_cut800s.jpg

The missing Lightforce 140 is in place (I had forgotten the bracket) and the rear is now going into production.

More images later, as I have to help a friend fighting the water that the swollen river is bringing....

Oilworker

Explorer
Just been checking our boat house...

110117k_PL05411_web800.jpg

110117k_PL05414_web800.jpg

...we´d cleared the lower level yesterday...

110117k_PL05415_web800.jpg

...luckily the race boats are upstairs and far away still from the water...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles