An Axe - Seriously?

Douglas

Observer
I usually carry an axe on most excursions, and sometimes throw in a chainsaw on the road up to my property in the mountains. Last weekend:

5711770057_34726f3fa2_z.jpg

3.5 to 4' in diameter where it needed to be cut, and under load. Being solo, I said "no thanks" and turned around.

Not to far up the road, a pic from a few years back...

38058792_c7beb04431_z.jpg

We grow trees big here. ;)

bribassguy

Observer
The Gransfors looked really cool until I saw the prices. Now my lust has cooled significantly :elkgrin:

You should also look at the S.A.W Wetterlings or the Husqvarna (made by Wetterlings or Hutafors Bruk) axes.

I read some where that the owner of Gransfors bought out Wetterling, and also a principle in Hults Bruk... Either way you can't go wrong with good steel in a cutting tool.

5Runner

Adventurer
I read this thread a month or so ago and thought to myself..."how often do people 'really' come to a tree across the trail?" I've wheeled quite a bit over the last three years and have never come to one. I do have an axe, but I use it for splitting wood at the camp.

Then...I was leading the pack on a trail a few weekends ago and came to this:
IMG_20110501_140623.jpg

There were some rocks stacked that looked like ATV's or maybe Jeeps went over, but they were close together. Luckily no one blazed the forest off trail since the tree was big and went exactly perpendicular to the trail. The other side of the wall was a road cut and there was no going that way.

So...for the first time I got to use the trusty axe to clear the way. Then I got to play with the winch and a few snatch blocks as we pulled the lower trunk and root ball over the side and out of the way.

It took about an hour and a half out of the day, but was an experience none-the-less. The day got more interesting after that with a busted CV in a 4runner and the bottom ball joint thing?? in an 80 series front wheel/steering assembly. We got all the rigs "fixed" on the trail and drove out together. Extra parts, tools and good people...that's how you do it.

Spikepretorius

Explorer
I carry an axe but never use it.
On a SAR training thing a few years ago we came upon a tree across the trail but chopping it looked like too much work so we just made a plan to get over it. Then we cam across another and another. There were prolly 4 or 5 before we decided to turn around and try a different route.
Heading the other way is just so much easier than chopping a tree.
Having an axe is all well and good but you need some cheap labour to swing it for you :costumed-smiley-007

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Estwing

Get the Estwing long handled Campers Axe. It works great for splitting and chopping. I would imagine as easy as it is to wield it would work for zombies.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Because an ax is just dead sexy to carry...:sombrero:

pPicked up an S.A.W a week ago at a flea market for 2 bucks....resharpen and a new handle..nice axe

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I carry an axe but never use it.
On a SAR training thing a few years ago we came upon a tree across the trail but chopping it looked like too much work so we just made a plan to get over it. Then we cam across another and another. There were prolly 4 or 5 before we decided to turn around and try a different route.
Heading the other way is just so much easier than chopping a tree.
Having an axe is all well and good but you need some cheap labour to swing it for you :costumed-smiley-007

I agree that an alternate route is a good choice. I would also offer that when gas is getting low the straight path may be the only choice, so chopping a tree might be inevitable. Of course, too much "what if" gear can lead to burning too much gas too! :elkgrin:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I agree that an alternate route is a good choice. I would also offer that when gas is getting low the straight path may be the only choice, so chopping a tree might be inevitable. Of course, too much "what if" gear can lead to burning too much gas too! :elkgrin:

Meh... nothing well-placed explosives couldn't take care of.

jim65wagon

This past trip we took to PA, I left the axe thinking "Ah, my brother inlaw will have his" ( of course he thought the same about his brother in law. So here we are with plenty of firewood and no good way to make kindling......

Yep the axe goes with me next time! Unless I can scab some good explosives from a friend....that should make plenty of kindling...

BigAl

Expedition Leader
This past trip we took to PA, I left the axe thinking "Ah, my brother inlaw will have his" ( of course he thought the same about his brother in law. So here we are with plenty of firewood and no good way to make kindling......

Yep the axe goes with me next time! Unless I can scab some good explosives from a friend....that should make plenty of kindling...

You didn't ask for explosives, you need to be more clear:sombrero:

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
And, you must admit, a pile of explosives on the roof next to the Hi-Lift would take your cool factor to a new level.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I think this thread started out in Fireside chat, then was moved to "Recovery " section.... proving, once again, that an axe is a worthy TOOL, not just fer' purty...

Just sayin' :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke