An Axe - Seriously?

krax

Adventurer
got a big silky katana saw a bit ago the thing is amazing better than any bow saw I have ever had or used :)

The 500 or the 650? I want the 650, but the 500 is easier to find and a lot cheaper. I just need someone with the 650 to nudge me over to their side.

krax

Adventurer
A bow saw is great for cutting sticks.

An axe will cut sticks, peel logs, drive tent spikes, cut winch cable, split animal carcasses, split firewood, split kindling, work as a makeshift anvil, and as much other stuff as you can think of.

No doubt an axe is a versatile tool, no doubt (I hadn't even considered the makeshift anvil; thanks for the tip). I just think axes and machetes get used by some folks for too many things because it feels manly, or expo, or something.

Honu

lost on the mainland
just the 500 the 650 was impossible to locate for me at the time :) a 650 would be nice but happy with the 500

mine was $160 noticed now they are like $140 for the 500 :) seems the 650 are almost twice the price ?
reading some tree trimmer forums I really want one of their choppers now to

I use it around the house also to trim are palms and the thing is freaking insane fast and makes me want to get one of there pole saws for the tall palms here
largest stuff I cut was in the 6-8 inch size and for the price I am not sure I am going to come across anything that the 650 will be better at and would rather use that extra $ for a chopper of theirs :)

the Nata is a first buy but after reading a few posts on the ono that thing also seems kinda fun :)

The 500 or the 650? I want the 650, but the 500 is easier to find and a lot cheaper. I just need someone with the 650 to nudge me over to their side.

dumprat

Adventurer
No doubt an axe is a versatile tool, no doubt (I hadn't even considered the makeshift anvil; thanks for the tip). I just think axes and machetes get used by some folks for too many things because it feels manly, or expo, or something.

Honestly the term "Expo" and the use of a bow saw brings up images of some lisps twit with a man bun, an ironic beard and a roof top tent posing in front of Starbucks.

krax

Adventurer
If I'm reading that right, using a bow saw makes you a hipster/poser with a man bun. You've got a pretty narrow view of the world if that's the case.

dumprat

Adventurer
If I'm reading that right, using a bow saw makes you a hipster/poser with a man bun. You've got a pretty narrow view of the world if that's the case.

Not a narrow view at all, but alas I do get very tired of fear mongering and the new politically correct approach to the world, camping and the outdoors in general. People are fed so much misinformation and advertising.

And if you want to try and cut through a 20" blown down swamp spruce with a bow saw giver. But ya ain't gonna get it done.

Honu

lost on the mainland
man buns are silly :)
reckon they should be cut off ! but what with a bow saw a chain saw a machete or a axe ? which would work best :)

best tools are location specific IMHO:)
and what you like to play with :)

live in Honduras like I used to and you will see the machete is the #1 tool
a 4 inch poky snag waiting at grill level I can jump out with a silky and be back in quicker than a chainsaw :)
in the NW or Canada yeah a 20 inch tree down give me a chainsaw

the axe :) well I like em they are cool and fun and so versatile
here in AZ silky and a camp axe is perfect
I reckon in the NW a chainsaw and axe is great
tropics a silky and a machete

OH and forests here ban chainsaws at certain times of the year ?

again location specific IMHO

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
man buns are silly :)
reckon they should be cut off ! but what with a bow saw a chain saw a machete or a axe ? which would work best :)

You guys are just jealous cause you all went bald 20 something years ago. I rock that man bun and "ironic beard" and am certainly no poser.

jerdog53

Explorer
To be really expo, you have to find a way to bolt the bow saw to your roof rack.

Like this?

DSC07603_zps7qh7y45b.jpg

Honu

lost on the mainland
You guys are just jealous cause you all went bald 20 something years ago. I rock that man bun and "ironic beard" and am certainly no poser.

jealous of a man bun :) hahahahahahahahahahahahah

sure the man bun goes great with your kilt you have somewhere in your closet
reckon most man bun folks have a lot in their closet though :)

beard ?
posing ?
I never mentioned those a bit self conscious are ya :)

BUT hey I think we were all excited when we finally hit the age we could grow a bit of facial hair and pose to be a man ! congrats on graduating puberty !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles