An Axe - Seriously?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I agree with the last few posts, an axe is nice to have, but I get a lot more use out of the hatchet for firewood and I carry a 50cc chainsaw for everything else. Live by the old adage, work smarter, not harder.

downhill

Adventurer
I carry a Collins "boy's axe", that I bought used 40 years ago. I might have paid $10 for it?? Back then Collins made very good axes. It has had a number of handles, nothing fancy, just a nice size for most things I want to tackle with an axe.

thor80

yes, there are always better/easier tools but I don't always bring a chainsaw, plus a splitting maul is kind of specialized, rather have an axe. In years of off roading and camping I've used mine quite a bit.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
I carry an old fireman's flathead axe. Works fine for splitting and is better at chopping than a splitting maul.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
honestly dont know its weight... guess i could check? I do know I hand weighed it against 2 splitting mauls in my garage and it was lighter.. I think one was a 6 and one was 8... though I guess I could have an 8 and a 12?? great..now I need to go check that.... (I know I dont use the heavy maul anymore...it was more fun in my younger years)

>edit< so I took a scale out, the axe is 6#, my light maul is 10# and my heavy is 12# ... no wonder I think my axe is a one hander lol

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
A good friend of mine bought me a Gransfors Bruk axe as a gift. Honestly I wouldn’t spend that kind of money on myself , but DAMN that is a nice axe. It has a permanent spot mounted inside my Jeep now and has been used countless times at this point. By the way this is the best thread ever of all time on any forum. Next...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trecash6850

I carry a fire axe and hatchet in my series and a Max tool and chainsaw in the LR3.
fa4e076e901b87aa3b60bce1318ea827.jpg
edde25e10a25bf6d7bdf10a915c63bcd.jpg
59d2fd3c9cd147b1d3e101962a3bd364.jpg
7da597e1f6279e5b265a354d9c3d3854.jpg
fb70af5fc25f6df123b5884fc30dcf02.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

rnArmy

Adventurer
You never know when one might come in handy. And until then, it is just out-of-the-way.trailer mod.8.jpg

Last edited:

RacerAV

id never mount mine INSIDE the vehicle though... dangerous, no??? I dont like big heavy metal pieces flying at my head...

steelhd

Observer
A bow saw for clearing trails and light wood cutting plus a small camp axe in my "walk home" bag has always done the trick. Never once thought it would have been nice to have a felling or splitting axe. The bow saws behind my truck seat and mounted to the tub of my Jeep dont look as hardcore as a mounted axe though. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles