An Axe - Seriously?

fog cutter

Adventurer
..... put pride in what we can do ourselves. Passing on values (and) bringing up the standards of the people around us. Some people get it, others, there is no hope for. ...

this is my exact reason for walking rather than using an ATV.

will the circle be unbroken?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
why do you need earmuffs with and axe?

To lessen the intensity of your screams after you chop off your own foot?
art_489axe.jpg

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I got a good scratch from when i dropped a chainsaw on my leg at 14. Only 12 stiches but it still itches when its gonna rain.

Retired Tanker

Explorer
Every Tool Has a Purpose

I mean, you know...just in case the duration of your trip is longer than your supply of pre-mix for the chainsaw...

Note he even makes the handles for his tools rather than pack them in...

jerdog53

Explorer
Picked up a Wetterlings Bushman ax the Les Stroud model a year ago after much research into the subject and many hours spent on you tube.

DSC04517_zpse5krpwv8.jpg

I wanted something small enough it could be carried in or on a pack, big enough it could be used to fell trees if need be but not too big it could not be used for personal defense. I can care less who designed it really but it had all the attributes I was looking for size and weight and price. Have used it a few times this last summer and fondle it a lot.... I find it aesthetically pleasing, and very much like the way it feels in my hands like any tool should! The wood grain is rather straight not perfect but good, the fit and finish is proper, it is sharp as hell, no I didn't cut myself with it. The sheath fits well and will not accidentally come off.

DSC04515_zpspo8ohyfi.jpg

There are those that will say "you spent that one one of those " My big box stores had nothing with soul so I went on line and started doing research and found some that were interesting like the BasecampX units and the Best Made axes but felt there really wasn't anything special about their axes and for the price. Speaking of price the stuff Gransfors Bruks makes is lovely, very fine craftsmanship but I think you are paying for the name with them. I have a felling ax already along with a couple hatches and a double headed bit that were my grandfathers and are rarely use but I think this Wetterlings ax will be used exclusively in the field.

my 2 cents...

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Fashion or not I have used my axe(s) to remove trees across the road, trim large low branches that I could not drive under as well as to prepare firewood. I don't care if someone uses disposable income to buy something that is pretty as well as pretty well made.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
The first time I drove Idaho's Magruder Corridor I brought a chainsaw. This is a long, lonely route, with NO workarounds or detours. The Forest Service warns travellers of the possibility/likelihood of trees across the road.

BUT...a chainsaw is a single-purpose tool, takes up a lot of room, is expensive, requires gas & oil, requires frequent maintenance, requires significant safety apparel, and is subject to failure for a variety of reasons.

The humble axe is a multi-purpose tool, takes up little room, is inexpensive, requires no consumables and very little maintenance, and is ultra reliable.

On subsequent trips I've left the chainsaw at home in favor of the axe. Yes, it's more work to clear the trail, but this task is very seldom necessary. Heck, even with the chainsaw I'd still want an axe or at least a hatchet for chopping kindling and splitting firewood.

kwill

Observer
I find a good bow saw superior to an axe in almost every way-lighter, cheaper, more efficient. I couple it with a short machete for quickly chopping out small limbs or underbrush. This combo does NOT meet the qualifications for being a hipster/lumbersexual, however. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles