An ARB Air Locker Is Born

ARB_USA

Supporting Sponsor
Ever wondered how a genuine ARB Air Locker is manufactured? Wonder no more as we take you for a ride during the ARB Air Locker manufacturing process starting with the cast to the final testing and boxing all done in our factory in Australia.

To learn more about ARB Air Lockers, please visit www.arbusa.com/airlocker

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I was talking to my local guy about regearing the 02 E350 with Dana 60's to 4:56. Him and everybody at the sand and off road show are pushing the Yukon stuff claiming they have a collateral damage warranty. I guess they can double dip when the Yukon breaks. People are not going to argue with the seller/installer unless they show up with the parts in hand like I'd like to do. Can I get a deal with a compressor to make all that haggling with my seller/installer worth it? Your in a tuff market right now against an American company and I know you want ARB stickers on my awesome American van as its filling up tires at Glamis with your compressor that's next to your fridge. Seriously I know your stuff is better and I'd prefer it but as a buyer it's tuff right now against your competition. PM Me a deal with big stickers, compressor and I'll even chuck my Italian Fiamma awning for yours if you think it will help. Thousands will see it off Gecko rd or at Dumont every other weekend all winter long and they can use your air. How about it?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Price-schmice. First company that makes a selectable locker for the GM 7-5/8" rear-end gets my cash. C'mon ARB!

RandyP

Adventurer
Awesome video. I have two Dana 60 ARB Air Lockers. Now if I could just keep the rear 5.38 reverse cut ring and pinion from failing, I'd feel much better.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I have been sold on ARB for more than 25 years (my first D30 ARB is in its 4th, or 5th, vehicle).
Yes, its too small an axle but the locker has never failed; even after the tire diameter changed/evolved from 31 through 35 inches over the years.
I have 2 of the old style (3 piece case) ARB, D44, air lockers on the shelf waiting for the next axle change (& eliminate the rear Detroit locker; a big improvement in the snow/slippery).
I don't understand folks that intentionally use a ring gear smaller than a, old style D44 (8.5") on a light weight vehicle, without planning to change it; but everyone is different.
Trying to use a revers cut ring gear in the rear will probably be up to 33% weaker than using it in the front. Although we have done a couple of reverse cut custom 60s (Currie rock jock center section) in the back of light weight low torque rock buggies with 40 inch tires...I always kept my fingers crossed.
Enjoy!

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I don't understand folks that intentionally use a ring gear smaller than a, old style D44 (8.5") on a light weight vehicle, without planning to change it; but everyone is different.

Us Astro guys have no middle ground. The factory axle is on the 7-5/8" system, but is unique to the vans because the drivetrain is offset significantly to the right side. There is no matching width axle of a heavier duty that we know of. We either work with that package, or we go FULL custom - custom axles, custom housing, everything. Given the relatively light weight of our vans, most of us opt to run the light-duty stuff and just be careful, since the next step is a doozy, price-wise. It would be awesome of we had a single choice of selectabe locker...

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I understand some folks not wanting to mess with custom axles.
My first inclination would be to compare the track of the old Wagoneers...
What's the track width of the Astrovan rear? A Quick google netted no info.
Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior