Americans! Dream of owning a Y61 Patrol?

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Cant say I have.... :/ but Im glad the petition is flying through all the auto forums. It needs to pass

bushnut

Adventurer
we have similar issues importing older vehicles from the US into Canada. My conspiracy theory is that it is a law designed to protect the auto industry. forcing us to buy new instead of good quality older vehicles. Its the same reason they don't build cars to last anymore...the auto industry can't make money if we're not buying new cars.

skibum315

Explorer
Something like that ...

Here's a good Petrolicious article that contains some of the history behind the US law, at least: http://www.petrolicious.com/petrolisti-unite-time-to-rewrite-a-foolish-law

I saw a R&T article yesterday that briefly discussed this and linked to the Petrolicious article ... I signed. Gimme my Patrol!!! Though, honestly, there's still the issue of parts & maintenance for a regular-use vehicle ... but it's a stupid law and we should change it. Hopefully this time the petition gets enough signatures to necessitate a response (IIRC it needs 100k within 30 days, and last time they didn't reach that bar).

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Some guys say you can buy Patrol parts (Y60/61) at any Nissan dealership. I haven't tried so don't know. But, you can buy just about everything on Ebay Australia and get it shipped over here easily. Shipping increases cost though.

Really nice 88 Y60 Safari (Patrol) high roof diesel just sold on Ebay yesterday for under $12k and it only had 27,000 miles on it. Screaming deal in my opinion and I would have bought it except I don't want to own a RHD truck.

Cheers

skibum315

Explorer
Unfortunately the proposed change to 15 years doesn't quite get you close enough to something like this 2007: http://costarica.craigslist.org/cto/4609055139.html, but that particular vehicle does answer the mail on RMPO's RHD/LHD concerns. ;)

Yes, shipping parts from AUS would be a deal breaker in a lot of cases, I suspect ... but don't know for sure. 15 yrs is better than 25 though!! There's always the show & display clause, if you're really desperate ... but I don't know the nuances of how it works, just that it exists and some have used it to side-step the federalization/import restrictions. Not nearly as straightforwards as the 1-time import that was in place before the current system, though ... at least if you believe the Petrolicious article I linked up above.

My ideal, I think, would be a Y61 like the one in the CL ad I've linked (text/pics below, for posterity), mild mods (similar to what's shown), and the factory 4.2L turbo diesel ... that is a vehicle I could grow old with ... :smiley_drive:

Costa Rica Craigslist said:
2007 Nissan Patrol 4x4 Turbo Diesel - ₡29500 (Perez Zeledon)
$29500
~3.0 direct injection turbo diesel
~KN air filter system
~Manual transmission
~All leather interior
~Dual AC
~Power doors, windows, seats & sunroof
~Keyless entry & alarm
~ARB bumper w/bullbar
~Bosch fog lights
~Warn winch w/remote
~Old Man Emu suspension
~New tires: BF Goodrich KM2 35x12.5Rx17
~6 disc CD changer
~Auto controls on steering wheel
~75K miles
8957-7177
Habla Español y inglés

-No contactarme por servicios u ofertas no solicitados

CR-Y61_01.jpg

CR-Y61_02.jpg

CR-Y61_03.jpg

CR-Y61_04.jpg

CR-Y61_05.jpg

CR-Y61_06.jpg

CR-Y61_07.jpg

CR-Y61_08.jpg

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I'm with you skibum. I would LOVE a Y61 outfitted similar to what these fine people had:

4.2l diesel, locker, tire carrier, OME lift, 37s, RTT, the whole nine. They drove for three years on some of the worlds most out of the way roads and in some seriously rugged country. They drove from Alaska, through Canada, meandered around the US, then through Central America, then explored South America. They then shipped the truck to South Africa, where they spent quite some time exploring, before making their way north, back into Europe, then all the way back to their home country of Norway. In all that time and all that driving, they never once had a major breakdown. If I recall correctly, they went through a set of tires, a wheel hub, some bushings, and a couple other very minor things. It's amazing what kind of abuse those vehicles will take.

If I could get one like that, I'd likely ditch the Frontier for it. Solid axles, reliable and efficient diesel engine, large amounts of interior storage space, and a huge aftermarket. What's not to like?

As for spare parts, I'd imagine some entrepreneurial spirits would find a way to bring a good amount of spares into the country for purchase (think Rovers North)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles