An Axe - Seriously?

andrew61987

Observer
I find the least effort way of breaking up long ~4" diameter logs I gathered into good firewood sizes is to saw about half way through with the bow saw then give one good whack with an axe to break it in two. When I get off work at sea level and just drove up to 8500 ft and immediately started gathering wood I want to take the fewest saw strokes and axe swings possible.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
20" downed trees? Since the early '70's I have encountered one that size exactly once; drove over it then winched it out of the way for the next vehicle...If I saw even one, once per decade; I might carry a chainsaw regularly.
What roof rack (would likely get torn off by low hanging branches)...
I post what works for me and could care less about political correctness...limited space for gear transport means gear selectivity, if it works and it will likely be needed, it goes along, if not it doesn't; nothing more.
Tried machete's (have a couple Galivans) a good one is a great tool for soft spongy plants and can work well for manual brush clearing (but they don't make my likely need list for carry gear (occasionally a chainsaw does but not usually for weekend wheeling and camping).
********************** is a man bun? (googled it; shakes head) ... looks impractical with a wide brimmed hat (might work beneath a tall domed hat but would look at least a bit odd, IMO)... Had a beard for awhile until it got grey.
I find the least effort way of breaking up long ~4" diameter logs I gathered into good firewood sizes is to saw about half way through with the bow saw then give one good whack with an axe to break it in two. When I get off work at sea level and just drove up to 8500 ft and immediately started gathering wood I want to take the fewest saw strokes and axe swings possible.
Yep! that works... And no need to split wood that size.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Someone please list any expedition and/or tactical reasons for a man bun. I can't find any.

Man buns are thick and tight. You might have your best luck with a slicing action with a machete to remove one. An ax wouldn't do much good. A silky would get caught in the hair. And a chainsaw, well, that may work if one is looking for scalps to collect.

zoom17

Zoom
I have a short axe and it's one of my most used items. I may be fortunate to camp where I generally have a lot of downed branches in the 4 inch diameter. I can generally cut through that in 3-4 swings. Not to mention how often I use it as an implement to "hammer". My axe does not need to be carried outside the vehicle. For bigger things I have a saw. I also carry a small splitting maul. Damn, shouldn't have brought up my maul.

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
jealous of a man bun :) hahahahahahahahahahahahah

sure the man bun goes great with your kilt you have somewhere in your closet
reckon most man bun folks have a lot in their closet though :)

beard ?
posing ?
I never mentioned those a bit self conscious are ya :)

BUT hey I think we were all excited when we finally hit the age we could grow a bit of facial hair and pose to be a man ! congrats on graduating puberty !

Hey now Honu, the beard and posing were a comment by another but I just couldn't figure out how to multi quote.

Kilts have to be just about the most manly things I can imagine actually, plenty of room for the boys to breath. You put a lot of smileys in all your comments, so many in fact I'll just disregard the other comments you made :)

Cheers

And buns? Very useful. A pal of mine made a bad cast while fishing once and the hook stuck me right on the back of my noggin. Just got caught in my hair and I tugged it out with ease... had I not had so much thick hair it most certainly would've gotten stuck in my scalp, and well, thats just no fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anak

Stranger
Saws are even better than axes:

20170315101158-18280edc-la.jpg

Clearing trees off the trail is an annual Adopt-A-Trail event.

Anak

Stranger
Chainsaws are forbidden in many forests. Touchy feeley environmental or more sensible firehazard reasons. Go figure.

Where those guys are sawing is fairly safe. But probably amateurs. Usual practice is remove bark thus potential dirt or contaminate where sawing will be. Saws are fun to sharpen & tune up. Get it right, Its a treat to use until some twat drags it across a stone or dirt.

Btw, saws like that always cut on the first pull. Many chainsaws wont.

You nailed it. Special training and certification required if we want to use a chainsaw to keep these trails open.

I haven't managed to find a barking spud yet. Tried it with an axe on another, similar, tree and wasn't convinced it was going to be a worthwhile endeavor, particularly on the undersides.

The point about cutting on the first pull is a valid one. I have a pair of Husqvarnas that would, at first thought, seem to be the perfect tools for the job, however, I know they are tuned for sea level and these trails are in the 5000' range. Given that my own lungs aren't tuned for that altitude I expect the chainsaws would run poorly like I do. As it stands I get some good exercise.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Special training and certification required if we want to use a chainsaw to keep these trails open.
There are quite a few pretty decent cordless electric chainsaws on the market now, from Ryobi on the low end to Stihl on the high end. I have a couple of 18V Ryobis that I use for yard trimming, and they are OK. I still use Echo gas for bigger jobs, but I think Echo has a 58V cordless unit on the market now. Would you need special certification to use cordless tools?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94