Ammo can idea thread

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I ran across several different methods of adding a locking capability to ammo cans...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ammo-can-lock/:

F272S3UHBHGLFW4.MEDIUM.jpg

This one works for cans that have slots in the latches instead of round holes http://www.instructables.com/id/Ammunition-Canister-Lock-Box/?ALLSTEPS:

F5QF382FUI0WPJU.MEDIUM.jpg

http://www.instructables.com/id/A-Quickn-Dirty-Way-to-add-a-Padlock-to-your-Ammo-T/?ALLSTEPS:

FGYJV3HHX5H6TZ1.MEDIUM.jpg

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
There are latches you can buy that allow lockability as well. An L-shaped bracket that wraps over the top and front can go over a pin sticking through the hole in the latch. Then lock through the pin. This means you don't drill any holes in the can and lose watertight capability.
$(KGrHqN,!nUFJD6YkwmPBSZR-2M0Iw~~60_35.JPG

I have one of these and use it. Works great, but Id like the pin to be longer so it hits the side of the can and doesn't push in when I go to lock it.

quino171

There are latches you can buy that allow lockability as well. An L-shaped bracket that wraps over the top and front can go over a pin sticking through the hole in the latch. Then lock through the pin. This means you don't drill any holes in the can and lose watertight capability.
$(KGrHqN,!nUFJD6YkwmPBSZR-2M0Iw~~60_35.JPG

I have one of these and use it. Works great, but Id like the pin to be longer so it hits the side of the can and doesn't push in when I go to lock it.
Where can I score one of those?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Surplus stores or some outdoor stores have them too. Ive seen them at Jax Outdoors, Cabelas, Rural King, and Gander Mountain. Not always guranteed, but if they have a stock of surplus ammo cans, sometimes they order locks and stuff to sell with them.

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Yeah, I was using what I got. Ideally, a jam nut would be better and a slightly larger OD bolt would be better for the lock hole.

JCDriller

Adventurer
A while back I installed a 40mm ammo can on the driver side of my tire carrier. I really liked using it for recovery gear. It's always accessible even if I can't open my tailgate/drawer. However, it looked like a mailbox and just didn't look right (because looking cool is important right?!).

After doing some looking I found that the 60mm Tall Mortar cans are almost the same size as two 2 gallon rotopax, but they are expensive. I finally broke down the other day and ordered one, it got delivered today. I got off work about an hour early and decided to go ahead and install it. I still need to wire the drivers side accessory blinker (white spot on the end of the mounting arm)

BEFORE: 40mm

AFTER: 60mm Mortar

My wife tells me I have "A lot of Junk in my Trunk"...

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
I like it but if it were me it attach some additional brake lights with turn signals to rack above the tire. Just from a liability stand point.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

JCDriller

Adventurer
I like it but if it were me it attach some additional brake lights with turn signals to rack above the tire. Just from a liability stand point.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It has a brake light in the center of the wheel and accessory amber turn signals just inboard of the rotopax and ammo can. In the photos they are just small white circles, but they are really 3W amber led bolts hooked to the blinker.

Right blinker shot

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
In my searching around the 'net for ammo can ideas, I ran across a new small ammo can, so I had to get one. It's filled with 20 rounds of chocolate :).

ChocolateAmmo_zpsocgv40gt.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior