Ammo can idea thread

jgaz

Adventurer
I should probably wait until they announce or it comes out some other way rather than me announcing them. Probably can post something when they show the prototypes at the event the first week of August.

Can you update us which vendor was showing the ammo box trays last week at the Mile High event in CO?
Thank you!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Can you update us which vendor was showing the ammo box trays last week at the Mile High event in CO?
Thank you!

Here's a few photos of their booth; they borrowed my Jeep and put magnetic logo signs on the doors :).

Booth2_zpsegvhekyg.jpg

Booth1_zpsypbkzhat.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Holy God what type of roof is on that Jeep?

Again....who makes that roof?

I made it, it's home-made. I never liked the Jeep factory hardtops, so I designed this one with the features and styling I thought a proper Jeep hardtop should have, made molds, and molded it in fiberglass in my home garage. It's modular, so the side panels are removable; there are both hard sides and soft sides. It's also got a full rear "barn door" for easy access to the cargo area, and it's designed to carry heavy weights on the roof rack, like a roof-top tent.

SafariCab3.jpg

SafariRTTLong1.jpg

After I finished building it, Gr8Tops licensed the design from me (www.gr8tops.com), and they now sell versions of it for the TJ and LJ, although their version doesn't include many of the features I built into mine, like the swappable hard/soft sides.

quino171

I made it, it's home-made. I never liked the Jeep factory hardtops, so I designed this one with the features and styling I thought a proper Jeep hardtop should have, made molds, and molded it in fiberglass in my home garage. It's modular, so the side panels are removable; there are both hard sides and soft sides. It's also got a full rear "barn door" for easy access to the cargo area, and it's designed to carry heavy weights on the roof rack, like a roof-top tent.

SafariCab3.jpg

SafariRTTLong1.jpg

After I finished building it, Gr8Tops licensed the design from me (www.gr8tops.com), and they now sell versions of it for the TJ and LJ, although their version doesn't include many of the features I built into mine, like the swappable hard/soft sides.
So.....talk to me about YOUR tops......what are the major differences to add your components to gr8tops version

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
So.....talk to me about YOUR tops......what are the major differences to add your components to gr8tops version

The Gr8Tops Safari Cab molds were made from the same mold masters that my Safari Cab molds were made from and even though Gr8Tops made a few changes to some of the fiberglass parts, the Gr8Tops tops and mine are very compatible; most of the "extras" I've designed could still be adapted to the Gr8Tops version without much trouble.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Back on topic...

I'm really finding a lot of uses for the inner fender mounts in both my LJ and my JK, they're permanent features on both Jeeps now. I'm on a trip right now in the JKU and carrying some gear I'll only need at my destination, so I've stored it in ammo cans on the trays - they've been out of the way the entire trip, leaving the cargo bay free for larger stuff. On the passenger side I've got a Fat 50 can, on the driver's side a "Tall 50". I'm not using the Molle grids on the mounts for this trip.

JKInnerFenderMount1_zpsis5vxxtg.jpg

JKInnerFenderMount2_zps95fqo49j.jpg

I use the one in my LJ for trail gear, and since I've got the soft sides on right now I've got my security trunk installed as well. The ammo tray doesn't conflict with the trunk or the back seat, and it's secure too with a locking strap holding the can in place.

LJConfig5_zpsufrwzquo.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Man I love that roof on the scrambler . Awesome job.

Thanks! But it's not a Scrambler, it's a 2006 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ); it's got a custom fiberglass hood, fenders and cowl panel and a factory CJ grille. It was another of my fiberglass projects, the goal was to put a CJ grille on a Wrangler and make it look like it came that way from the factory. Lots of people think it's a Scrambler :).

Some of the photos of it in this thread were taken when it still had the Wrangler grille/front clip, and some were taken after the CJ grille/custom front clip was installed, you can see both the before and after in the last few posts.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Any update on when these will be available?

Sorry, I don't have any new information, the last time I talked to them about it was at the show in Colorado. I'll send them an email and see if I can get a status update.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I was in a surplus store the other day and they had a stack of 25mm ammo cans - not a common size, so I grabbed one. It's a good size for recovery gear. Fits nicely in a jerry can holder, here it is on my spare-mount jerry can holder.

25mmOnSpare_zps8bc2sony.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles